Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Got a great buy on a set of pristine 18" OEM chrome bullitt rims and tread from a 08 Shelby GT with no wear. The guy went to 20" rims. Just a couple of questions. I assume they will replace my 17's with no problem? Can my SCT 2 change my speedo setting to the 18" size? I also believe the TPMS sensors are on the rims since they have never been separated. I'm picking them up today. Thanks.

G

·
They'll fit with no problems and you can adjust for the larger diameter wheel with your SCT 2.

Pics... pics!

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Hi all,

Got a great buy on a set of pristine 18" OEM chrome bullitt rims and tread from a 08 Shelby GT with no wear. The guy went to 20" rims. Just a couple of questions. I assume they will replace my 17's with no problem? Can my SCT 2 change my speedo setting to the 18" size? I also believe the TPMS sensors are on the rims since they have never been separated. I'm picking them up today. Thanks.
The question is "Are the rims wide enough to correctly mount the GT500 tires"

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are off a Shelby GT not a GT500 if it makes a difference. Actually I meant going from 17" to 18" Oh, and I have an 07 GT.

G

·
you will need to have a tire shop recalibrate the TPMS system when you swap the tires. You may also need a new...crap my memory is fading...sterring stop kit to keep your new wheels from rubbing. Mustangs that came with 18" wheels from the factory came with the correct parts already installed...dont quote me on the part name but it has been referenced here on the site before.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
you will need to have a tire shop recalibrate the TPMS system when you swap the tires. You may also need a new...crap my memory is fading...sterring stop kit to keep your new wheels from rubbing. Mustangs that came with 18" wheels from the factory came with the correct parts already installed...dont quote me on the part name but it has been referenced here on the site before.

That's odd, my car had 17's on the lot and I went with 18x9.5's with 275's on the front and lowered it the next day. I have ever had anything rub a bit.

G

·
Mine came with 18"s so I never had a problem but from some of the threads posted by other forum members, they have had some clearance issues. Just like driveline vibrations...its on a car by car basis I guess

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think the rubbing would occur more if you went to a bigger rim, and didnt match up with the right tire size (As in you get tires that are taller then the stock ones). I am assuming those rims you got from the shelby are 9inch wide rims in the front and like 10.5" in the back or something like that? So the tire size is probably 255/45/18 which has an overall diameter of 27" for the front and 285/40/18 which has an overall diameter of 27" for the back. The stock gt wheels are 235/55/17 i think, which have an overall diameter of 27". So you wont even have to calibrate your speedometer for that. Its the same.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
You can’t accurately calculate tire diameter by using the tire “size” on the side of the tire. Not only are they not very true to size from manufacturer to manufacturer I have found that they are not very true to size even if they are from the same manufacturer. I have calculated a tires diameter using the numbers on the tire and then measured it and they have been way off. By way off I mean up to and more than an inch. The numbers on the sides of the tires are more a suggestion than a rule.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I think the rubbing would occur more if you went to a bigger rim, and didnt match up with the right tire size (As in you get tires that are taller then the stock ones). I am assuming those rims you got from the shelby are 9inch wide rims in the front and like 10.5" in the back or something like that? So the tire size is probably 255/45/18 which has an overall diameter of 27" for the front and 285/40/18 which has an overall diameter of 27" for the back. The stock gt wheels are 235/55/17 i think, which have an overall diameter of 27". So you wont even have to calibrate your speedometer for that. Its the same.
They're 235/50 18" all the way around on 8.5" rims. Most came with BFG's. Some unlucky folks got Pirelli's.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the reply's. Here's my update... Simply put, they look great! I cleaned them up last night and went to Ford this morning and had them mounted this morning. TPMS works, no light came on. No rubbing either. I'll use my SCT to recalibrate the speedo. Right they are 18x8.5 with BFGs 235/50 with no wear. Still have the rubber hairs on top of the tread. I paid $1050 for them. I think I got a good buy. They look very good with the wind veil blue and my silver stripes. I'll have to work on some pics

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the reply's. Here's my update... Simply put, they look great! I cleaned them up last night and went to Ford this morning and had them mounted this morning. TPMS works, no light came on. No rubbing either. I'll use my SCT to recalibrate the speedo. Right they are 18x8.5 with BFGs 235/50 with no wear. Still have the rubber hairs on top of the tread. I paid $1050 for them. I think I got a good buy. They look very good with the wind veil blue and my silver stripes. I'll have to work on some pics.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Thanks for the reply's. Here's my update... Simply put, they look great! I cleaned them up last night and went to Ford this morning and had them mounted this morning. TPMS works, no light came on. No rubbing either. I'll use my SCT to recalibrate the speedo. Right they are 18x8.5 with BFGs 235/50 with no wear. Still have the rubber hairs on top of the tread. I paid $1050 for them. I think I got a good buy. They look very good with the wind veil blue and my silver stripes. I'll have to work on some pics
YOu shouldn't have any problems with TPMS, but you will not know until you put about 20 miles or so on the new wheels. I learned this the other day when I put on my wheels with drag radials mounted and drove to the track.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
They're 235/50 18" all the way around on 8.5" rims. Most came with BFG's. Some unlucky folks got Pirelli's.
???

I have stock 17" rims, & I'm planning on upgrading to 20"s or 18"s this summer...

I have Pirellis.... What's wrong with them!? :headscratch:

To the op: Those sound awesome! When are you going to get pictures up?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
???

I have stock 17" rims, & I'm planning on upgrading to 20"s or 18"s this summer...

I have Pirellis.... What's wrong with them!? :headscratch:

To the op: Those sound awesome! When are you going to get pictures up?

I had the stock Pirellis too... almost worn out at 20,500 miles. One reason I bought these is to get the tires too. I have been looking at the OEM chrome rims for sometime but wanted to wait for my tires to wear. Didn't have to wait long.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.