Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

here is what we are talking about

Mustang 289 A-code, 1964 1/2 through 1968, and the unknown year brings my first question. How do I tell the year of the block, and where can I find the casting number?

This engine is not in a car, but rather at the company's shop (lots of cars used in these films) and they are going to pay me with this engine (I agreed to this, since I have a Fairlane that needs a running 289). I don't know what it's internals are, yet, I'm going to ask, but I have been told this about it:

It runs well, and was taken from a Mustang
It was removed because it ran hot
I don't know how hot, or if it was hot on one or both sides
As Palm Springs is a Desert, the Mustang/Falcon radiator may not have been able to handle it, so my huge A/C Fairlane radiator may eliminate this problem (would it?)
They knew about ignition problems (and to prove that it was good, they salvaged that from this engine and put it back in that Mustang. That's all they took, they planned on using this one again)

I know head gaskets can cause lopsided overheating on our 289s. Why? How? I know also that old engines get crazy little mountains of rust inside the block that sometimes block passages, causing overheating, of course. People who found this problem say they washed it out and that fixed the problem. How do I do this? Don't say radiator flush please, I can take this motor apart whenever I want and would like to do a thorough job. I'm wondering, is that what the freeze plugs are for? I also hear earlier mustang blocks had a defect that caused hot running when bored over. If I could find out what years had this problem, that would be great. I have my Fairlane's old block still, it's standard but needs to be bored over so I'd just measure the new engine's bore and do the '66 block over if It's any newer than this block, and transfer the internals.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should write too much for my first post on this thread. If I am unclear on anything you would like to know, ask and I will post with whatever. I am headed to work now and will find out all I can. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I now know I have a newer block than my '66. I took a look at it a minute ago, and now I've hopped back online here to tell you it's a 1967 "Whoops we ran out of 289s so let's put a 302 block in it" 289. C80E-6015-C.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.