Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a new head unit for christmas and on crutchfield.com I have picked out the

Sony CDX-GT200

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-DSGZbkZCRpE/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=158GT200

With the order I get the following for free:

When I order it says I need a OEM Amplifier Integration v.4

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-DSGZbkZCRpE/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=142C4FDK5&s=0&cc=01

I am not familiar with what that is. Is it a wiring kit that I have heard people say you need? If I need it I will buy it, but if not I do not want to buy it.

Thanks

EDIT: I found this on the decks page:

<table border="0" bordercolor="blue" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="133" width="505"><tbody><tr><td colspan="5" valign="middle">Installation Details for your <!-- mp_trans_disable_start -->1999 Mustang<!-- mp_trans_disable_end -->
</td></tr> <tr><td> </td><td valign="top">» </td><td colspan="3" valign="top">Your vehicle is factory-equipped with a special sound system. You can either use a Crutchfield harness (free with most receivers) which will bypass your factory amplifier, or you can purchase an adapter that will allow you to continue to use your factory amplifier.
OEM Amplifier Integration v.4 $39.99

Should I go with the free Crutchfiel harness?
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have gotten myself even more confused as cardomain.com says to use:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOFD02B
Scosche FD02 for 1986-UP Ford (Non Premium/JBL/Mach Sound)

I have 1999 non premium sound, so I think this is what I need? Also, I read on these forums that I do not need that crutchfield $40 harness because it lets me use my factory amp, which is not good compared to a new head unit's power supply.

Also, is this really needed?:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OsbNjiihCwU/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=120305613&s=0&cc=01

Crutchfield is the only place I can find that has it, and I have not read about it anywhere else.

If thats not needed and the $40 harness to use the factory amp is not needed then I can buy the headunit for $105 shipped online and then just go to pepboys to get a ~$10 wiring harness?.?.

:eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, I think you do need it. The way Ford wires up their radio's and amps (you have Mach system i take it) you need it to get your head unit to work properly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The thing is that I do not have Mach sound system.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Need to know exactly what you have in your car now.... do you have the tweeters over by the door mirrors? Open your trunk and look under the rear deck.... is there a black plastic enclosure with two silver amps sticking out the sides? lemme know what you find out...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the factory radio and cassette player with the factory cd player in the slave slot.

I talked with crutchfield and I do not need the special thing to use the factory amp b/c I do not have mach 460.

The wiring harness I can use is included for free with my head unit from crutchfield:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-M5TTjBLsSIV/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=120705008&i=120705008

I can send it back for free if it doesn't work, but they told me it would.

:eyepoppin

edit: I don't have those speakers on the door by the mirror, or the thing in the back. My dad has the 460 in his gt and he has those.

·
Registered
437 Posts
OK, good. Glad to see you do your homework. The harness in your last post should get you going. Just match up the wire colors with the Sony harness as they will be the same. You will lose the use of the factory CD player, but hey, thats what the Sony is for. Avoid using the "twist and tape" method. It's not very reliable. Get some good crimp connectors or go all out and solder and shrinkwrap. Either way, you should be jammin in no time..... good luck.:happyhapp

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Storkdork said:
OK, good. Glad to see you do your homework. The harness in your last post should get you going. Just match up the wire colors with the Sony harness as they will be the same. You will lose the use of the factory CD player, but hey, thats what the Sony is for. Avoid using the "twist and tape" method. It's not very reliable. Get some good crimp connectors or go all out and solder and shrinkwrap. Either way, you should be jammin in no time..... good luck.:happyhapp
Thanks for your help. Is there anything particular most people do with the empty din slot once you take out the factory cd player (maybe they might sell just empty "containers" to go there and you can use it to hold stuff).

Also, I think I will solder the wires together. Can I just solder and put electrical tape around the solder for a good connection (I don't really know what you mean by shrinkwrap it)?

Thanks again

:)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hey, no problem..... yeah , you can get away with the tape, I'll let it go this time.:laughlitt Just kidding. Tape is fine. Just do me a favor and spend the money on 3M brand tape. The other generic stuff gets brittle in the winter and tends to slide off in the summer heat. Shrink wrap is a small plastic/rubber like tube that slides over the wire before you make the connection then slid over the connection, then, carefully using a heat gun (basically a high powered hair dryer) it will shrink itself over the wire and become part of it. When done correctly, it's the cleanest, most reliable way to go. But some good 3M electrical tape will do fine.Let me know how it goes or feel free to cuss me out if any of my info doesn't help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha alright, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got my stuff in the mail today. What I need to do is connect a harness to the factory amp (not mach 460) then run those wires to a harness that goes into my headunit. But where is the factory amp?

EDIT: I just read this in another thread:

My 2000 gt has a factory amp which was mounted below the radio in the center of the dash.

I am going to go look for it....

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.