Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys hows it goin? My first post here so first some background. My first car was a 71 nova with the typical 350 bolt ons etc which is where I did most of my automotive learning. I then got into imports and currently own a 2006 STI (382 wtq :nogrinner) and a 2007 R6. I have a pretty good knowledge of autos however never dealt with a fox body. Ive been wanting one for around 5 years now and Im finally picking one up real soon. So heres what Im thinking:

I want to do all the typical bolt ons first just to learn the car. Intake headers exhaust etc. Then id like to pull the motor and rebuild it myself with forged internals in preperation for a large shot of nitrous or a supercharger. I will be doing all the work myself and I have never rebuilt an engine by myself before. However I really want the gratification of building the motor myself.

Im asking for some guidance to send me down the right path. Like which bolt ons first and in what order will be best? What should I be looking for in a forged rebuild kit? Is there any how tos or maybe books that will guide me through the building of the motor? What about suspension and traction since I dont have that problem in my sti (AWD rules :))

My ultimate goal is to lift the front wheels off the ground (not like 4 feet, just off) consistanly and as reliable as possible (I know I know) Well any help is appreciated, thanks.

Btw the car is going to be a 89 LX with 110,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
To start the typical bolt ons, you could go with this list.

Equal length header with 1 5/8 tubes
Off road X or H pipe
Quality cat back system in 2 1/2 inch diameter
Underdrive pulleys
65mm throttle body
75mm mass air sensor
Cold Air Intake
K&N filter (should come with the CAI)
3:73 or 4:10 gears
Upper and lower control arms (for traction)
Adjustable struts and shocks (for traction and handling)
Caster/Camber plates (for handling)
Steeda front drag sway bar (for drag racing and street)
Fiberglass hood (lighter weight on the front)
Lightweight wheels

That's to get you started, doesn't matter what order you get them in.

When buying an engine kit, you'll want forged pistons for sure. But for the rods and crank, you could get 5140 cast steel, that's good for up to 500-550 hp. If you intend on going past that or plan on living on the high side of 6500+ rpm, you'll want to go with 4340 forged. The wild card in this is if you go with a stock block, it'll crack and split should you go past 500-550 hp so putting 4340 in a stock block is a waste of time, energy and effort. If that's your plan, get an aftermarket block first, and build up with 4340.

When you get close to doing the engine, that can be covered then.

·
Super Moderator
40,151 Posts
welcome to the site,enjoy!!!!...i will just say ditto to Eagles list!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Had a 87 gt started with suspension and small bolt ons.I converted to mass air and ran from there.Good luck with your 5.0 and all your future mods.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.