Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm back from the weekend with a better time!

I met a guy at the track who was very nice and VERY helpful. The first thing he did was take some air out of my M/T's. We put them down to 18 PSI. Getting them that low actually made it kinda hard to do a burn out. I still haven't got the whole "stationary burnout" using my brakes down yet. But I really didn't need it because the tires were still hooking just fine.

Anyways... Getting to the point here... Here are my times. I guess their computers weren't working to well because some of my slips are missing the 60' times. :so But here we go...

1st run
R/T- .576
60'- ? :so
330'- 6.574
1/8- 10.065
MPH- 70.22
1000'- 13.049
1/4- 15.564
MPH- 89.42

2nd Run
R/T- .670
60'- 2.294
330'- ?
1/8- 9.864
MPH- 71.07
1000'- 12.824
1/4- 15.293
MPH- 91.70

3rd Run
R/T- .803
60'- ? :so
330'- 6.458
1/8- 9.896
MPH- 71.45
1000'- 12.827
1/4- 15.268
MPH- 92.78

4th Run
R/T- .528
60'- 2.362
330'- 6.484
1/8- 9.896
MPH- 71.88
1000'- 12.813
1/4- 15.269
MPH- 91.12

5th Run (Saved the best for last! :happydance:)
R/T- .772
60'- 2.287
330'- 6.262
1/8- 9.594
MPH- 73.52
1000'- 12.454
1/4- 14.861
MPH- 92.98

I'm obviously not concerned with my reaction time at the moment, because every time I do I screw up.
The 14.8 had almost a 2.3 60'! So I still have a lot more that I can squeeze out of my car.

What do yal think? How am I doing and what can you tell from these times and MPH?

Also, is there a way someone can calculate my MPH into estimated HP? My car weighed 3440 at the track.

R

·
0 Posts
Your Horsepower computed from your vehicle weight of 3440 pounds and MPH of 92.98 is 227.27.

Your ET / MPH computed from your vehicle weight of 3440 pounds and HP of 227.27 is 14.41 seconds and MPH of 92.99 MPH.

Damnit Man work on that 60'.......:)

You need gears now......:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Congrats on the new PB!

As Reggie pointed out, plenty more to be had in the car. Work on those 60'!!!:gringreen

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your Horsepower computed from your vehicle weight of 3440 pounds and MPH of 92.98 is 227.27.

Your ET / MPH computed from your vehicle weight of 3440 pounds and HP of 227.27 is 14.41 seconds and MPH of 92.99 MPH.

You need gears now......:bigthumbsup
I've been working my butt off trying to earn some extra $dough$ for some new gears. Mowers have taken over my life! I work at a lawn and garden distributor, been working on mowers, and been mowing lawns... just to support my racing addiction! :happyhapp And I've been buying the wife and kiddo stuff too.

I'm working on the 60' Reggie. Move here to Norman so you can help me out! :shigrin (Florida is overrated anyways... ;)) I'm starting to get used to the sticky tires. I just didn't realize how high I have to rev to "stop the bog".

I got video of the 14.8 so I will try to post it when I get home... It's not very good quality though.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As Reggie pointed out, plenty more to be had in the car. Work on those 60'!!!:gringreen
Not trying to sound like a broken record here, but any suggestions on the 60'? Do my timeslips give you any hints?

I'm revving to about 3500ish and when I ran the 14.8 I had a slight bog in the engine but I could really feel it kick in on the top end.

BTW Reggie- I outran a 89 'vert FOX, with a Cobra intake, short headers and Nitto's! :gringreen :shigrin

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Have some one watch the car at the line. If you can get video it would be better.

Are you getting any wheel spin at all or is the car dead hooking? You said it bogged, was that right after the initial launch?

Are you feathering the clutch?

The trick is to roll into the throttle just fast enough to keep the nose from diving after the initial launch and not blow the tires off. I know easier to say then do!;)

R

·
0 Posts
Not trying to sound like a broken record here, but any suggestions on the 60'? Do my timeslips give you any hints?

I'm revving to about 3500ish and when I ran the 14.8 I had a slight bog in the engine but I could really feel it kick in on the top end.

