Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I know you can probably tell that i am a noob/rookie by this question i am about to ask. I am about to buy a new Mustang 8.8" Rear Axle Assembly. I found a site where i can get them pretty cheap but i ran into a problem. One of the rear axle assembly i saw says 4.10:1 gear ratio and the other says 3.55:1Ratio, and also the last one says 3.73:1 Ratio. My question is, what is the different between this ratios? are they faster or slower than each other? The 4.10:1 gear ratio is way more expensive so i guess that might be somehow better than the others but i am not sure. Please help! :thanks:

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
the ratio refers to the number of times the driveshaft turns compared to the number of times the wheels turn.. using a higher ratio is like using a longer lever, you can apply more torque to a bolt using a long breaker bar compared to a normal socket wrench the same idea applies.. the overall affect is that you can achieve a better acceleration with a higher number gear..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the ratio refers to the number of times the driveshaft turns compared to the number of times the wheels turn.. using a higher ratio is like using a longer lever, you can apply more torque to a bolt using a long breaker bar compared to a normal socket wrench the same idea applies.. the overall affect is that you can achieve a better acceleration with a higher number gear..
ok so the 4.10:1 gear ratio is better then:?:

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
it depends.. sometimes with a manual transmission and 4.10 gears, your first gear will be so short that you'll have trouble using it in every day driving the higher gears are usually recommended for automatic cars.. 3.73 is the general advice for manuals

1 - 5 of 5 Posts