Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I can say is wow what a difference can't seem to find traction from First to second gear but I love it. And once the tires hook I'm gone so I can bet quite a few GT's are gonna be seeing my tail lights lol

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would do this in a heartbeat, but concerned with losing too many MPGs. And I'm not sure that going to 3.55s or 3.73s will make that big of a difference.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally I was on the fence about 373s but they said with an auto transmission the car would like 410's better, gas isny effected to much if u cruise it tho.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was gonna do 373's but was told the auto trans would like 410's much more, gas is effected but not dramatically. Under normal drive conditions. But if you speed around town your gonna see a dent in fuel economy

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Since you've seen a loss of 1st and second gear traction would some one in a snowy, wintery area not want to do this? I see you live in New Mexico so that's no concern to you.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well 1st is lost putting the gas pedel to the ground, I mean if you drive like a Grandma they should be ok. But probably not the best for winter weather

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Since you've seen a loss of 1st and second gear traction would some one in a snowy, wintery area not want to do this? I see you live in New Mexico so that's no concern to you.
For the most part, our cars really aren't designed for the snow. You can get by, but IMO, having shorter gears would make no affect on snow driving. In fact, it might help some because the car would be able to shift into higher gears sooner.

The only thing good for snow is a set of snow tires. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,507 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
may want to start thinking about a driveshaft , you don't want any weak points if you hook up like a bat out of hell.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I would do this in a heartbeat, but concerned with losing too many MPGs. And I'm not sure that going to 3.55s or 3.73s will make that big of a difference.
3.55s would make little difference from 3.31s. The thing that keeps me from going to a larger gear ratio is the increased rpms/motor noise on the hwy at cruising speeds. If I were to go with a larger gear ratio I'd probably put the stock mufflers back on so I could hear myself think, let alone hear the car stereo. Getting the same mpgs as the 5.0L, minus 100+ hp really defeats the purpose of getting the 3.7L for me too.

·
Registered
405 Posts
All I can say is wow what a difference can't seem to find traction from First to second gear but I love it. And once the tires hook I'm gone so I can bet quite a few GT's are gonna be seeing my tail lights lol
You live in ABQ NM? I used to live out there in la cueva, I forgot what street everybody used to cruise on, the one where hooters is lol? I BET YOU BE killin all those ricers out there huh haha.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I was gonna do 373's but was told the auto trans would like 410's much more, gas is effected but not dramatically. Under normal drive conditions. But if you speed around town your gonna see a dent in fuel economy
You're looking at a loss of about 4 MPG minimum with 4.10's over the original 2.73's, maybe more.

·
Registered
206 Posts
ya i had 4.10s for a week and then went to 4.30s. what size, brand, tires do u have? any LCAs or anything done to the suspension to help stick the power? mine will stick all thru first on 235-50-17s

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya i had 4.10s for a week and then went to 4.30s. what size, brand, tires do u have? any LCAs or anything done to the suspension to help stick the power? mine will stick all thru first on 235-50-17s
You live in ABQ NM? I used to live out there in la cueva, I forgot what street everybody used to cruise on, the one where hooters is lol? I BET YOU BE killin all those ricers out there huh haha.
I have 275/35/19 michellin tires all around i need to go smaller in the fron because they rub sometimes but all in all great tires very expensive tho

and to 808mustang thats awesome bro you used to live down here. BTW the street your thinking of is montgomery lol and hell yeah ricers dont heven wanna play when they here these roush axelbacks at high rpm's lol:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sounds awesome!! Any chance you could post some video so we can all see how much faster we would get for those of us trying to decide which set of gears to get for our stangs?

Any plans for a future driveshaft upgrade?

·
Registered
405 Posts
haha o yea montgomery blvd! It also looks like thats the car wash on montgomery where u took that pic of ur ride. Ah I miss chillin at that Sonic on montgomery watchin' all the racin' down the street.

Are you gonna take ur stang on the drag strip n get some numbers? I would like to see a vid on how quick that 6 is w/ 4.10 gears. I think those gears go good with the terrain you deal with in sandia mts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts