Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I want to be able to keep up with the 05-09 GT automatics from 0-60, since that's 90% or more of my driving. I've got a V6 5-speed that currently has a BBK CAI and a 91 Octane Race Tune from BAMA as it's only mods. Does anyone think it's possible to get my 0-60 down to 5 seconds without going forced induction? I was thinking it could be possible with 4.10 gears, T-lok, and LCAs.

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Registered
457 Posts
nitrous will do it:D its not considerd forced induction

Sent from my SCH-S720C using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
b-bu-but that's illegal!
Wouldn't that also carry all the issues of FI as far as having to build up the tranny and rear end?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I want to be able to keep up with the 05-09 GT automatics from 0-60
I want to be able to keep up with the 05-09 GT automatics from 0-60, since that's 90% or more of my driving. I've got a V6 5-speed that currently has a BBK CAI and a 91 Octane Race Tune from BAMA as it's only mods. Does anyone think it's possible to get my 0-60 down to 5 seconds without going forced induction? I was thinking it could be possible with 4.10 gears, T-lok, and LCAs.
Then buy a GT.

The money you spend trying to squeeze every last bit of HP out of that 4.0 could get you a GT with probably similar miles and styling to your car now and with a wide open window of future modding possibilities.

And for reference, I had a 2010 v6 5-speed with CAI, 93 race tune, shortie headers, dual exhaust and a 373 tlok and GTs would walk away from me all day. That was about $2300 worth of mods, and I did all the work myself or it would have been even more. For a couple thousand more I could have skipped everything and went straight to a supercharger and then would have just barely been keeping up. But that wasn't my goal. My goal was to enjoy working on the car, and I did. But I also knew it was never going to be as fast as a GT unless I put some serious money into it, so instead of that I traded it for what I have now.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Then buy a GT.

The money you spend trying to squeeze every last bit of HP out of that 4.0 could get you a GT with probably similar miles and styling to your car now and with a wide open window of future modding possibilities.
Or buy a 3.7

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
457 Posts
b-bu-but that's illegal!
Wouldn't that also carry all the issues of FI as far as having to build up the tranny and rear end?
not really. a 50 shot will work wonders with no worries if tuned correctly.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Tire & Suspension (UPR Products)

If you build it to dead-hook when you dump the clutch, it'll run quicker than 0-60 in 5-sec.

·
Registered
618 Posts
SOMDStang is correct....it's best to add supercharger upfront before investing into a ton of mods if you want to "stay up" with GT's. My heavy V6 convertible auto is fast (low 6 sec 0-60 w/over $3,000 invested) with slicks, but if I want to stay even/outrun GT's I have to spend $5,000 for my "finish mod" supercharger. At that point I'm way over max NADA value for my Mustang, so if I wreck it and it's totalled, the insurance company won't pay off the entire loan.

If someone wants GT power then it's always best to purchase a GT. For me, I like "underdog" cars, in other words, 6 cylinders that can stay up and or outrun their bigger brother V8's. I'm building that right now with my V6 and I've currently spent the dollars to have the ground work laid. My final "cog" in the machine is the supercharger which should get me in the very low 5's for 0-60. However, even with the supercharger, my times will be equal or just a little quicker than the V8.

The moral of the story is, if you like working on cars and spending money, then a V6 build will be loads of fun. The satisfaction comes in when you outrun those (mostly stock) V8's and you tell them "it's a V8" the look of "pure shock and disbelief" is priceless! If you're a buyer that likes fast cars and "on the fence" between the V6 and V8, my advise is to spend the money and get the V8. Otherwise, you'll be kicking yourself everytime you get in that V6; regret is on of the worst of human emotions. For myself, I have zero regrets about my V6! I have the convertible that I wanted and have had an awesome time modding it....getting to the point where it is today. However, my "perspective" is different than most of you young bucks on these forums. I grew up driving/racing 80's and 90's Mustang V8's and my 07 modded V6 is every bit a quick as those (except for my 1991 Mustang 5.0 LX AND Cobra's not included in my assessment!).....I'm a happy camper!

Cheers!

