Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in touch with a company that designs and manufactures interfaces to tap into factory radios allowing use of an AUX input.
They called me today to ask if I would be interested in testing a pre-manufacturing proto-type.

Uh, YEAH!
1. I hopped in the Stang and got there in record time
2. IT WORKS!

I know there are plenty out there who want details, so I took some pix, and put everything I know on a quick web page.

Find it here:

http://members.tripod.com/2005stang-auxbutton/

They predict product to be available by late August, so until then, Na Na Na Na Na! I got the first one!

OK, sorry, I'll behave.

Seriously, if you have quesitons I didnt answer you can message me, or use the links to the company's forums on the web pages I made.

Hope this is helpful.

KC

·
Registered
256 Posts
Awesome!!! Question: Do you need to have the wire hanging from nowhere to connect to your ipod or what? How does the wire come out.. does it look professional and where is the connection?

·
Registered
305 Posts
You should be able to run connections wherever you want. You just have to cut a hole somewhere to mout a connection plate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cable from the iPod is from the headphone jack. You can use a normal stereo headphone to RCA cable. I chose to route it through the opening under the parking brake, up into the dash area behind the radio, where the P.I.E. interface box is now located sitting on top of the head unit.

You may want to do something different.

KC

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
SWEEEET! FOr get the Ipod, bring on SIrius Satellite! IS it coming out on their website soon?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't see why this wouldn't work with either Sirius or XM, do you? The Shaker doesn't know what type of AUX device is plugged in, I wouldn't think. It would sure be nice to have my XM directly conected instead of using the FM radio.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That's fantastic! How soon and how much?

·
Registered
90 Posts
"beautiful" chatsworth????

·
Registered
2 Posts
so if the unit has the ability to do 2 inputs, does that mean that you could have and Ipod and Xm hooked up at the same time, and just press the AUX button to switch between them? if so, i am in shock

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
clubt said:
That's fantastic! How soon and how much?
End of August. And from the other prices on the site, somewhere between 60-90 bucks.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Very nice right up!

now i would actually have a use for Ipos, i mean ipod

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Regarding the two inputs, PIE has not designed it that way, but in theory it might be do-able. I'd get onto the PIE.net forums and start making that request if that is a hot button for you. Perhaps after they start cranking this item out, they could supply you with the proper pin-outs to tap into the 2nd audio inputs.

About what audio sources you could use: pretty much anything with a headphone (or line level) output. So Sirius, XM, iPod, Walkman, Nomad, laptop, PocketPC, etc, with a mini stereo headphone jack should be able to work. Why, I suppose if you want to dig out that 8 track deck, nows the time!

The only info I got as far as pricing, the R&D guy I worked with thought the price would be more up around $125. Still a pretty good price, considering. He did say that final determination would be up to the sales and marketing dudes.

As far as Chatsworth being beautiful... Hey, I was geting a prototype AUX adapter installed. Free. First! Everything was looking pretty rosey! :eyepoppin

KC

·
Registered
329 Posts
friedmaster said:
so if the unit has the ability to do 2 inputs, does that mean that you could have and Ipod and Xm hooked up at the same time, and just press the AUX button to switch between them? if so, i am in shock
nope, from what i understood there is a standard jack which u can hook to your mp3 player /ipod another CD player, XM radio basically any other audio input, if u want to hook up both AM and Ipod u will either have to remove the cable and place it in the player that u will use which can get annoying, or make a switch "input splitters" a choice which want to play making a switch is the best choice.

for the DJs out there like me, u can put a mixer which will also play to inputs but that will require a power source, not a very good choice

·
Registered
2 Posts
so it having the modes uses the same input, just transfers the signal to the radio differently?

btw, a switch would be an awesome idea, even though i would only need to hook up one thing, it would be good for those who have Sat radio and an Ipod.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To get an authoritative answer to that question, I would visit the PIE.net forums and throw the quesiton at them.

KC

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
125 bucks?! Everything else there is like under 80! If that's the case I might consider the FM modulation. I think they are taking advantage that there aren't any others on the market that we can get.:sosad:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Who can blame them for their efforts at being the first? Capitalism with supply and demand controlling the prices at its finest....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Amen Preacher! I agree, there is a premium to be paid to be first. Many onther companhies have either declined the chanlenge to develop this product, or are way behind.

Besides that, having see the product and heard the diference, I would gladly pay the $125.

KC

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
creasman said:
Amen Preacher! I agree, there is a premium to be paid to be first. Many onther companhies have either declined the chanlenge to develop this product, or are way behind.

Besides that, having see the product and heard the diference, I would gladly pay the $125.

KC
You've tried FM modulation before they hooked your AUX up? There was a big diffence? Sound more crisp and deeper bass?

I guess if the quality was clearly noticible, I guess 125 wouldnt be so bad. Just for me, I have to buy a headunit for sirius for around $100, plus the $500 lifetime fee. That was the only reason i didnt want to pay much more for the adapter. Getting kinda expensive, ya know? But I see where u say it's worth it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts