Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just bought a 65 coupe, has the straight 6 and an automatic. It's in pretty good shape, but i need to get some rust off the floor pans and frame. Don't worry, it's not serious yet. There's no holes or weak spots, and no cracks or holes in the pans, but I do need to get it taken care of. But... I'm not sure if I should take something like POR 15 and put that on, or if I should get it sandblasted off? Does anyone have some thoughts, or has someone faced the same situation? Thanks in advance, I appreciate it!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sand it down and hit it with some rustoleum and if you really want to get into it throw down some lizard skin after. I'm not a pro with body work but it's what I did to take care of minor rust spots and worked fine, hope that helps

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I am a big fan of media blasting - it gets into places that a sander can't.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I used a product called Corroseal, on my floors. You need to clean up the rough part. Steel brush it, then vacuum that up. You need to leave some rust tho cus it needs the rust to do its "chemical conversion" Practice with it on a small area first (I didnt, so i didnt get it right)

Need to do it with just one coat. You want a blackish-purplish color when its drying. If you put on a 2nd coat after 1st is dry, (like i did) it traps the moisture in and you have not accomplished anything. The rust will continue. But you cant see it lol so who cares! :yup:

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
media blasting is a good option as it removes much more than alternative methods, but what Paul said is exactly right, and to a fault--it gets into places that a sander can't. Be prepared to find media EVERYWHERE in your car, especially if you have the floors blasted. When it's being applied with the air pressure it is, it finds its way into every knook and cranny.

Take a wire wheel or aggressive 40 grit sander to the rust on the floor pan first before knowing if you really have holes or not. Without sanding you can't tell for sure, because sanding will expose pinholes if they're there.

If it's just surface rust, hit it with a wirewheel on an angle grinder, treat it with some zinc phosphate, put some POR on it, and finally, spray or brush on a good 2k epoxy. You've now taken your floor pans from being rusty to submarine water submersible :bigthumbsup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts