Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, one of my friends has a newer stock camaro and my other friends wants me to race him. I was just wondering if it will be close or I will get smoked. His engine is also a 3.8 like mine.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You will probably win, I used to beat those in my old Cavalier. But the only way to find out is to race

:eyepoppin

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I Dont know. I want to race ASAP though. You Cavy could probably take me too.

·
Registered
554 Posts
jjandascog said:
You will probably win, I used to beat those in my old Cavalier. But the only way to find out is to race

:eyepoppin

Wow! You must have had one of those "Double Secret Probation Mach 3" Cavaliers! I hope you still have it!

HAHAHAHA!

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Gro_oms said:
Well, one of my friends has a newer stock camaro and my other friends wants me to race him. I was just wondering if it will be close or I will get smoked. His engine is also a 3.8 like mine.
What year is your car?

I've dusted several 3.8L F-bodies. Similar hp, but a lot heavier . .. I actually think they have 12-17 more hp

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
you know how to speedshift, right?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
kscoyote said:
What year is your car?

I've dusted several 3.8L F-bodies. Similar hp, but a lot heavier . .. I actually think they have 12-17 more hp
Correction, they have 4-10 more hp than a 99+, 7 more than mine, but they weigh 250 lbs more.

Looked it up and saw you have a 2000, he's up 10 hp, but you have the power/weight ratio in your favor.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
You would win I'm sure cuz of the weight difference. That's one thing that hurt them, especially the V6s is their likeness to a tank.

·
Registered
244 Posts
their added hp is their way to make up for their added weight...from a dig you should be good...from a roll...well let's hope you jump in your power band a lot quicker than he does...only time's ever ever been beaten by any car actually is when I shift to 5th and have no real pull in that gear...you should be good...just beware of all the excuses...
and if you lose, go out with ur head up and don't give any excuses either...aside from the ford vs chevy vs dodge rivalry, it's still our place as domestics to beat up on the imports

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
YORCHI said:
their added hp is their way to make up for their added weight...from a dig you should be good...from a roll...well let's hope you jump in your power band a lot quicker than he does...only time's ever ever been beaten by any car actually is when I shift to 5th and have no real pull in that gear...you should be good...just beware of all the excuses...
and if you lose, go out with ur head up and don't give any excuses either...aside from the ford vs chevy vs dodge rivalry, it's still our place as domestics to beat up on the imports

:winks you know it

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, we didnt race yesterday, but we will soon. I will update you guys when we do. And I am a complete noob and have no clue how to speedshift.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Gro_oms said:
Well, we didnt race yesterday, but we will soon. I will update you guys when we do. And I am a complete noob and have no clue how to speedshift.
Keep your throttle foot planted, and shift really fast without lifting your right foot. It should only take a couple of 0.10s (if that long) before it's complete.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, thanks..... should help.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Wow! You must have had one of those "Double Secret Probation Mach 3" Cavaliers! I hope you still have it!
Nope, traded it for an 01 GT. Can not rag on the Cavilier to much, it lasted 211K miles before the block cracked.

I Dont know. I want to race ASAP though. You Cavy could probably take me too.
It could beat the automatics, but with the 5 speeds it was about even up untill about 90 then I would slowly pull a car length and then it was even again. But it was not stock

·
Registered
124 Posts
Don't be so confident you're going to crap all over that Camaro. You're in a vert and they weigh a good amount more than a regular V6 Stang. If the Camaro is hardtop and bone stock it'll be a drivers race but you have a very good chance of taking it if the other guy doesn't speedshift.

If he had anything simple like CAI and exhaust I'd have to swing his way. All I can say is use every weight saving technique you know-

empty gas tank to 1/4
take out jack and spare
go on a diet
etc
etc

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
WS6isKing said:
Don't be so confident you're going to crap all over that Camaro. You're in a vert and they weigh a good amount more than a regular V6 Stang. If the Camaro is hardtop and bone stock it'll be a drivers race but you have a very good chance of taking it if the other guy doesn't speedshift.

If he had anything simple like CAI and exhaust I'd have to swing his way. All I can say is use every weight saving technique you know-

empty gas tank to 1/4
take out jack and spare
go on a diet
etc
etc
oooooh, didn't notice he had a vert.

yeah, they weigh about the same

·
Registered
158 Posts
WS6isKing said:
empty gas tank to 1/4
take out jack and spare
go on a diet
etc
etc
Lol, I don't know how well the going on a diet thing will help. You might as well drive naked too, the extra clothes just add a lot of weight.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
lthompson05 said:
Lol, I don't know how well the going on a diet thing will help. You might as well drive naked too, the extra clothes just add a lot of weight.
What always cracks me up are the 300+lb old boys, who throw out the rear seat, etc to get the weight down on the car, then eat a bucket of KFC and chase it down with a 12 pack of Old Mil.

If they went on a diet, they could leave the rear seat in!

:laughlitt

·
Registered
530 Posts
kscoyote said:
What always cracks me up are the 300+lb old boys, who throw out the rear seat, etc to get the weight down on the car, then eat a bucket of KFC and chase it down with a 12 pack of Old Mil.

If they went on a diet, they could leave the rear seat in!

:laughlitt
Hey now, I can relate to the chicken and Mill water :drool: , and who needs a back seat? Besides you wouldn't want to be back there after I eat a bucket of KFC anyhow :happyhapp

What kills me is guys spending $400 on a carbon fiber hood to save 20 lbs, which makes them much faster than stock. Yet they have 200 lbs. of subs, amps and what not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.