Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so a couple months ago i had to rebuild my diff and replace the two front wheel bearings. After i did this the car had a rough vibration around 75mph, i pin-pointed it to the driveshaft and had it balanced the vibration went away.
Now its back AGAIN same speed too, I'm almost 100% positive its the center joint bearing on the driveshaft, my question is am i correct or could it be something else? how hard is it to replace? and would it be better to replace the bearing or just upgrade to an aluminum ds

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
how many miles do you have on the car?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
between 95000-10000 miles
whatever 155000 kms is

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

1.6KM per mile 96,875 miles.
Well I guess the question would be how hard has it been driven or raced if at all?
The 2pc DS has been good on some and not so good on others.
The Pinion angle is pretty important so with that said you rebuilt the Diff. so was the pinion angle set back to spec or are you lowered.
This could be some factors to consider. I know that the 1pc DS is my next MOD with only 31,000 miles the slop on a 2pc DS and the Clunk and just a little vibration drives me nuts.
If you drive it spirted then I would say the DS. IMO
Wait a little bit and see if someone else who has had a more severe case chimes in. It is always good to get another set of eyes on it.

T Wayne In Iraq

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T.wayne

Im not lowered, but i do track the car to open track days quite often. I didn't rebuild the diff myself i had a drive train shop rebuild it.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
OK

Ok was just thinking in the lines of launches and what type of load has been put on the drive train. Open track is fun.
Not lowered so pinion angle not a major factor but should be checked. Lateral load can strain the 2 pc drive shaft.
does it feel like it's behind the arm rest because that is the location of the Bearing were the 1st part of the drive shaft indexes as you know or the pinion flange. You stated the drive shaft was re-balanced. The only other thing would be bearing cap deflection or the gears. I know that a friction modify solution is called out when doing a new gear and new fluid. Just trying to rule out a little gear chatter

T Wayne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts