Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 01 Auto and I am looking to put gears in it. I have been looking around and got some mixed results and figured I would post it on here. I heard that the 4.10 gears would be ideal because of me having a auto but on the bad side I heard that gas milage will drop so they suggested to go with 3.73 gears but also heard that I won't really notice the differenc on a auto and 3.73 would be better for a manual. So my question is this is 4.10 gears really bring my gas milage down alot or go with a 3.73.

·
Registered
383 Posts
from everything i've read on this site about gears; the genreal census is that they do effect the gas milage, but not much. the majority of people say the 4.10's are the way to go. i guess the best thing to do is research it a little more and come to a conclusion on your own. there is plenty info about gears on this site, you just have to look.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have 3.73's and a auto and gas milage was only affected a little. but like everyone say the high way driving suxs. i do about 3000 rpm in overdrive doing 80. so dont try to get in a high speed chase...lol... but dont get me wrong, having big gears does make the launches and daily driving fun!!

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
I like my 3:73's and it feels different on the highway than my old 3:27's. I launch better at the track though. 4:10's are fine as long as you don't do alot of highway driving, but the auto helps a little because of the overdrive. If you're a redlight racer, then 4:10's work.......

BTW, don't forget to get a t-lock of some sort for it........

·
Registered
286 Posts
i just installed 3.73's on my car, made a world of difference, fun to drive.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone I think I will go with the 3.73 because I usually do long drives every once in a while and sounds like it would be way better then trying to do 70 in 4.10 gears thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.