BTW Reggie- I outran a 89 'vert FOX, with a Cobra intake, short headers and Nitto's! :gringreen :shigrin
well come to florida i got a hatch for you to try if you are feeling froggy.....:gringreen

i going to go along with sounds like you need more wheel speed on the launch.....

car sound like it dead hooking (bogging)

two ways to correct that raise the air pressure and/or launch rpm....

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
well come to florida i got a hatch for you to try if you are feeling froggy.....:gringreen

i going to go along with sounds like you need more wheel speed on the launch.....

car sound like it dead hooking (bogging)

two ways to correct that raise the air pressure and/or launch rpm....
Yep, if it's dead hooking that's the two options. You need a little wheel speed. Up the pressure a bit or up the RPM's.

As Reggie said gears would really help!! However, if you have to work with what you got those are kind of your options.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have some one watch the car at the line. If you can get video it would be better.

Yeah, we got video of the 14.8 pass, but it's not that great and it's not very close up either...

Are you getting any wheel spin at all or is the car dead hooking? You said it bogged, was that right after the initial launch?

Right now, my biggest problem is that the tires are a lot stickier than I'm used to so the engine bogging down is my biggest enemy

Are you feathering the clutch?
The trick is to roll into the throttle just fast enough to keep the nose from diving after the initial launch and not blow the tires off. I know easier to say then do!;)

No I'm just dumping the clutch... Stage, rev to about 3500-3800 RPM, slip my left foot to the side (dump the clutch), and floor it.
Maybe that is my problem... Because as soon as i drop the clutch my gas pedal is to the floor. I think I'm just so worried about my 60' that I'm afraid if I just ease into the gas it will slow my 60' down even more.

I'm still kinda new at the whole drag racing scene, but I'm especially new to the world of TRACTION!

I do take all the help yal give me into consideration and I try my best to put all the suggestions into practice.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Maybe that is my problem... Because as soon as i drop the clutch my gas pedal is to the floor. I think I'm just so worried about my 60' that I'm afraid if I just ease into the gas it will slow my 60' down even more.

I'm still kinda new at the whole drag racing scene, but I'm especially new to the world of TRACTION!

I do take all the help yal give me into consideration and I try my best to put all the suggestions into practice.
I'm going to hazard a guess here Feen.

You may be flooding the car with fuel right as it's getting the drag from the motor because of the tires. Your hooking then the front is dropping as the motor gets the load and tries to come back up all while your dumping a bunch of fuel into it.

Try this, bring the car to 4000. Feather the clutch "agressively" don't pop it and don't step it. when you feel the car leave wait for that instant when the car starts to feel like it's going to push over (nose dive) at that point roll into the throttle. Don't slam it on the wood, just roll into it putting the throttle to the floor at an ever increasing rate as you move closer too WOT.

See how that works for you.

I tell people that when your trying to get off the line drive like you were trying to cross a busy intersection.

Might not work but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to hazard a guess here Feen.

You may be flooding the car with fuel right as it's getting the drag from the motor because of the tires. Your hooking then the front is dropping as the motor gets the load and tries to come back up all while your dumping a bunch of fuel into it.

Try this, bring the car to 4000. Feather the clutch "agressively" don't pop it and don't step it. when you feel the car leave wait for that instant when the car starts to feel like it's going to push over (nose dive) at that point roll into the throttle. Don't slam it on the wood, just roll into it putting the throttle to the floor at an ever increasing rate as you move closer too WOT.

See how that works for you.

I tell people that when your trying to get off the line drive like you were trying to cross a busy intersection.

Might not work but it's worth a try.
I think you're onto something with "aggressively slipping the clutch" while rolling into the throttle. That's something I'll have to try.

LoL, I never thought I'd run into problems with having TOO MUCH traction... :headscratch: :hihi:

R

·
0 Posts
I think you're onto something with "aggressively slipping the clutch" while rolling into the throttle. That's something I'll have to try.

LoL, I never thought I'd run into problems with having TOO MUCH traction... :headscratch: :hihi:

i would listen to Eric we have all seen OL' Blue leave.....:gringreen

Trust us feen you have made vast improvements....:bigthumbsup

The advice that you are getting is from many years of experience....

What will lead to you success is you willingness to listen & learn....

