Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

goo around water hose

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  wayne57 
#1 ·
My 64.5 mustang has been sitting up without being started in a while.. Today I tried to started ----no start---open the hood and found some goo around the water hose leading into the block. Its coming from the water hose connection, my question is what causes that and what is it?

#2 ·
What color is the goo?

If it is black or the color of the hose (red, maybe green)- I would suspect that the hose is deteriorating and getting soft. Possibly from oil or gas exposure.

If it is a crusty white/yellow (not technically a "goo"). It would be a small coolant leak that is drying up as fast as it is leaking leaving behind a residue, much like a dripping faucet will have calcuim deposits.

How about a picture?

I can't imagine what else it could be unless you have an oil leak that is creating the goo and just happens to be at the coolant hose.

Where exactly is the hose conected? Heater hoses connect to the water pump, bypass hose connects the water pump to the thermo housing, upper radiator hose connects to the thermo housing and lower radiator hose connects to the water pump. I don't know of any hose that connects to the block.

#5 ·
If it is a crusty white/yellow (not technically a "goo"). It would be a small coolant leak that is drying up as fast as it is leaking leaving behind a residue, much like a dripping faucet will have calcuim deposits.

It looks like you could tighten up the hose clamps and stop the leaks. Make sure the clamp is not tighening up and then slipping a tooth. I tend to over tighten those clamps and eventaully they start slipping and then they are useless.

Most of what I can see from your pics tells me that your coolant is just seeping a little bit and drying up to leave a crusty mineral deposit.

EDIT - It is possible that some of your leak may be coming from the water pump and/or thermo neck gasket/s. I would tighten the hoses, clean up the "goo" and keep an eye on that area for future leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.