Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i am having the engine block and heads taken to a machine shop to be bored, polished, and painted. my question is how much more should i have it bored with maintaining the strength of the block itself.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
The standard overbore is .030". You'll have a tough time finding .010"- or .020"-over pistons. And they're usually more expensive than .030"-over pistons. Don't bore more than .030" over without having the block sonic-checked.

But if the engine's cylinders don't need to be bored, they shouldn't be. Short of needing to "clean-up" the cylinders or unshrouding valves, overboring a block will reap no measurable advantage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not sure that the block "needs" to be bored, i plan on boreing, polishing and repainting, wouldnt boring it over increase power or torque, or is there no real benefit of this. i plan on replacing everything pistons, valves, roller rockers, pushrods, springs the whole 9 yards. should i justr have it cleaned and painted with out boreing and just replace all the internals

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
A .030" overbore nets a measily FOUR cubic inches. Four cubic inches isn't squat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
so should i just have it polished and total rebuild or is there a safe overbore more than .03 that would be significant. what would make it nessesary to overbore. i also intend on going with nos wet nitrous system how would overbore come into play there

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Don't know what you mean by "polished". Engine blocked don't get polished. Cranks and heads do.

Boring an engine is for cleaning up the bores OR unshrouding the valves only. It is not (or should not be) done just to gain displacement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.