Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ran my car at the track today... 16 seconds stock.... looking to get into the 15's and decided i want to start with 3.73 gears with t lok. so where is the best place to get them at thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
why not 4.11s they wont destroy your car from drivable...id say thats really the best in between gear set that you can get....its to the point where its like wow good thing i didnt go 1 more step up and you wont lost much of a top speed if at any (if you like driving 160 mph everwhere not for you) but in that case you need to be pulled off the road :p....but thats what i suggest

·
Registered
477 Posts
if its stick you should go with the 3.73's, if its auto a lot of people say go with the 4.10's. While the rear end is open maybe go with a T-Lok also to put power to both rear wheels

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
if its stick you should go with the 3.73's, if its auto a lot of people say go with the 4.10's. While the rear end is open maybe go with a T-Lok also to put power to both rear wheels
FALSE

This is a common misconception people say because other people say because other people say because other people think so.

The main reason that this is thought is because the first 2 gears in an automatic are geared slightly lower than a manual. The quicker gears (4.10s) make up for that.

However... Doesn't the current auto keep up with the manual EXTREMELY well? Stock for stock, there may be 1 to 2 tenths of a second off of a 1/4 mile between the two. Technology has advanced... Ford got smurt! :D

The one tried and true method of choosing your gears is planning ahead. If you want to supercharge/turbocharge/use nitrous and have a HIGH HP car, 4.10s are way to much. Manual and automatic alike. You'll better benefit from 3.73s once you have all that power... A little more time in your power band isn't a bad thing! :)

By the way. I'm an auto and I'm 99% sure I'll be doing 3.73s... I want to put a twin-screw in later. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
With a v6 id grab some 4.10s!
I absolutely love 'em in my GT.

·
Registered
558 Posts
once im done being broke i i plan on putting 3.73 in. had them in my 6 and i loved them, can only imagine whats gonna happen with my GT:happyhapp

·
Registered
465 Posts
The rule is usually to go with 4:10 for auto and 3:73 for manual. I've had 4:10's for 3 years and love them. The OD allows me to get pretty decent MPG.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rule is usually to go with 4:10 for auto and 3:73 for manual. I've had 4:10's for 3 years and love them. The OD allows me to get pretty decent MPG.
what is the mpg's you get with them

·
Registered
465 Posts
what is the mpg's you get with them
I've never actually measured it but I'd guess around 20 - 21 combined around town and highway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok im still trying to decide which ones.. it will still be a few weeks probaly

I've never actually measured it but I'd guess around 20 - 21 combined around town and highway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.