Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was easily scared (not rly haha) by my dealer in asking them what would happen if I decided to tune my car, well for one they said even if I reverted to stock they would know, (I kinda doubt), and the first guy I talked to, whom I dont usually talk to about my car there actually said I already voided my warranty for putting my borlas and my CAI on (total bs).

My main question is Im just curious as to if anyone has noticed ANY problems with their ponies after they've tuned them, in particular, those with V6 Auto's. I really want to get the full potential out of my mods but am a little shady on what my guy told me (was honest), but also kind of weary about other things. For one he also told me that the tunes can put more pressure on the tran. lines (most common) and can destroy/blow the transmission over time.

Im curious as to A. How long you've had your tunes running on your cars (milage/time) B. If you have encountered any problems WHATSOEVER, or noticed anything wearing if you have say brought your car in for an oil change and noticed on the inspectino report, C. If anyone has even heard of anything wrong with any BAMA tunes, and D. If BAMA is really as safe as they claim to be (which I am leaning towards a strong yes)... I mean I havent heard anything myself wrong about BAMA but I want to hear firsthand from you all, especially the more seasoned owners. THANKS GUYS!

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
The tunes are great, they work well and will actually extend the life of your automatic because they reduce the slippage of the clutches in the transmission.

The dealer is always going to tell you a worst case scenario.

Do your own oil changes, simplest service there is on your car next to changing the air filter.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I havent been running mine for very long, but like the person above said, its actually better for your car. The dealer of course is going to lie and make you not want to get the tune. As for what he said about already voiding your warranty, the way that works (From what I've been taught) they would have to PROVE that whatever the problem was, it was caused by (Say your new intake, they have to prove the problem was caused from that) so if your rear bumper fell off, theyd have to prove it was your intake that caused the problem, which obviously it didnt, so youd still be under warranty. But like I said, thats just what I feek to be correct. Dont quote me.

·
Registered
532 Posts
What I don't get about this whole tuning and voiding warranty is:

a) Why would Ford even technically allow any tampering (if you will) with their proprietary ECU if it would void the warranty? They could easily put codes in that would cause the car to STOP working if it was tampered with in anyway.

b) Has BAMA ever been held liable in a dispute between a car owner and Ford? Has a dispute gone to court?

c) There is an entire billion dollar aftermarket industry that not only creates jobs, pays taxes, etc., but it is also very supportive of the auto industry by allowing those that want to to enhance their experience. Ford (and others) benefit by the aftermarket products because it makes their base products perform better, look better, and consequently, stimulates interest and sales.

The bottomline is I'd like to see a court ruling regarding any warranty voiding and where the responsibility lies. Other than that it's all just speculation, worry, or bad information.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tunes are great, they work well and will actually extend the life of your automatic because they reduce the slippage of the clutches in the transmission.

The dealer is always going to tell you a worst case scenario.

Do your own oil changes, simplest service there is on your car next to changing the air filter.
Yea once I use my free oil changes that is exactly what I plan on doing. I just need to let more people reply to this on if they have had any problems with their stangs running the tunes.

There is law regarding new car warranties, it's called the moss-magnuson warranty act.
And yes I know of this, and your original statement (or whoever it was) about the cars problem not being related to the aftermarket part and you being in the clear is true of the act, although the dealers really try to get you to not believe that haha, mine tried saying "Oh you altered something with the drivetrane, you voided it." I was like HAH i laugh at how much you try to get me to believe that bs.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I havent used them very long (about 2 months) but my car runs great.

I'm quicker, faster, it's way more fun to drive, it feels like a manual when it shifts on wot, and I'm getting better MPG. Yeah, I love my Bama tunes!:winks

And as stated above, the tune actually makes it easier on the auto trans. It may not seem like it when it slams into gear, but the way the factory sets it up to slip so you can't feel it is worse!

As for the dealer "being able to tell" Not sure about that. But you can say that you hooked up a device to check for codes and to datalog your car.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ Very true. But I wonder if maybe I tell them I went to get it dynoed??? Cause doesnt the car have to be dyno tuned before they can run the results and run the car itself??? Maybe that could be my plan C backup.... anyone concur?

·
Registered
288 Posts
No, you do not have to tune a car to Dyno it. If you look at BAMA's YouTube videos, you'll see they dyno'e their test car sock and after it was tuned to see the differences.

Your backup with the tune if you have a problem is to flash the ECU back to stock and then disconnect your battery for 5 minutes. This clears out the variable data and erases any indication the car has been tuned. When they ask you what happened, you tell them the batter cable was loose and the car died. You reconnected it and chsrged it up...

·
Registered
203 Posts

so you are saying that slamming the gears in is better for the transmission:?: (at full throttle)
explain it how? thanks

when you drive a manual and keep slamming the gears in is that supposed better for the tranny??? (at full throttle)

·
Registered
203 Posts
There is law regarding new car warranties, it's called the moss-magnuson warranty act.

this wont help you much when you blow your engine and ford wants your ecu for examination! and iam pretty sure that ford ( not the dealer) can tell that the ecu has been reflashed and more! (chevy can tell that you had a tune!!!!! so why not ford:?::winks)
ford makes sure they wont get ripped off with warranty claims:nono:!
you PLAY you PAY

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
so you are saying that slamming the gears in is better for the transmission:?: (at full throttle)
explain it how? thanks

when you drive a manual and keep slamming the gears in is that supposed better for the tranny??? (at full throttle)
Slamming the gears in?

No, but a firm solid shift is better for the clutches in an automatic than an easy shift because the clutches are slipping more on the easy shift.

Most, and I repeat MOST, people don't want their automatic transmission to shift firm. As a matter of fact they don't care to feel the shift at all if they don't have to so Ford compromises and makes a cushy shift that you can feel but just barely. They do this by modulating the fluid pressure in the transmission that applies the force to the clutches. By increasing this fluid pressure the clutches grab quicker and more solidly so they don't slip as much. More slippage means more wear so less slippage means less wear.

Now, there is a point where increasing the fluid pressure makes the shift too hard and then it can be detrimental to the hard parts in the transmission and would then reduce the life of the transmission. But they don't make that fluid pressure that high in the tunes the tuners provide.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Slamming the gears in?

No, but a firm solid shift is better for the clutches in an automatic than an easy shift because the clutches are slipping more on the easy shift.

Most, and I repeat MOST, people don't want their automatic transmission to shift firm. As a matter of fact they don't care to feel the shift at all if they don't have to so Ford compromises and makes a cushy shift that you can feel but just barely. They do this by modulating the fluid pressure in the transmission that applies the force to the clutches. By increasing this fluid pressure the clutches grab quicker and more solidly so they don't slip as much. More slippage means more wear so less slippage means less wear.

Now, there is a point where increasing the fluid pressure makes the shift too hard and then it can be detrimental to the hard parts in the transmission and would then reduce the life of the transmission. But they don't make that fluid pressure that high in the tunes the tuners provide.

Thanks Buddy nice explanation:bigthumbsup
if i need google i pm you first:D

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hes right about firmer shifting.... if the tranny slips it causes heat, a transmissions worst enemy and #1 killer. A firmer shift will cause less heat, as long as it doesnt pass the threshold of fluid pressure which is one of my concerns. But BAMA assured me it wont be too much pressure, so it seems ok, plus I still havent found anyone here yet that has had a BAMA problem YET. But to you up there Joe, are you sure if you leave the battery disconnected like that, that they cant see you flashed back in forth, or even flashed to begin with??? If you gave me some evidence with that as the truth I will send you 100 dollars somehow hahaha

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
There will be an event recorded but that's it, they can't tell what happened.

That's why you tell them you had the battery disconnected for some reason.

If you're that worried about it then don't do it and just be satisfied with it as is.

·
0 Posts
Love my tune I have an auto and bama progranmed it to shift at red line is that normal?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its not that Im EXTREMELY worried about it, I just wanna know if there is physical evidence that they can see saying it was a tune. If I can fall back on it and say it was me disconnecting my battery for a long time for like audio work and they consider that valid, which is what it seems, then Ill do it for sure.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
can anyone concur to this claim?? I mean what I just stated, if I can get away with saying I was doing audio work??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts