Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 2000 gt 5 sp and i just got 4.10 gears installed and they r richmond??
they make no nosie under a pull but just crusing at a speed they whine kinda loud but no thumps or anything else i was just wondering if thats okay or..?

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Loud

New gears should not make loud whining noises. Where did you get them installed? Regardless, go back and take a ride with the manager and let him have a listen.

tripleblack

·
Registered
364 Posts
2000gt5 said:
i got a 2000 gt 5 sp and i just got 4.10 gears installed and they r richmond??
they make no nosie under a pull but just crusing at a speed they whine kinda loud but no thumps or anything else i was just wondering if thats okay or..?
I just had Motive 3.90 gears installed on my 02 and have no gear whine at all. (That I can hear over the Flowmasters, anyway!)

Take it back and have them check it out. Lots of gear whine is bad, I've heard that some gear sets do have a little whine, but it shouldn't be excessive.

·
Registered
383 Posts
After replacing my (having replaced) rear axles and diff carrier I have a small whine not under pull but when deceling I here it, I knida knew I was gonna hear some. 3:73 installed with incorrect backlash ( ithink thats what you call it ) anyway I dont think New gears should whine unless of course there not new

Good Luck!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I work for Sterling Axle and their are two reasons you can take back to the manager of store where you purchased the gears.
-The pattern is off on the gear and pinion
-check for nicks in the gear and pinion
Last year we had to go down to the mustang plant because of gear noise.
Those were the route causes.
Also, I didn't get what brand gear and pinion you have but of course product also plays a big part as well. You get what you pay for type thing.
http://Xtremesynthetic.com when you get it straightened out put in synthetic lube in the gear and pinion their is less of a break down rate under a load.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Some brands such as Richmond have a tendancy to whine but for the most part it's do to poor installation. I've had three sets of gears put in ( 1 I put in) and never had a problem. Gear whine is fairly common, but shouldn't be. Just find a shop not inhabited by dipsh*ts and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Agree with trippleblack and Langod;
new gears should not make a lot of noise.

My guess is that the installation is not 100%.
Check wear pattern on the ring gear with some marking compound.
If necessary, re-adjust gear position.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just installed 373 in my 7.5 rear end... whines at acceleration, but was told is normal... i think its bull... crappy install. will take it back if gets any worse.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
GEAR NOISE

An improper gear pattern, gear damage, or improper bearing preload can cause a “howling” or “whining” noise from the ring and pinion gear. It can occur at various speeds and driving conditions, or it can be continuous. Before disassembling axle to diagnose and correct gear make sure that tires, exhaust, and vehicle trim have been checked as possible causes

This info and more from:
Escondido Transmission Differential Symptoms

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey i was just wondering because my friend told me this before. He said that his cousin got his gears changed and his new ones have that same whining noise. he told me that it actually sounded pretty cool though, almost like a supercharger. is this true at all??

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
i have gear whine under deceleration too but i dont worry about it, it dont hurt nothin... everything still works just fine :) however, im sure its NOT supposed to be there, but i figure between the Torsen diff and the 3.73s, at SOME speeds im bound to have a little bit of whine:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
51 Posts
so heres my story... i got my new FRPP 3.73 gears installed by strictly performance today. driving back to southeast houston, i hear a HORRIBLE whine only while coasting through 30-10 mph. i dont exaggerate, it is very loud. only while decelerating. i got my car back after they closed so i will have to talk to them tomorrow

i was looking through the forums and saw many ideas like they need to be broken in, or not aligned blahblah but strictly is a great shop and cant really believe just yet that they installed my gears wrong

anyone have similar stories?

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
There are tons of similar stories.
If you describe it as a "horrible" whine, then you have a reason to be concerned about it.
I have also heard about some brands of gears making more noise than others (I think it was Motives) but I have FRPP's that I installed myself and don't get any whine.
Even good shops can make a mistake now and then. I'm not saying they did, but it wouldn't hurt to have it checked out if you think something might be wrong.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Here's the critical final step in a new gear install, break in and heat cycling.

If this is not done, you will have nothing BUT trouble from a brand new set of gears. Drive the car moderately for 45-60 minutes and park the car for 3-4 hours. Do this 5-10 times. This will allow for a solid wear pattern to set in and will also finish hardening the new gears before you jump on the gas hardcore. I would drive the car enough for this to happen before heading back to the installer.

If the new gears are still making a lot of noise once a wear pattern has set in, then there is definitely a problem. It could be a simple as backlash not being properly measured.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Here's the critical final step in a new gear install, break in and heat cycling.

If this is not done, you will have nothing BUT trouble from a brand new set of gears. Drive the car moderately for 45-60 minutes and park the car for 3-4 hours. Do this 5-10 times. This will allow for a solid wear pattern to set in and will also finish hardening the new gears before you jump on the gas hardcore. I would drive the car enough for this to happen before heading back to the installer.

If the new gears are still making a lot of noise once a wear pattern has set in, then there is definitely a problem. It could be a simple as backlash not being properly measured.
I agree 100% with Blue Streak.

Quite frankly I am tired of hearing about "certain brands of gears are worse....". Frankly, it doesn't matter one bit as long as the new gears are installed properly meaning pinion depth and backlash are in spec.

Before I did gears on mine, I too asked on here and everyone that responded said Motive brand were the worse, blah blah blah....Guess what, I bought Motive brand installed them myself, set the depth and backlash, checked the paddle marks, HEAT CYCLED the gears just as Blue Streak said and I have no noise whatsoever.

Installation and breakin are key, period. :bigthumbsup

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
both are good recommendations, and I DID break my gears in by heat cycling them as you both stated.

If you read around a bit about gears you'll also find many people claiming the break-in period is BS.

I don't see what it can hurt and think it makes sense. But there are people who've just gone out and romped on them and don't have problems.

To each their own. I don't think gears should make noise at all. Let alone "horrible" whining.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My gears are all ^%$&% up. they clunk on deceleration. and Acceleration. They wine on both also. had them in for about 3 years, and now this. I need to have them replaced, but am wondering what to expect dollar wise when I get estimates. Can someone here give me a ball park figure so I don't pass-out when they tell me.
By the way it's a 2002 GT with 4.10 FRRP gears. I did use royal purple gear lube too thinking it was the **** for lube, but have now read otherwise.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
My gears are all ^%$&% up. they clunk on deceleration. and Acceleration. They wine on both also. had them in for about 3 years, and now this. I need to have them replaced, but am wondering what to expect dollar wise when I get estimates. Can someone here give me a ball park figure so I don't pass-out when they tell me.
By the way it's a 2002 GT with 4.10 FRRP gears. I did use royal purple gear lube too thinking it was the **** for lube, but have now read otherwise.

I'm sorry...I read your post 4 times but couldn't stop looking over at your avatar and lost my train of thought each time...could you dumb it down for those of us that are fixated on your avatar? :D

Gears will run you about $180ish and a professional install should be about 3 hours at whatever labor rate they charge in your area. When I did mine, I changed the carrier pack as well as bought the shim kit/installation kit for it so I paid $225 for the parts.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
If you've got a set of shot gears in the differential, you may want to go ahead and do a rebuild kit also, I'm not sure what they cost, but I have a sneaky feeling that there may be more issues in the differential than you realize right now.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
+1 on getting the install kit.
+1 on your avatar.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.