Jedi

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
OP,

Not sure if your plans have changed or not, but here's what you need to reach your goal. With a set of 4.10 gears, tlok, LCA's, and a quality tire (drag radial would be best), I'm confident you'll be able to 0-60 within 5 seconds.

Once these mods are installed, then it's just going to take some seat practice. Learning how to launch your car is easier said than done. However, you'll pick it up after some serious practice!

Shane

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OP,

Not sure if your plans have changed or not, but here's what you need to reach your goal. With a set of 4.10 gears, tlok, LCA's, and a quality tire (drag radial would be best), I'm confident you'll be able to 0-60 within 5 seconds.

Once these mods are installed, then it's just going to take some seat practice. Learning how to launch your car is easier said than done. However, you'll pick it up after some serious practice!

Shane
Yeah, the automatics certainly have an advantage here, just mash the pedal and hold on lol. I just want to be able to not fall too far behind a GT in a theoretical highway on ramp type situation. Are the J&M ones compatible with the Eibach Pro-system? I'll probably be adding that in about 10,000 miles. When you say within 5 seconds, do you mean at or below 5 seconds, or between 5-5.9?
Thanks everyone for your helpful info!
PS: Would I be okay building up the 7.5" rear end or would it grenade if used with DRs?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Buying an 8.8 rear end might be a better investment than building up the 7.5.
Yeah, but the 8.8" rear end is really hard to find with 4.10s installed, and they're like $1400. Whereas I can build the 7.5 with the Detroit True-Trac and gears for around $730+labor. BUT if the 7.5 can't handle drag radials I definitely want to know so I don't break my rear end. I have no plans of supercharging, so that's not an issue.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Drag radials on a 7.5 is a hit or miss situation. I personally wouldn't spend all that money and labor on building up a 7.5. There are 8.8's out their but they just need searched out and found. I found mine (8.8 take-off less than 10 miles) about 8 months ago on Ebay for $695.00 including shipping. Good luck!

·
Registered
777 Posts
I tried to build a 7.5 on my 2006. All it took was a tune and drag radials to break it with the allegedly indestructible Richmond gears. I had an automatic too.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried to build a 7.5 on my 2006. All it took was a tune and drag radials to break it with the allegedly indestructible Richmond gears. I had an automatic too.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Yikes! thanks for sharing your experience! It sucks that the 7.5 is so wimpy...

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Yeah, the automatics certainly have an advantage here, just mash the pedal and hold on lol. I just want to be able to not fall too far behind a GT in a theoretical highway on ramp type situation. Are the J&M ones compatible with the Eibach Pro-system? I'll probably be adding that in about 10,000 miles. When you say within 5 seconds, do you mean at or below 5 seconds, or between 5-5.9?
Thanks everyone for your helpful info!
PS: Would I be okay building up the 7.5" rear end or would it grenade if used with DRs?

J&M's will work with just about any system. No worries there!

I should have been more clear on the timing. I think with those mods you could be 4.9 seconds or faster.

Also, you should setup the 7.5 with a track-lock differential or swap in an 8.8 from a GT. The 8.8 would be your best bet is you're concerned with 0-60 times.

Shane

·
Registered
618 Posts
AMShaneLesky:

I've never heard of a 05-09 Mustang V6 going 0-60 in 4.9 secs. or less with just a tune and 4.10's. The tune MAY add 20HP but that's about it.

The 1998 Mustang Cobra SVT at 305HP did 0-60 in 5.3 sec and quarter mile in 13.8 sec.

I don't think it's right that you're getting the OP all primed for high 4 sec times out of his V6......he's in for a big disappointment!

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
AMShaneLesky:

I've never heard of a 05-09 Mustang V6 going 0-60 in 4.9 secs. or less with just a tune and 4.10's. The tune MAY add 20HP but that's about it.

The 1998 Mustang Cobra SVT at 305HP did 0-60 in 5.3 sec and quarter mile in 13.8 sec.

I don't think it's right that you're getting the OP all primed for high 4 sec times out of his V6......he's in for a big disappointment!
Glad to know that stock for stock, I'm on par with an SVT Cobra.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 25 Posts