Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Galaxie the other day. I know, this is a Mustang site, but the tech stuff is similar. The car is a 1963 and has a generator. If I remove it and put on a one wire alternator, disconnect the voltage regulator, what would this to the electrical system/what else would I have to do? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought a Galaxie the other day. I know, this is a Mustang site, but the tech stuff is similar. The car is a 1963 and has a generator. If I remove it and put on a one wire alternator, disconnect the voltage regulator, what would this to the electrical system/what else would I have to do? Thanks in advance.
Two things come to mind:

First, you need to ensure that the main 12v positive wires to the ignition switch and the ammeter or warning light are properly connected back to the battery, preferably with a fuse or fusible link for protection. They are on the B terminal of the regulator on a Mustang.

Second, depending on the amperage of your one wire alternator, you will need to add a new 8-10 gauge wire directly from the battery to the alternator to handle the amperage with an even bigger in-line fuse than the one that protects the B wires I mentioned above. The alternator manufacturer should have a recommendation.

I just did this on my 64.5 and I ran an 8 gauge with a 100 amp inline fuse which I located on the fender well and then to the alternator.

You will like the one wire setup.

And thank you for your service!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, and thanks for 'thanking me.' Let me explain more. Here's what I have. I have an alternator from a 90/91 Grand Marquis that I intended to put in my 66 Mustang. So I bought an adapter for it from Ron Morris. The kit ties the wires on the back of the alt into one connector ( I think just one, been a while...) that connects to the + lug on the starter solenoid, therefore to + terminal of battery. (an inline fuse is in the wiring)
I just can't recall what, if anything, I had to do to the voltage regulator besides disconnect it from the wiring harness.

Of course connecting the late model alternator to the 1963 brackets will be it's own challenge. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks Here's what I have. I have an alternator from a 90/91 Grand Marquis that I intended to put in my 66 Mustang. So I bought an adapter for it from Ron Morris. The kit ties the wires on the back of the alt into one connector ( I think just one, been a while...) that connects to the + lug on the starter solenoid, therefore to + terminal of battery. (an inline fuse is in the wiring)
I just can't recall what, if anything, I had to do to the voltage regulator besides disconnect it from the wiring harness. :)

See the attached diagram of a 64.5 Mustang's generator wiring. The Voltage Regulator (generator regulator in the diagram) is near the middle. On the top are three connectors with the left one labeled "B". This is 12v positive that feeds the ignition/starter switch via the Yellow-Black wire. You may also have wires on the "B" terminal for the ammeter, horn relay, etc. ALL of these wires must be routed to the positive side of the battery, preferably with an in-line fuse for protection.

On a Mustang, the VR is located on the driver's side radiator support. I ran a 10 gauge wire from the battery (fuse holder near the battery) across the radiator support to the driver's side and connected all the "B" wires to it. Your Galaxie may be different.

Good Luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the instructions and diagram. When I put the newer alt into my Mustang, I had to do something to a couple of wires at the connector for the regulator, and I bet it was what you described. I'll try what you suggested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.