Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know just enough to understand that putting in a steeper set of gears is one of the most bang for the buck upgrades there is. Are there any cons to doing this? I mean I know that it will give quicker acceleration, and thus quicker ricer kills, but are there any downsides? There's no such thing as a free lunch. For example, is there a loss in "drive-ability", gain in vibration, noise, or loss of gas milaege? (Who am I kidding, we drive Mustangs, we're really not concerned with gas mileage anyway!) Is there a better gear for autos vs manuals, highly tuned cars vs near stock cars, s/c vs n/a? I'd like to put in a set of 3.73's regardless, but I'd just like an idea of what issues I might end up with.

·
Registered
736 Posts
3.73's are about the best all around. No big difference in daily driving but you can tell when you mash the gas. Gas mileage is not really different in most gear ratios because the higher the rpms are the less of a load you put on the engine. It kinda equals out. I must say if your looking for a good performance kick I would stick some 4.10's in there. With the blower your gonna need sticky tires no matter what gear ratio you have. I spun up to 80mph in mine with the stock 3.27 gears on regular tires. Now I have Nitto Drag radials and they hook really well. Oh, autos usually go 1 gear steeper (numerically higher)

G

·
I had 3.73's in my blown 02 GT... Looking back at it. If I had to do it all over again, I would have left the stock gears in it for driving around town. For a track car, the car was geared perfect. I would trap at 116.5... Redline was about 119 in fourth gear and hit the rev limiter about 122 (I had it set at 6100). I didn't like having to shift outta fourth gear at 120 mph though... Just call me crazy, but I liked running that thing up to 140 mph in fourth... It's all personal preference though. To each his own. Look at your driving style and then figure it out for yourself... I personally made a mistake. I geared my car perfectly for the track... But in it's lifetime, it saw the track only three times. Stock, a couple bolt ons, and the blower.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've got 3.90s in a mostly stock 2002 GT. I like 'em. Gas mileage doesn't seem to have changed and the RPMs on the highway are still reasonable (approx 2500rpm @ 75mph in 5th).

The only difference in drivability is that I tend to start off in 2nd gear now under normal conditions -- 1st gear is kind of short unless I need to GO NOW!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Pros: Car is much more fun.

Cons: You will have to invest in new tires soon!:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I've got a set of Goodyear F1 GS D3's on the car now. They only have about 5K on them, but I'm sure I'll need new ones by November, huh? :winks Are there any gears I should avoid? I have seen a bunch of different manufacturers (Richmond, Motive, on eBay. Should I go stick with Ford Racing gears, or are gears gears?

·
Registered
30 Posts
There are a couple schools of thought on that one. Some people like the Ford Racing stuff mainly becuase they have that OEM name and you know what you are getting. Now Richmond has been doing these things for a long time too. So it's really a preference thing. Go with what you like. I personally bought the Ford Racing kit. It came with the shims that are needed for the install and i think that they all do??(Anyone confirm this??) I paid about $200 here locally for mine and that was really the reason for getting the Ford ones. The person who put them in seemed to think that they were a better choice anyway.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
3.73 computer adjustment

Hey guys. I just spent close to $1000 on new stuff for the car including the 3.73 gears and I have reached my budget spending limit on the car for the year. I can't buy the tuner to adjust the settings for the gears and other things. Can I just take it to the dealership and tell them what I have changed and they would just change the data in my car's computer:?: After all these tuners are not cheap.

·
Registered
31 Posts
have 3.73's wish they were 3.27's

I totally agree with the post above. I find that I don't use 1st gear for around town driving. I only use it on inclines so as not to wreck the clutch over time. Would rather have the stock gears in it as I don't race the vehicle and am basically driving a 4 speed now. Am going to swap to 3.27's when I can get a person to swap with.

G

·
yankcollector said:
I totally agree with the post above. I find that I don't use 1st gear for around town driving. I only use it on inclines so as not to wreck the clutch over time. Would rather have the stock gears in it as I don't race the vehicle and am basically driving a 4 speed now. Am going to swap to 3.27's when I can get a person to swap with.
Which post are you agreeing with?

·
Registered
31 Posts
3.73's

your post where if you had to do it all over again you would have stayed with stock gears for around town driving. 1st gear is really useless. I can't imagine how short 1st would be if I had 3.90's or 4.10's. Having just got the car I have yet to fill it with $3 a gallon gas so that I can check the mpg .

G

·
yankcollector said:
your post where if you had to do it all over again you would have stayed with stock gears for around town driving. 1st gear is really useless. I can't imagine how short 1st would be if I had 3.90's or 4.10's. Having just got the car I have yet to fill it with $3 a gallon gas so that I can check the mpg .
Just making that clear. That's all :wavey

·
Registered
308 Posts
96EvilGT said:
Hey guys. I just spent close to $1000 on new stuff for the car including the 3.73 gears and I have reached my budget spending limit on the car for the year. I can't buy the tuner to adjust the settings for the gears and other things. Can I just take it to the dealership and tell them what I have changed and they would just change the data in my car's computer:?: After all these tuners are not cheap.
The dealer I talked too about that said they could only retune up too 3:55 gear change.Just get a speedcal for now.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I'm thinkin 3.55's will be going in our 'vert early next year. If I get my way and a blower ends up on the car, 3.55's will be better than what we have now. However, we won't have quite the traction issues that 3.73's or 3.90's give. I'm thinkin the 3.55's will let me get into 5th gear at around 50 MPH which is where I cruise at around town for the most part. I have to rely on 4th at that speed so the clutch doesn't hate me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
speed cal

speed cal.. hummm what type and where do i get it? Thanks for the input guys :wavey

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.