Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, kinda new to the mustang world. I've had my 02 gt for about 2 months now and already my old lady has managed to take whats good away from me. Story is she did a 180 and hit a curb on the back left tire. Now theres a squeek when i break or turn left? Im gonna tear into her tomorrow prob check for warped rotors and a bent axle shaft. Anything else you guys could think to check? Again im new to mustangs all i got to go on is this filthy haynes manual. :hihi:

·
Registered
53 Posts
sry bout ur car. this is the rite place to find help. u mite also wanna try checking ur U-joints. my rear tire was hit last year and squeeked and chirped when i turned to the left. i changed my U-joints and the noise stopped.

·
Registered
430 Posts
check your wheel bearings and make sure that your calipers arent locked or rubbing up against your rotors in a way they arent supposed to. Bringing it to a local shop would be able to find out for you. Just pay them for an hours pay to check the entire rear end. Thats what I did, and found out that the calipers were messed up and locked on the front. Fixed that easily.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Thanks for all the possible culprits. Got the car on a lift and in gear. You can watch the wheel wobble when the cars in gear. And you can hear the noise faintly while its rotating. Im not a genious but i think its a bent axle shaft and a shot axle bearing. The weird part is the wheel will pull out about 3/4 an inch strait out not like a bad wheel bearing where you would have sort of an uneven play. Its pulls out evenly. What the heck is that? And are there any other possibilities as far as something other than a bent axle shaft?

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
sry bout ur car. this is the rite place to find help. u mite also wanna try checking ur U-joints. my rear tire was hit last year and squeeked and chirped when i turned to the left. i changed my U-joints and the noise stopped.
Wait...What?
I'm failing to understand how changing U-joints can cure a problem with a wheel that squeaks when turning left.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
I would think if you can see the wheel wobbling, then the axle is toast. Unless only the wheel itself is bent.
The good news is that the axles are pretty easy to remove and replace. Refer to your filthy haynes manual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.