·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What gears come stock on an 05 gt vert?
What gears should I go to?
Will it change my fuel economy?
How much do you lose on top end speed.
How do I retune my SCT XCAL2 with the C&L Tune to account for the new gears?
Which manufacturer should I buy the gears from.
Thanks......

·
Registered
177 Posts
auto = 3.33 or something close to that #
manuel = 3.55

i have an auto, and got FRPP 4.10's and would recommend them to everyone with a gt. the ford gears are quiet i guess, i have no whining and no unusual noises, so i guess that is good. just make sure you get them installed at a shop that does lots of gear changes, and if they did a lot of mustangs before great. bc the 8.8 rear is the same as past years. i have lost nothing on the top end, i can still get to 140... the rpm's are up a tad and mpg goes down a tad, but who cares, throttle response goes way, way up.

i have a predator and changing the ratio was easy as 1,2,3. the xcal i know you can do it, just read the manual.

but def get 4.10's, you'll love em, if they get installed right.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
clubt said:
What gears come stock on an 05 gt vert?
What gears should I go to?
Will it change my fuel economy?
How much do you lose on top end speed.
How do I retune my SCT XCAL2 with the C&L Tune to account for the new gears?
Which manufacturer should I buy the gears from.
Thanks......
Hey clubt,
I went to the place you told me about … Leonards performance. They did my gears in 1.5 hours. I have a slight noise on deceleration, i.e., just gliding w/ your foot off the gas pedal. He said if it bothered me, he'd shim it or something. This is the same info I got when I called the ford tech hot line about gears and noise. They also recommended the 4.10's.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Sonny,

They seemed like they knew what they were doing. Noise makes me nervous as I know that would drive me nuts. 1 & 1/2 hours? Did you buy the gears there too and if so did they use the Ford Racing gears or some other kind. What was total cost?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
clubt said:
Hey Sonny,

They seemed like they knew what they were doing. Noise makes me nervous as I know that would drive me nuts. 1 & 1/2 hours? Did you buy the gears there too and if so did they use the Ford Racing gears or some other kind. What was total cost?
The very slight noise reminds me of all my former 4 speed stick cars. They provided the Ford racing gears and I asked him a ton of questions about stuff from this forum. He does about 70 sets of gears per year. He asked me how I was paying … cash/credit card. I said on your website it's $450.00. He said he must update that price! $500.00 cash did it and that also included the fluid. He used the synthetic and said there's no reason to change it a 500 miles. The Ford tech guy said on the phone it's your choice. Put in regular gear oil for 500 miles and then change it for the synthetic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts