Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everyone? I'm looking to get some gears for my stang, either 3.73's or 3.90's. Which ones would you recommend and what would this mean for driving at high speeds..a.k.a. over 100? Would I lose acceleration? I know my top speed will decrease but that's not a concern for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My Cobra had the 4.10's when I bought it- so I have nothing to compare to. But from what I understand, with bigger gears, your car will pull harder in all gears- first thru fifth- I know mine does.. I just raced an SRT8 Dodge Magnum from 3rd to 5th and pulled five cars on him. And the SRT8 is a 345 hp 6.1L hemi beast. I'd go with the 3.90's or 4.10's- especially if you don't commute long distances on a daily basis. The gears will only hurt mileage if you're driving highway speeds in fifth for long periods of time (since your rpm's will be higher with your new gears). The mileage difference for city type driving isn't even noticeable. My mileage is around 20-22 mpg (all city driving).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine's an automatic, does that change anything?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't think so, but I'm not an expert, and I'm brand new to Mustangs. But don't worry, the gear question is a hot topic, and I'm sure some more knowledgeable guys will chime in. I know I've read some really informative threads on this very site. Just do a search on gears, there's alot of good info here.

·
Registered
119 Posts
get the 4:10's i have them in my 5 spd and they are great but i would definitly get the 4"10's with the auto trans

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I'll look into it more. Looks like the 4.10's are the way to go. Any more comments or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is quite alot of discussion on this board and others when it comes to gears. From all the threads I've read the consensis for a daily driven GT with automatic tranny is 4.10 gears. Cobra-4.10's, GT w/ 5-speed-3.73's. I noticed that people who don't use their car as a daily driver and/or drag race often use either 4.10's or 4.56's in a GT w/ auto tranny. If it were up to me I'd go with 4.10's in an auto. I have yet to get gears for my 5-speed, but like warcat said, and from people I've talked to with gears, their cars pull harder in every gear.

-Jesse

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know if it voids the warranty? Sorry I'm throwin alot of questions out there, I don't know that much about gears. And one more thing. About the whole speedo issue, do u have to get a tuner like the predator or xcal to fix that or is there another option?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I heard they don't work on automatics. Here's proof, straight from their website:
"A great fix with quick, simple installation on all 1994 and up 5 speed equipped Mustangs and 1994-98 automatic equipped Mustangs." Any other solutions??? I don't feel like dropping an extra $400 for a DiabloSport Predator since I am only 18 and don't have that kind of money to throw away being a college student and all.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Might just want to look around for a shop that can set the correct gear ratio for you. Houston Performance will do that here in Houston and not for much money. When I used to do conversion trucks and vans, after we changed the wheels and tires we would have to bring it to the dealer and they would change the speedo setting to be correct with the lower profile tires that we would install. so you might just call the local Ford dealer and see if they could set it for you after the gears are installed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
warcat said:
... And the SRT8 is a 345 hp 6.1L hemi beast.....
425hp - 420tq - 4200#

You dog! 5 car lengths..... :doh:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Just remember the 4.10 is goin to go a lil bit faster and top out a lil bit quicker then a 3.90... I have a 5 spd and im getting the 3.90 actually as we speak, I don't know about the autos... but as far as speed recalibration, you might as well get an ECU like a Xcal2 or Diablo Predetor... It's a couple hundred extra but in most opinions next to the gear it's the best bang for the buck...

·
Registered
364 Posts
I got 3.90s put in my 5-speed last summer. I like them. I haven't noticed any significant decrease in MPG, but the fun factor is WAY up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help guys. Anyone know what the stock gearing for an automatic is?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.