Ford Mustang Forum banner

Gears, how much to install?

1662 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Waxed'05 GT
Hey fellas, quick question... How much should gears (say 4.10) cost me to have professionally installed? And who should I go to?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
IMO, I would use FRPP gears and have the dealer install them. That way you maintain your factory warranty, should something go wrong.
Thanks Waxed, I'll look into that.
Not all dealers will bite on that one! My selling dealer would not install my 4.10s, and they're the ones I bought the gears from! I've known every service writer and tech there for 12-years, but the shop foreman said no; he just didn't want to do it. Nor would another nearby dealer. I ended up going to a shop that does a lot of musclecar restoration work. They charged me a little over $400. Warranty coverage on a modification is at individual store discretion.
$400 for just the install?? EEEKKK. I paid $425 parts and labor.
River View Ford in Oswego said they would for me, it is a non-union shop.
jim83181 said:
Thanks Waxed, I'll look into that.
Yea, that's $100 per shop hour, plus all the gaff stuff they tack on at the end.
What's the book time, 2 1/2 hours???
Wow I didn't realize it would cost so much... maybe I'll hold out a bit til i strike it rich, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
I've been quoted between 5 and 5.9 hours by several local shops.
Waxed'05 GT said:
What's the book time, 2 1/2 hours???
WOW, that's more than I thought. But what is the "Book time" on this, that leaves little room for the shops to say, "yeah, we'll take you for 10 hours".
5twenty said:
I've been quoted between 5 and 5.9 hours by several local shops.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.