Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nice site, friendly people, been getting good info. First off, I've done some searching and most everyone is saying the 03 GT came with 3.27 rear gears with the 5sp. I put my specs in the calculator, [email protected]=3.08 ratio. Does this sound correct? I haven't found any definite answers regarding what options were available. Second, I'm looking at a new shifter and drove a friend of mine's 98 with a B&M ripper which had a great feel, I've read good things about pro 5.0 and steeda tri-ax, I'm open to suggestions and feedback. Third, looking at x pipe and cat back from bassani or slp, my friend from above has just bassani mufflers and it sounded way better than my ride, will the slp give the same or better results? Also, with the x pipe will it cause any errors with the computer? I'ld prefer not to have c.e.l. on after my mods. I'm looking at stut tower brace and upgrading my subframe connectors with weld in style, how much more firm will this be over the stock setup? Has anyone noticed any performance differences between traction control and no traction control? Last thing, after the car sits overnight, I've measured the ride hight in the rear and the left sits 1 3/4" lower than the right side. I drove it to a local dealership and by the time I drive it over the hight difference is closer to 1/2" off. Granted, I'm not the smallest guy but on the other hand I'm not really overweight. Anyone else have any similar issues? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
364 Posts
ROMS: The 03 does come with 3.27s -- probably your speedo or tach are little off. It's not uncommon. The RPMS, using 1:1 gear (4th), 26" tire, 3.27 FDR and 75 mph = 3169 rpms. Multiply that times .65 (the reduction for 5th gear) and you come out to 2060 rpm. (3.08s would come out to 1940rpms) Go here to run your own numbers: http://bbs.hardcore50.com/calc/index.php?mode=rpmforspeed

Shifters: Pretty much everyone says that the Steeda Tri-ax, Pro5.0, and MGW shifters are the ones to get. I have the MGW and think it's awesome.

X-Pipe and Springs: I can't help you on these questions. Although the CEL can be fixed if you splurge for a chip tuner like the Diablo.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Hey, my 02 GT 5 speed runs 80 at 2150rpm and i have the stock gear ratio 3.27. Also, in 2002+ or at least my 2002 started having the TR3650 Transmission verus the T45. With the TR-3650 ford said 5th gear has a new gear ratio to help save on fuel economy.

As for the Shifter, i have the Steeda Triax Shifter, and i love it, i never missed a shift, it gives me assurence at the track that my 2nd to 3rd gear shift will actually go in quick, also the gears are all short and tight together so its easy to run. ( if you do get a performance shifter, be prepared to have to relearn and get used to your new shifter, i remember when i put mine in i felt actually like i was shifting slower.)

For the exhaust, go with flowmaster 40series with either BBK or Bassani X-Pipe... if you want more metalic rumble go with the off road xpipe if you want deeper go with the catted xpipe. if you go with the off road, your computer will show check engine light because the front 2 O2 sensors are reading the same as the back 2, so you will either need ot buy "MIL Eliminators usually 59.99" or have a chip programmed for no cats ( i am selling a chip FYI) or get a programmer for ECU such as diablo predator to turn off the check engine light.

as for the strut tower brace.. thats something i gotta loook into... and the ride height i am not sure

hit me up if you need help.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree, you most likely have 3.27's in there. Gear choices are always a great debate...fun to watch people argue over them too!! As for a shifter..well I'm old school and hard headed....I NEVER saw a shifter win a race yet...I also never saw anyones HP, Torque or ET's increase by changing a shifter... Take it for what it's worth. The only thing I will say is if you have the dough go Bassani S/S the whole way. Headers back....worth every penny....Unless you remove the Cats there should'nt be any ill effects, but if you get a cat-less X pipe - The poor mans way of getting around that MIL (C.E.L), would be Mil eliminators..but personally you would benefiet more from a hand held tuner....where you can turn the rear O2's off. Weld in connectors are of course the best, but the draw back is they are permanent (In Most Cases), bolt in's usually offer the strength needed for most street runners...but either way they make the chassis much more rigid. Strut tower braces I always thought were a waste of time unless your running cornering races...but for going straight and street playing...my opinion is once again..why?
As for your sag....there could be a couple of reasons for that...One if you have a seal in the Strut that when it cools makes the strut shaft "stick" it can effect your ride height, also, weak springs can become temp sensitive and act queer....it sounds like your experiencing some type of spring failure. Complete spring kits are relatively cheap and easy to install. 90% of ride height issues are spring related, the other 10% are "sticking" or Bent components...such as bent controll arms, bent sway bars ect. Keep in mind bent components don't usually bend and unbend overnight. So most likely you have a spring issue or a sticky strut.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Granted, the shifter will not make you a better driver but, after driving another stang with the shifter I can definitely see that one can shift much quicker. As for the gears I believe I'm sold on the 3.73 but have a few questions. First, gas milage is mostly an afterthought but how does it affect highway driving? Second, do the 3.73's take any off your top end speed? I've read that the top speed on the mustangs were actually achieved in 4th gear, is it possible that better gearing will be a win win situation. Finally, I removed the air silencer (nice little boost) but have noticed on different 4.6 at low rpm when you hit the gas there is a momentary bog then quick rev from there. Any one else noticed this. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The "bog" you are describing is actually the time it takes the ECM to recognize the throttle opening, deciding what to do..then doing it, MOST EFI vehicles will have some type of droop time..others (GM & Honda) have a lesser time but Ford and Chrysler still have a slightly slower time. Not to worry, you can make some of that go away with a good tune for the ECM...but once again, usually when playing on the street/strip it's rare your bringing the engine up from that low of an RPM. Plus when the car is in gear the problem is much less noticeable as usually the PCM is using more inputs to compensate for engine loads. 3.73's are MY PERSONAL choice for a dual purpose (Street / Strip) for a GT....If you decide to try them, you'll find you can still cruise the Interstates at 70Mph around 2500RPM..But yet have the snort to jump at redlights when needed. I personally run them in my '03 GT on the streets...but when I go to the track or a big $$ run, It's 4.30's all the way. I just bought an entire rear at a local yard for $250 and dropped aftermarket axles,carrier, and gears in it....then I just swap the whole rear in and out....Sounds like a bunch of Bull to go through, but I have it down to about an hour, in and out. Don't know about the top speed issues..mine still pulls in fifth making Mph....with either gearset in it, so I'd have trouble believing top speed is acomplished in fourth....it kinda breaks the laws of physics.....

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Yes, with a lower gear ratio you do lose some top speed, its law of physics. same with if you put a high gear ratio.. say 273 you will lose acceleration but have a theoretical top speed of like 230MPH... i must admit i personally am torn between 373s and 390s because gear are my next purchase. most likely it will be 373s for me. Right not at my gear ratio of 327, i run 80mph at 2150rpm or so so i have plenty of rpm range to go up. I have a video of a Cobra doing a top end run... and it achieves its top speed in 5th gear, not 6th. in 5th gear i hit 120mph at like 2600 or 2700 so 4th gear top speed is probably possible, also you have to ask if these cars had a governer for top speed, because its very easy to hit you know 130(say thats the limit) in 4th gear. i took my limiter off with my predator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.