Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! How is everyone this Friday? I have a quick question for all the enthusiasts here. I have inherited my Dad's 1967 Coupe Sprint (sorry if I word that wrong, I'm new). The Shady Lady needs alot of work, will probably have to be completely stripped apart and rebuilt. She was wrecked once, and whoever fixed her up did not do a very good job. She still runs, though, turn the key and listen to her roar! I'm torn, though. My husband wants to know how we will go about the restoration. Back to original: Springtime Yellow, black vinyl top, no AC, etc? Or play around with a custom paint job and add AC (she had the luxury interior, I'm sure she'd have come with AC but Dad didn't believe in AC, he was a little eccentric), maybe even remove the vinyl top? Any opinions? Thanks and have a fun & safe 4th!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Hi local TN'n, I think it's called a Sprint Coupe, it's a 6cyl. right?

To mod or not to mod is really going to be your call but be forwarned that once you start there's no stopping.
How will the car be used, miles driven /yr.? daily, weekends, carshows only? How often will you be in it and how comfortable/safe do you want to be?

The more it is planned to be driven the more I would lean towards modding it as it's probably 4 wheel drum no power brakes? There are many areas that can be upgraded for safety that I am doing just because I'll be driving mine ('67 Coupe) alot - brakes, seatbelts, steering column, etc.
List all the equipment and options for the car so we know what you're working with.
Adding A/C is on my list as the wife won't get in it in the summer so to me that's a must have just to be able to drive around and not be uncomfortable/soaked.
The exterior mods (color, vinyl roof, etc) are your call and purely aesthetic.
Jon

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
It really depends on what you want the car to be like Jonk said.

You can stay all original, original with adding some original options your car didn't come with (add A/C), mostly original with some upgrades (disk brakes, electronic ignition), or go right to modding it completely.

Note: changing the color to another available factory color would still be considered "stock" although not original to the car. Many people do this if they don't like the factory exterior and/or interior colors.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmmmmmm.....

Thanks, guys. I'm still playing with ideas. We already to plan to add disc brakes and ac, probably power steering (Dad wouldn't have power anything on any vehicle, he was a bit eccentric, as I have said.), and stuff like that. We will definately visit shows, and drive on weekends or trips without kids (Ahhhhhhhh, that sounds nice, lol!). I'd NEVER sell the car, so I don't suppose monetary value is an issue at all. I just can't decide if we should refurb the vinyl top and have her repainted her original color or remove the vinyl and do something different. Hubby wants to have a custom paint job, and he has a couple ideas that sound pretty cool. But, something about it looking like it just rolled off the lot sounds appealing to me. I'd tell you what I've got to work with, but I have to be honest. I don't really know. V6, certainly. Sprint. Luxury Interior (whatever that means) 1967 Coupe. I don't think there were ever any modifications except for Dad removing the pony from the grill and the wheel covers because he thought they inhibited air flow (!). She was mildly wrecked and somebody did a sloppy bondo job on the corner and repainted her an unpleasent yellow with even more unpleasent pin striping. Otherwise, she's still pretty original. She's automatic (Something that surprises me, Dad was a 5speed guy. Wish I'd had the chance to ask him why he got an automatic Mustang. A car like that should be 5 speed, I think, all the better to GET IT with!), and I don't know if we'll leave that alone or try to convert? This is all pretty exciting to me, I'm so glad you guys are giving some input! I can't wait to go to a show!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I can see why your husband wants to repaint, Sprintime yellow doesn't exactly scream masculinity...do you know the original color? I think the vinly top can be removed but it'll take a little body work to seal off where the trim was for the top. You may like the look of it depending on color you choose. Take a look on Fleabay or online at different cars with and w/o vinyl top and with different colors.
The engine should be a straight 6 or I6 (inline 6) just so you get the right parts, V6 weren't produced until later. The 6 can be made to run better horsepower and mpg wise with cam, intake, headers, carb. If you're even considering a V8 swap later on just tune up the 6 and don't waste $ on upgrades that will be tossed later. Any upgrade to the front/rear should be towards V8 5 lug spindle/tires. You may not want to convert to PS, there are ways to make the manual easier to turn with roller bearing idler arms, etc. I have PS and have rebuilt it all and have no leaks but many people are constantly trying to keep them from leaking. Almost all the steering parts are different for a manual vs. PS.

Here's a good article on suspension/steering for these old cars:
DazeCars, Suspension 101
DazeCars, Ford Galaxie Mustang tech and restoration

Maybe I'll see ya'll at a local car show when my '67 Coupe is back on the ground if you're around the Nashville area.
Jon

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol!

You men and your masculinity *grin*. No, I don't think the name of the color bothers him, he just has that "make it rock" way of thinking. The yellow isn't so bad, really, it just wouldn't have been my first choice. To get road worthy, we need a new alternator, change of spark plugs, and decent tires. She'll roll with that much, but there will be plenty to do to make her pretty again (don't tell hubby I said "pretty", huh?). We have shows in Sevierville each year, we've never been, but if she was road worthy, we would go. Mayhap Nashville should be added to the destination list, I would love to have an excuse to open her up a bit! I'll tell Hubby to check out the things you mentioned above. I'm not a stupid gal, but I leave the tech/mechanical stuff to him whilst I chase 4 kids and bake biscuits and sort laundry. Mine is not a glamorous life, lol! When the kids get a little older and more out from under my feet, I'll have more attention to pay. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, so it shouldn't be too hard. Hubby used to rebuild 80's models when he was younger. I think we'll make a good team!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
My wifes family is from Sevierville, we would go to her grandmother's house off of 66 across from the guitar shop and the microtel every summer for a weeks vacation. Haven't been in a few years since she passed and they sold the land.

You can take the alt. off and the battery, take them to a local parts store (most of them test them for free) have the batt. charged and tested along with the alt. as they work as a team. This way you make sure you're not replacing something that's not broken or replacing one when it's the other. The voltage regulator (mounted next to the radiator drivers side) could be bad and allowing too much/not enough voltage through also. If you replace the alt. you should replace the VR with it as they work as a pair.

Autolite spark plugs will work well.

Good luck and don't step on any kids...it's a good thing you're mechanical also as many repairs (bleeding brakes,etc.) require 2 people normally.
Jon

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi there I'm also a Tennessean with a 67 coupe
My advise is build a car you WANT
I definitely think disc brake upgrade is a must especially on these East Tennessee roads
I am in Maryville and have owned classic mustangs for almost 30 years
send me an email and I will help you in anyway I can

[email protected]

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
There was 2 Sprint packages in 67 a was a inline 6 b was a v8 both really only had a c strip on the side.The way i look at it its your car do whatever you want its not a rare 1 of 1 car so upgrading things to make it more fun to drive are worth it to me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, everyone. I love hearing about ideas and experiences. Right now, our first step is new alternator and tires and spark plugs so we can drive a bit. We'll wait and see what happens from there!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The other thing I suggest is go to some cruises and shows in your area, even if you don't take your car, just to see other cars and get some ideas. Sometimes an idea may look good on paper or in a thread like this but it may not be for you when you see it in reality, plus you may see an idea that was never thought of.

If considering mods, look at other cars too including GM and Chrysler vehicles, to get ideas as to what is out there. Some aftermarket companies support all 3 and you can find similar looking parts that are tailored to fit each vehicle. You can get paint ideas from looking at any make vehicle too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.