Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:headscratch::sook i have a 97 gt and yesterday i pull out of my driveway in reverse and take off fine then 10 miles down the road as i was trying to down shift from 5th gear to neutral it jammed wouldnt come out of 5th i had to turn the car off then put it in neutral then back on and away i went 1st, 2nd, 3rd...speeding away fine i go to down shift again, once again wont work, repeat turn off and back on ....my gear shift is stiff as can be refuses to move smoothly into any gear ....now it wont reverse at all acts as if reverse doesnt exist i have pumped the clutch doesnt do anything...while i have only had this vehicle a month it has been a lil difficult getting it to shift into reverse and third gear was giving me a lil trouble ...i have heard that i need to a)..tighten my clutch cable b) replace linkage c) tranny needs to be broken open....any thoughts would be highly appreciated

R

·
0 Posts
since you don't know the history of the car, it boils down to pretty much 2 things, either the clutch or trans, or both is shot and the only way to find-out for sure is to tear into it.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well..

well i bought it from a used car lot in 2004..it dove fine then my bro bought it from me and drove it around for about 3 years now i got it back from him so i mean if he found anything wrong i would think he would tell me ...then again he knows nothing about cars either especially this one

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alot

im not certain exactly the odometer is broke but it had 47000 when i handed it over to my bro and he drove it long distances so i would say about 120,000 at the most

·
Registered
179 Posts
id try adjusting the clutch and a change of tranny lube might smooth it up some. mines a little stiff shifting cold. warmed up its real smooth, im planning to replace the tranny lube with some good synthetic soon. clutch drag can be enough to cause this too,. once you eliminate these then its probubly time to get into the tranny and shifter to check for worn parts.

·
Registered
69 Posts
does it have a after market short shifter in it? i've heard alot of ppl have problems with one. one of the bolts on the pro 5.0 shifter has a tendacy to come loose. mine did at the track one night n i thought my tranny was gone cuz at first it just wouldnt go in to 4th then later reverse and at times it wouldn't shift at all n would all a sudden start workin fine then mess up again so i finally thought to check and the top connecting bolt was half way out

R

·
0 Posts
im not certain exactly the odometer is broke but it had 47000 when i handed it over to my bro and he drove it long distances so i would say about 120,000 at the most

wth that kinda' mileage and prob some abuse, I'm leaning towards a clutch and trany failure....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wth that kinda' mileage and prob some abuse, I'm leaning towards a clutch and trany failure....
yeah you prolly right, i have been told alot about the forks in the tranny being screwed...and my bro loves to imagine he's a racer....could you give me an idea on what i can look for to pay forr this to be fixed!?!?....thanx

R

·
0 Posts
yeah you prolly right, i have been told alot about the forks in the tranny being screwed...and my bro loves to imagine he's a racer....could you give me an idea on what i can look for to pay forr this to be fixed!?!?....thanx

depending on whats broken:scratchchin
new clutch is $200.00 to $300.00 for the parts and maybe @$300.00 to $400.00 on labor to R&R the clutch, now servicing the trans is another story, while the T-45 is a good trans, it does have some minor issues wth stncros, shift forks and shift selector arms....so to rebuild it, might be anywhere form a low of $400.00 in parts and labor to $800.00 for parts and labor or you can find new T-45's for around $1k....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
results...

just to let you know how it turned out ...the mechanic said i pretty much threw a syncronizer and a fork (the fifth and reverse)....they said they were going to repair the parts now they are saying they are going to replace the entire transmission estimated total of 2,500 2000 for the transmission and 500 labor:so

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.