In recent weeks you have change different thing on you car

which will always result in the learning curve changing.....

The important thing you are doing is getting seat time.....

For the most part we are just racing enthusiast having fun

Doing something you enjoy is also a big part of the pic .......

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
i would listen to Eric we have all seen OL' Blue leave.....:gringreen

Trust us feen you have made vast improvements....:bigthumbsup

The advice that you are getting is from many years of experience....

What will lead to you success is you willingness to listen & learn....

In recent weeks you have change different thing on you car

which will always result in the learning curve changing.....

The important thing you are doing is getting seat time.....

For the most part we are just racing enthusiast having fun

Doing something you enjoy is also a big part of the pic .......
Reggie hit the nail on the head! I just want to stress to important points he made!

If you want to learn that's the key to anything in life! I'm lucky and I have guys like Richard Lelsz, Kenjo Kelly, and countless others that have taught me A LOT!!! Why? Because I was willing to learn.

If your willing to learn then there are always people that will be willing to help you!!:bigthumbsup

Secondly it's about having fun! Don't let yourself get so wrapped up by the numbers that you stop having fun! Don't let a problem that you have to overcome become so insurmountable you can't enjoy it anymore. Because when you get past this one, they'll be another! Just like life my friend!:gringreen

Your doing a good job 302Feen just keep at it!!

And trust me Ol'blue didn't always leave like she does now!! It took a lot of testing and tuning and a lot of overcoming problems to get there!

Don't believe me? Here's OL'blue when she was just a young colt!LOL Note me blowing the tires off in grand fashion!! The wonderful shifting job! Oh I can't believe I'm even posting this!!:laugh::laugh:

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i206.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid206.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/Plstang/Drag%20Racing/20080201225616.flv">

All I'm trying to say is keep after it! You'll get there!!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, I ALWAYS have fun at the track! Racing has always been in my blood along with the love of Mustangs!
So I've got the best of both worlds.

And I'm always willing to listen and learn because I know if I do I will definitely benefit in some way...

Just the fact that I bought racing wheels and tires shows that I listen... ask Reggie.

When I first got on this site I was so focused on only making a whole bunch of HP without even thinking about traction... but my good friend Reggie has taught me that traction is more important than power.

You two and a bunch of others have helped me get to this point, so I'll keep listening!

Thanks fellas! :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
Can you tell me/us what tires exactly your running? Just wondering, I want to drag later in life.

Also, heres a question:

can you treat a street tire like a drag tire and relieve pressure for more bite?

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
The fact is there is no perfect tire pressure for any tire. there are a number of factors involved.

Weight of the car
Track prep
Track temp
Launch RPM's
Condition of the tire
Time of the day (Believe it or not that's relevant)
Are you running slicks with tubes in them
Is there a cross wind on the track

The fact is that if you're really pushing the car, you're not going to be setting the tires and forgetting about them.

There's a reason why you'll see a bunch of us calculating DA, walking out on the track in between cars, and putting a laser temp gauger to the track.

So please keep in mind all these threads regarding "what should I set my tires at". They're all relative and should be considered a starting point!

You have to read the car by watching it leave, are you rippling the sides or are you wadding them? You have to look at the patch it lays down when it leaves, is it nice and even? Does it have some wave in the side?

Trust me setting air pressure in a set of drag tires is an art. It's also really important! On some cars the driver has NO control of the thing after he lets go of the button till after the 60', it's all about those back tires!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
I have to get in this one...

About dropping air pressure...
On street radials, it's a NO NO. The idea of dropping pressure is to widen the footprint and thereby increasing traction. With a radial tire, this does NOT work. A radial has steel belts that need air pressure to cause the tire to work properly, like it was designed. A radial tire will work best at it's recommended psi. Dropping pressure will cause the middle of the tread to raise off the pavement, decreasing your footprint. We've all seen tire marks that look like two little pencil thin marks and no middle? That's from underinflated radials.

Bias ply tires don't have the steel belts, so decreasing air pressure will widen the tire. This is why racing tires are bias ply.

Drag radials are a hybrid of the two. Radial material with bias construction, thereby giving some elements of both radials (stability) and bias (traction).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.