Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1965 coupe bone stock right now. i will never sell it due to sentimental reasons. (basically my grandma used to pick me and my sister up from seattle and drive us to her house in Vancouver, WA) I cherished those times and want to give my children the same type of experience. What are your thoughts on keeping it stock versus doing the whole new rack and pinion, coilover struts, hot motor business. I would love to be able to pull up next to an import and watch them squirm ha ha ha. any opinion is welcome.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It's an interesting point you bring up. My car has some very serious sentimental value to me and I too will do anything I can to hang on to the car. I have had similar thoughts in the past. My advice is do what makes you the most happy. I chose to do go the restomod route but with some limitations. I am keeping the looks as stock and restored as possible, but with some updated parts. This may or may not have helped, but I think it's important to do what you feel makes the car most enjoyable for you. Hope this helps and good luck to you.

I have a 1965 coupe bone stock right now. i will never sell it due to sentimental reasons. (basically my grandma used to pick me and my sister up from seattle and drive us to her house in Vancouver, WA) I cherished those times and want to give my children the same type of experience. What are your thoughts on keeping it stock versus doing the whole new rack and pinion, coilover struts, hot motor business. I would love to be able to pull up next to an import and watch them squirm ha ha ha. any opinion is welcome.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
as mike said, first and foremost it has to please YOU! you do not have to go full restomod. a little better brakes, better bushing front and rear, a little warm over on the engine but keep it stock looking, ect,ect..... just my 2 cents. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
765 Posts
Ditto on the advice. Do what you want but remember you can still keep it looking stock inside and out but have all the modern upgrades and safety features. My old 66 was sentimental to me as well - owned it since 1972 and it was my folk's car from the factory. It was a plain-Jane c-code so I had a little fun with upgrades and don't regret it for a nanosecond. Even left the old 289 fender emblem on even though its a stroked 302. Since you are never going to sell the car (like me) then the only one you need to please is yourself! Have fun.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Most of us use the bolt on rule so later it can be un done easy.To me i wouldn't drive it unless it has front disc and a dual bowl master cylinder.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i guess i am wondering if i do the restomod stuff how much, if any, of the value would go down. then again its an average coupe not the 4barrel or hi po, so i don't know if value is too much of an issue. All the numbers match as far as the motor and tranny if that makes a difference. I read somewhere that these cars are really meant to handle around 300 HP and the front ends should really be switched to a rack and pinion. some things i know for sure, I will not be making it into a dragstrip car, and will not be putting in a big block. driving it fast and safe on the freeway is prob my #1 goal. hope this sheds a little more light into my thought process. thanks.

·
Registered
765 Posts
You say above that you will never sell the car so why worry about its value? I actually think that adding a few upgrades that are not obvious from the surface (disc brakes, dual master cylinder as Andrew suggests, frame stiffening, little tweaks to the suspension, even R&P steering) will add to the value of the car since it was nothing special to begin with and many others want those features. Unless you plan to show it in the concours class then modern upgrades are more than worthwhile IMO. They even have classes for upgraded cars. If, on the other hand you want to retain the original feel of the car when driven then just do the brake upgrade for safety and leave the rest alone. After having driven mine for 18 years I could not wait to make it drive and feel better:yup: Whatever you do you need to be happy with the result.

·
Registered
400 Posts
One real important thing is how you will use the car. If you're gonna dive it back and forth to work each day, I would go the resto route as most of the upgrades are safety related (disc brakes, dual master cylinder, suspension/steering etc.). You also don't have to ridiculously serious mods or hack the car to achieve this. Keep the old parts in a crate and you still have an "original" car. If you're just going to drive it on sunny weekends, stay stock. The factory stuff is really okay for minimal driving. You may want to have the master cylinder rebuilt and invest in new wheel cylinders and shoes for the brakes. Everything else could stay. Good luck and just remember to enjoy your car and get ready for EVERYONE to say nice car, it was my first car, or my brother had one, best friend... on and on and on. I love it.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
You can make the stock steering/suspension work much better than stock with choice upgrades that will be unnoticeable externally such as roller spring perches, Shelby/Arning 1" drop, new springs, new MOOG steering parts - tie rods, etc. There is no need to go R&P just because you may have 300+hp, the Supersnakes had stock suspension as do many cars that are running 500+hp in vintage racing. I would want it to look period correct under the hood still, and have improvements like dual bowl MC, disc brakes, etc.

Here's a good suspension/steering starter article to explain:
http://home.bresnan.net/~dazed/suspension101
Jon

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Very simple. Check the VIN and make sure it is not a very rare or early number car. If it is a common car, restomod it whatever way you like. Just don't accidentally ruin an uncommon car.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
831 Posts
The two changes that make the most difference are disc brakes and r&p steering. Those two are not obvious changes so the car looks stock but drives much better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very simple. Check the VIN and make sure it is not a very rare or early number car. If it is a common car, restomod it whatever way you like. Just don't accidentally ruin an uncommon car.:bigthumbsup
That is one of the reasons i posted this thread. i didnt want to make a lot of changes if the car was better off being left stock for vin purposes. my VIN# is 5RO7C189*** with a date code of 22B which i believe is Feb 22? I dont know if this makes mine early or not?

The other main reason of this post is that I want to make improvements over time but some of the mods are pretty expensive and I dont want to spend money twice on the same parts (ie: buying a disc brake conversion kit that doesn't work with an aftermarket coilover suspension kit). Also if i decided to go with a 400-500hp motor I dont want to spend $$ twice on suspension upgrades (I read that body twist is an issue with high HP motors?).

I have been getting most of my info from magazines as of late but since becoming a member here I can get a lot more real time info. You guys have been awesome in responing and I can't wait to get this Pony galloping again! :gringreen

·
Registered
539 Posts
I would do some subtle upgrades like front disc brakes and replace any front end parts as we all know the fron ends on these cars sucked. You can also do simple upgrades as a 4brl carb and intake and a set of Tri-Y headers and duel exhaust to make it breath better, but put a mellow set of mufflers on it so it's not obnoxious and a nise set of Styled Steeled wheels to give it that nice original look with some modern day tires.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Its a mass production car its never going to really be rare.Also rare and worth a lot are two different things i have a 86 grand prix 2+2 only 1200 made one year and not worth much.A lot of us have more money in our cars then they are worth so keep that in mind too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your posts. I will post some pics as the build rolls on. My 8 year old son and i will be working on it slowly. I'm sure i will be posting more ?'s in the future and will be looking forward to your input.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
494 Posts
If I were you, I would keep it stock since thats how you remember it. I'm not saying not to upgrade the brakes for safeties sake, but don't warm up the engine. Just a thought. If my 66 coupe had sentimental value, I wouldn't touch it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Christine started out life as a c code springtime yellow fastback with a pony interior. The only interior upgrade I have done is install a lokar shifter. Now the suspension is a whole different story. 5 leaf mid eyes, kyb gas a just, 620 coils cut, and I upgraded to roller spring perches. She handles like a dream and is more fun to drive. I even ditched the power steering when the tri ys were installed(didn't have the adaptor bracket) and that made her even better IMO. Future upgrades will include disc brakes and r/p. People ask me what she is worth and I say that is irrelevant as I will NEVER sell her. The old fastbacks are hard to find anymore

1 - 17 of 17 Posts