Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,

Why is it that you will sometimes hear a recommendation to stay with a relatively mellow gearing if your power-adder is a Turbo? I have no experience with power adders, but it seems to me that a nice set of 4.10s would be ideal when mated with a turbo. The gears for power down low, then the turbo kicks in up top. But reputable folks have recommended just the opposite, gear-wise. In fact, I have heard that our stock ratio is ideal. Why is this, and would this also apply to centrifugal blowers like the Vortech? And is this recommendation specific to drag racing?

I don't want to cripple myself from a dig...the idea of turbo lag and spool-up don't appeal to me, but on the other hand I love the idea of the turbo's efficiency and power. I'm trying to find the ideal balance of gears and power adder to get grunt all the way through the power band. I'm thinking either a Twin-screw with stock 3.55s, a centrifugal with 4.10s, or a Turbo with...?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Your going to have traction issues with steep gears and boosted applications.

It applys to superchargers and turbos.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your going to have traction issues with steep gears and boosted applications.

It applys to superchargers and turbos.

Why? Got 3.55s, want to bolt in a set of 3.90 in my turbo, manual car. What problems can i expect under what conditions?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Turbos have 2 things to consider: higher torque than most superchargers, and less parasitic loss, so higher power overall. If you really look at the power and torque curves from a twin screw to a turbo, the increase in torque from 2k to 3k with the twin screw is not that extreme, so in all reality, the differences on the bottom end are minimal from turbo or centri to a twin screw. The bottom line is in either case you will have too much power in first and probably second with any short gear.

If you haven't already gone to a 4.10, I would put the FI in first, then decide if you want to put more torque to the ground. If you are racing quarter mile, then do some runs with FI to see where in 4th gear you are at the end of the track before deciding on new gears. Aside from being able to burn the tires or racing quarter mile, shorter gears with FI are only good for third and fourth gear accelleration, they are just too short for 1st and 2nd..

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
And most people think of lag in a bad way. Maybe if you have a 4 banger honduh that cant break the tires loose lag is gonna piss you off. But when a mustang that can already smoke 1st and 2nd, whats more power down low gonna do for you? You can launch get a sweet 60 your out and into boost ready to fly whats the problem.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Preston951. I noticed you reference left handed recognition. I can't imagine being left handed and driving a manual transmission mustang. Shifting must be a *****????????????????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.