Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a 1969 Mach 1. I found a nice one for about 15k. is that a good deal? Anyway... It has a 351w mated to automatic 3 speed. Ive done a good bit of research, but I cant get a good reliable answer on exactly how much power a 1969 Mach 1 puts to the rear wheels. Does anyone have a good answer? Or maybe a dyno test result?

Finally, How would I wanna try to get AT LEAST 250 horsepower at the wheels, maybe 300. What kind of work would need to be done?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Is it a 2v or a 4v engine? (look at the top left corner of the head),,, from what I have read, the stock 2v was about 250 hp and the 4v was 270-300 hp at the flywheel,,hp to the rear wheels depends allot (but not limited to) on your transmission and rear gear ratio,,,I also read that an old school automatic transmission can eat up to 30% of your hp,,,IMHO if the car is in good shape and runs and drives, $15k is not a bad price,,you have to evaluate things like rust, interior, paint, engine,,to make the call on a fair price for the car,,,

·
Registered
45 Posts
Seph10 is right there are a lot of things to look for, tough to really say if it's a fair price until you take a close look at rust, paint, metal work that needs to be done, etc.

Before you buy it's probably best to decide if you want an original (or as close to original), or if you're looking for an updated daily driver etc. That can have an effect on the price range.

If you are looking to build a daily driver or something just fun to drive there are plenty of crate motors that you could drop in that would let you hit your HP wants. The guy I bought my 5-spd transmission from (out of an 87 5.0 mustang) told me he sold the complete motor for $300 Not sure what your total budget is etc. or what you're looking at but something to think about.

Best of luck! Hot looking car :) Post pictures if you get it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it a 2v or a 4v engine? (look at the top left corner of the head),,, from what I have read, the stock 2v was about 250 hp and the 4v was 270-300 hp at the flywheel,,hp to the rear wheels depends allot (but not limited to) on your transmission and rear gear ratio,,,I also read that an old school automatic transmission can eat up to 30% of your hp,,,IMHO if the car is in good shape and runs and drives, $15k is not a bad price,,you have to evaluate things like rust, interior, paint, engine,,to make the call on a fair price for the car,,,

I went to look at the car yesterday. Its a 4v, runs great, 76k original miles, new interior, and no rust at all. The paint was new; black with a gold stripe. Very good looking. It also had Power Steering and power drum breaks. The car looked perfect stay for a few dents and scratches on the rear right quarter. The Man has a very small Garage and had damaged the car pulling it out some time in the past. He said it had a new, mild cam installed. I don't know how much power that adds. If i purchase the car, I want to swap out the auto trans for a TKO 500 before the end of my senior year of highschool.

So do you think that the car is good for the price? And how do you feel about my plan to swap the trans? If the cam and trans swap dosnt meet my goal of 250 rwhp, what can?

·
Registered
500 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts