Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, quick question... How much should gears (say 4.10) cost me to have professionally installed? And who should I go to?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
IMO, I would use FRPP gears and have the dealer install them. That way you maintain your factory warranty, should something go wrong.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Waxed, I'll look into that.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Not all dealers will bite on that one! My selling dealer would not install my 4.10s, and they're the ones I bought the gears from! I've known every service writer and tech there for 12-years, but the shop foreman said no; he just didn't want to do it. Nor would another nearby dealer. I ended up going to a shop that does a lot of musclecar restoration work. They charged me a little over $400. Warranty coverage on a modification is at individual store discretion.

·
Registered
767 Posts
$400 for just the install?? EEEKKK. I paid $425 parts and labor.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
jim83181 said:
Thanks Waxed, I'll look into that.
River View Ford in Oswego said they would for me, it is a non-union shop.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yea, that's $100 per shop hour, plus all the gaff stuff they tack on at the end.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
What's the book time, 2 1/2 hours???

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow I didn't realize it would cost so much... maybe I'll hold out a bit til i strike it rich, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Waxed'05 GT said:
What's the book time, 2 1/2 hours???
I've been quoted between 5 and 5.9 hours by several local shops.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
5twenty said:
I've been quoted between 5 and 5.9 hours by several local shops.
WOW, that's more than I thought. But what is the "Book time" on this, that leaves little room for the shops to say, "yeah, we'll take you for 10 hours".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts