Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ‘95 came with a gold emblems. I don’t know if it came that way from the factory or if they were a dealer option. Dad got the car in ‘95 and they’ve always been on there. A guy at the dealership way back when told him they were for the 30th anniversary, so that’s what we’ve always believed. However, modern day googling says they they didn’t exists, which they obviously do, or that they were a dealer option.
Well mine need a little R&R as they’ve been faded by the sun. The problem is that I can’t find any new ones for sale. I’ve found a few gold pony grill emblems but not any new gold GT side emblems. A while back I found some used ones on eBay but they looked about like mine. I might have found some, but I’m not sure if they’re gold or silver. The picture makes them look gold but when I looked up the Ford part number they listed it came back the silver emblems.
So, if y’all were going to try and repaint them what would y’all use? The parts that would need to be masked off for spray painting are too small really. So I’d have to do it by hand. What would work well with that plastic? I was thinking a paint pen of some sort. I found a gold leaf pen but I think the angles of the GT might make it hard to not make it look homemade. Plus, some of the reviews says it peels off. What’s a good glossy gold paint for plastic that I could brush on? It’d stink to have brush strokes on them. How would y’all go about it?
I don’t have a good close up shot of the side emblems so here’s a close up pic of a silver one. The letters are pretty small.
The trunk emblem is also gold but I think maybe I’ll leave it alone. I spray painted the pony in the grill a little while back. It doesn’t looks ok but not exactly oem. I guess ideally I’d want the emblems to all be the same shade of gold, but maybe I can find something close enough in either pen or brush on form. The side emblems don’t really even look that gold anymore. I think that might be bird poop on the trunk. Or maybe just a spot on the picture as it’s a pic of a pic. The teal was the oem color.
I need to put that plastic cover back on the radiator support.
Does this emblem look gold to y’all?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1994-1...e&pageci=430edcbd-d281-4f59-9731-301a92a87aaa

Attachments

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So the gold ‘95 GT fender emblems are an oem piece. Here are a couple pair being sold on eBay but I don’t think they’re in much better shape than mine. They might be worse, it’s hard to tell.
For the other few fellas with ‘95 GT’s on here are y’all’s gold? It’s too bad no one makes a reproduction gold emblem. I’m tempted to buy one of the eBay pair to see if I can’t “restore them” somehow. I’m not sure how I’d go about doing it though. The black part of the emblem is recessed so taping it off to paint it would be difficult. If you brushed it on with a small brush it would look painted on and not shiny. It has sort of a plated feel to it. These are the ones that I found compared to mine. What do y’all think? About the same or worse huh?
@Beechkid or anyone else, Do you know anyone who I could send them off to to have them restored?
6BBF4043-F7B9-44E4-A84C-882348B578D2.png 4334FF95-1CFC-4461-8D78-ED90AEB23415.png 7E74C2EE-C665-4EDE-891A-D03C3DBE2507.jpeg FCA7B481-6113-4ED7-8243-33822CE28B0D.png

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well they arrived and my originals are a little better. So I got a “gold leafing pen” which is pretty much a gold paint pen. It’s not going all that well at the moment. I’m having a hard time making them not look like a twenty footer. The pen globs towards the end of the stroke. Might be back to the drawing board I dunno.

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here’s the before and after. They might be ten to fifteen footers. 🧐 The verdict is still out as far as if I’m going to use them or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I got ‘em on. They don’t have the same sheen as the oem but they’re brighter and from a distance you can’t tell.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,831 Posts
My best Friend bought a maroon 95 new back in the day with a tan leather interior and it also came with the gold emblems, cool rides his and yours.

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool. They complement well with the body color.
Thanks. The OEM color was teal with gold emblems & pony.

My best Friend bought a maroon 95 new back in the day with a tan leather interior and it also came with the gold emblems, cool rides his and yours.
Thanks man. I guess maybe they were part of an option packaged I don’t know. They have a Ford part number.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Well I got ‘em on. They don’t have the same sheen as the oem but they’re brighter and from a distance you can’t tell.

Came out pretty good

1 - 17 of 17 Posts