Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has a 1966 Mustang Coupe w/ a 289.

Hard to start:
I've found the most reliable way to get it to start is to floor it like it's flooded. I've tried pumping the gas once or twice and sometimes that helps, but only sometimes. I'm thinking I need to clean the carb, as it's probably sat for a month or two at some point. Is that probably it? I like to do maintenance myself, but carbs scare me a little bit. Is there an easy way to clean just the bowls?, should I buy a rebuild kit first? I'll post a pic of it but I'm pretty sure it's an Autolite 4100, it's got a 1.12 stamped on it.

Fuel gauge doesn't work:
The fuel gauge is always on E. I tried hooking up an ohm reader to the wires going to the gauge and got wild readings (they jumped all over the place). I pulled the wire off the sender and grounded it to the frame and the gauge shot up to full. So I'm guessing the sender is bad? Just want to confirm.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sounds like your carb needs some TLC. Is it the original, or a newer variety? I would recommend bringing it to a carb guy and have him give it the attention it needs. For the amount of money you pay, it's well worth the performance you get back

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find that the float arm in the tank is stuck. Especially if it's sat for a while. You might try just keeping the tank full and hope the fuel will lubricate it enough to get it unstuck. It's not uncommon for them to go bad by now though.

It's not a difficult repair to do, just not pleasant. It's one thing to get oil splashed in your face; fuel is quite another thing :) If you do replace it, make sure to get a new rubber seal, and make sure it's in there perfect

·
Registered
520 Posts
10 minutes of carb tuning fixed that same problem for me. Do the simple stuff first before you tear into it and rebuild.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I would say just go to the auto store and get a can of carb cleaner. You spray it down the barrels. See if that helps. If not, the carb probably needs tuned or rebuilt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I just filled it up, so I think I'm going to add some Seafoam to the gas, try spraying the carb with cleaner, and then when the tank is close to empty swap the sender and see if she's running any better. If not I'll either rebuild it or have it rebuilt.

When you spray cleaner in the carb, what's the best way? Running and high RPM or ???

Here's a pic of the carb:
http://allfordmustangs.com/photopost/uploads/94634/carb3.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I posted a reply with a pic but it said the moderator has to approve it. I'm guessing because of the link/pic. Anyhow, hopefully it will be viewable soon.

Thanks all for your advice. I just cleaned up her pony really good so I'll need to get a nice pic and post it soon.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
When my friend helped me use carb cleaner, he sprayed it down the car and he had me revving it pretty well up there. I don't have a tach yet, so I can really say what RPM it was at.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much of the can do you use? I sprayed some in there but I think I a carb rebuild is in my future. BTW was I correct in my identification of the carb?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts