Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an appointment to get window tint put on my mustang. I got 35% on already from the factory. But I want it to be darker, so any insight on what it will be like just want some feeback?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I had 5% on back and sides untill the State boys advised me of their displeasure with my choice. Honestly, it looked cool but was too dark at night. Now I have 5% rear and quarters, 15% driver's and passenger's. Still looks good, but is friendlier to nightime driving.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have 20% in the rear and quarter which is totally fine at night.

i had 35 % on the drivers and passengers, but had to get it taken off... but im going to get 50% put back on, so its noticable and not that dark while driving, hopefully i wont get pulled over again:winks

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
my car had dark tint on the rear and 1/4`s when i got it. but my driv window had been replaced and didnt have any tint. when i went to oreillys, the black limo tint matched it good so thats what i used on my side windows. the box says 20%vlt on it, the branson mo. city police hung the tint-o-meter on my side window and it said 19, and i got a warning( a few times) so now i dont drive through that little town unless my windows are down.

the state and county sherifs so far have not hassled me. i like the dark look. my g/f`s are pretty dark too on the 06 ( on there when she bought it) and has yet to be hassled driving through branson every day, so maybe the pull me over red and the chrome wheels has something to do with it too. :)

i dont understand the percentage numbers. seems like there are a couple different numbers involved. when the sun is coming through the windshield is one thing, but at night they look real black ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
The percentage numbers are based on pass through light... if you put a light on it on one side and measure the other the percentage that passed through is the percentage of the tint.

When you buy tint there is a variance in the tint.... So if you buy 20% it could be 15-25% or something like that...

I run 20% on the backs and 35% on the fronts... Its nice day and night but I am a light sensitive person. 15% may be a bit dark for side windows at night but it depends on your sensitivity to light.

The windows at 15% will be almost impossible to see into in the daytime (will require face to the window with hands cupped around your eyes to see in).

Depending on the state you are in you need to be careful with tint... In my younger days when I did window tinting on the side, I was pulled over more times than I could count for window tint violations... Probably is the easiest ticket you can get, especially when you push the envelope with it.

In addition to darkness levels there is another measurement called reflectivity... (this is for mirror tint)... Some states dont allow reflective tint beyond a certain amount. Most officers do not have the meter to measure this but some will ticket you by eye ball... Here in VA I was told only 1 or 2 state troopers have this meter.

The darkness meter that officers have is USUALLY a one piece meter. Therefore it requires you roll the window down and they clip it around the upper half of your window.... What this means is the back windows that dont roll down cannot be tested with this type of meter. Again, as another warning SOME officers have a 2 piece meter to measure any window... again, in VA its only 1-3 state trooper as I have been told.

Point being, if you want to push it... do it on windows that dont roll down... lol... otherwise dont push it much or at all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts