Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im stuck between getting FRPP 4.10 gears and the SCT Livewire custom tuner from American Muscle. dont have the money for both.

which would you guys prefer?

i like the tuner because it gives you estimates, more hp/tq, and sits in the windshield and looks badass.

i like the gears because it really pulls. i dont do any highway and like to race my friends.

·
Banned
950 Posts
ok im stuck between getting FRPP 4.10 gears and the SCT Livewire custom tuner from American Muscle. dont have the money for both.

which would you guys prefer?

i like the tuner because it gives you estimates, more hp/tq, and sits in the windshield and looks badass.

i like the gears because it really pulls. i dont do any highway and like to race my friends.
id have to say this is the best question asked in a long time, at least for those of us who dont have a million dollars and are upgrading on a budget and over long term.

ive actually been thinking about this. i dont drive much highway and if i were to need to, it would most definitely be cause of my fiance and we would just take her car. im leaning for the gears cause its instantly noticeable and the comments ive read about guys who have done it have been amazing to read. im thinking im not going to do the tuner till i do my first major hp adder (stage 2 cams, heads, tb and plenum + something, things like that).

i think for now, its going to be the gears. since im staying n/a (at least for now i plan to) its gonna be 4.10's all the way.

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
id have to say this is the best question asked in a long time, at least for those of us who dont have a million dollars and are upgrading on a budget and over long term.

this is asked a ton!

anyways i say tuner because with out one u cant change speedo gears

then 4.10s

·
Banned
950 Posts
this is asked a ton!

anyways i say tuner because with out one u cant change speedo gears

then 4.10s

you do make a valid point. :scratchchin a tuner is needed for that. and yeah it is i suppose, i just havent seen it asked in a while, and i happened to be thinking about it this week.

and before you ask or as your thinking to yourself "youve only been a member since this month" , ive been on this site for a long time, just only reistered when i was finally getting my mustang. :gringreen

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
you do make a valid point. :scratchchin a tuner is needed for that. and yeah it is i suppose, i just havent seen it asked in a while, and i happened to be thinking about it this week.

and before you ask or as your thinking to yourself "youve only been a member since this month" , ive been on this site for a long time, just only reistered when i was finally getting my mustang. :gringreen

its ok lol

still more ppl ask "what muffler will sound the best " a ton more

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
WELL as far as the tuner/gears question heres my 2 cents....

u DONT need the tuner for ur speedo to recalibrate... steeda sells a little plastic gear that goes in the transmission that is about 98% accurate on fixing the speed providing ur running stock tires... the stangs that were made BEFORE 99 have this gear (98 and earlier years) 99, YES you need a tuner...and both the OP and **** have cars that are pre 99:bigthumbsup (yes i DO read signatures before i give advice on "their" car lol)

OK so my next point, a tuner ALSO doubles up as an OBD II scanner, a HP/TQ estimater, a 0-60 time and 1/4 estimater (if u dont have a track for any of this anywhere close by like i dont, this is a great feature to at least get a ballpark on ur 1/4 mile) ALSO the tuner can increase slight amounts of power just with the stock engine by telling it to run more fuel and air... and even 93 octane.... AND when u do modifications, you can add them to ur new tune cuz American Muscle gives u free custom tunes for life if u buy the tuner from them at least i know this is true of the SCT3 tuner... cuz i too am/was researching the same question...

the gears definitely give u a LOT more pull and the feel of the pants type deal, but for as handy as the tuner is, i vote go with the tuner....gears def. help put ur power to the ground, but i got gears first (cuz i can put them in myself and only cost 150 bucks :) ) but i think i want a tuner next more than anything...then i can start modding and have my car run right...

i vote tuner cuz of these cars' ability to be so plug n play friendly...:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I say tuner, you can check CEL codes and add some performance too. Also not to mention, as you add on performance parts, the tunes makes it all worth while:hihi: Of course, gears will come in sooner or later:D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Tuner then gears.

I got gears before tuner, but i didnt care about the speedo being innacurate.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
$$$

I guess it depends on if you're gonna do the gears yourself. I don't know how much one would pay for having the gears installed. I do know a lot of mechanics that don't like doing gears, because it's a PITA. I did my own, and...it ended up being one of those projects that just keeps growing in cost. I'm not a fan of half-assing things. So if I'm gonna tear my whole rear differential apart, I might as well beef up the axles too. I needed Moser 31 spline axles $
31 spline axles require a new carrier since stock was 28 splines, which required...31 spline differential $$ Why stick with the stock differential cover when you can get one that braces it? $$$
Then you'll need to buy the install kit with all your bearings, bearing races, shims, seals, axle bearings, etc...$$$$
If you don't have all the high speed tools to install the gears, (in/lb torque wrench, magnetic base dial indicator, calipers...) $$$$$

My point is that the gears are inexpensive, though the ass-pain and other costs associated with them are quite numerous. BUT...It's well worth it. Then you can tune it with your tuner later. Adjust your speedo and run the car on a 91 octane program and spend even more $$$ because you can't keep your foot out of the gas because your 4.10's make the car fun as hell to drive.

Doesn't Americanmuscle offer a kit with all that crap together? Save up and do that. :bigthumbsup

P.S. I'm not rich. I'm just stupid and caught the Mod-bug for the Mustang.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hahah
like you guys said the livewire lets you plug in and can read est. and clear codes and get free tunes. the 4.10's would be great everytime you touch the pedal...im going to keep reading and thinking about it. thanks for the comments and everything guys!

·
Registered
192 Posts
i have both and gears are best.if your short on cash get the gears and see if ford garage can set speedo for a minimal cost. when i changed tires on my pick-up chevy dealer corrected it for 60bucks.might be worth checking into.i havetuner and like it but since im getting cams i have to pay for dyno tune now:headscratch:wich is 500 more bucks.i should have waited.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I put the 4.10 gears in my 98 GT first. I didn't care about the speedo. i wanted the performance. And that is what i got. what a difference on the street and the track. I then bought a speed calibrator to fix my speed. If you want to feel a difference right away i would say get the 4.10's, but either way you go will be a step in the right direction:D Good Luck

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
and AGAIN, 94-98 (SN95) you can just simply buy the speedo gear that goes with the gear ratio per application for only 15-20 bucks shipped.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Did you account for gear installation, install kit, gear oil, and friction modifier into your budget? Having a nice set of gears does no good if you can't afford everything to install them. Figure $200 labor, total cost is going to be around $450 for the gears.

If the answer is YES, I did, then get the gears for your car. If it was a 99+ that you would have to electronically fix the speedo, I'd say tuner first.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I liken this question to another one:

Would you rather have a pellet rifle or an AK-47? Sure, they both fire projectiles- but one can barely break the skin from 200ft and the other can remove your head from 200 yards.

Given your level of modification, the tuner isn't worth it- not even close. The gears have the potential to knock close to half a second off of your E/Ts. All a tuner will do is bump timing. In order to actually see real tuning benefits, you'll need to dyno tune. Even then you may only squeeze 5 or so rwhp out of the car at your current level of modification. The dyno time adds up and will certainly make the tuner a more expensive proposition than the gears.

Gears all the way. No question.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.