Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a complete rebuild of my 65 convert and have cleaned and painted many original parts. BUT will replace many with OEM or repros. I live south of Chicago and a Paddock Mustang parts store is not too far away, so I thought I'd just drive down to pick up what I want....to save time and shipping. I'm curious to know if Mustang rebuilders and users of this site have an opinion about their quality, cost, etc. I realize that Paddock distributes many of the same parts as Scott-Drake, Year One, etc., but they are a lot farther away and shipping would be required.

Would appreciate pro and con input.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
IMHO having a good Mustang Supply house within reasonable driving distance is a huge advantage. You don't have to wait for parts and you don't have to pay shipping although you have to pay sales tax. You can examine a part before you buy it or take your old part with you to compare. And if something doesn't work out or it's not up to the fit and quality you think it should be, you can return it.

I'm within easy driving distance of NPD (National Parts Depot). These people are easy to work with and will take things back that I've purchased almost a year ago with no questions asked. If you talk with the counter people, they will tell you what parts are good and which ones to stay away from.

Paddock has been around awhile and as far as I know, has a good reputation. I have some friends that have purchased parts from them and have been pleased. My $.02 :winks

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
^^lucky you. I have to pay for both shipping and tax. Ugh! NPD Mustangs Plus Tony branda just to name a few are good ones. Also mustangsunlimited.com and laurel mountain too.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm lucky enough to live a few minutes away from Mustang's Plus. They have great customer service and a wide array of parts in stock. They are a little pricey on certain parts though.

When it's something I don't mind waiting on I usually use CJ Pony parts. They provide free shipping and are having a 10% sale right now through July 4th...:bigthumbsup

CJ Pony Parts - Ford Mustang Parts

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I don't understand why people still complain about paying for shipping when vendors like CJ Pony Parts are in existence. Always free shipping, except on freight items, but to be freight it has to be pretty big...as in bigger than a FULL quarter panel. My full quarter panel was FREE shipping, still. If I place an order on a Sunday or Monday at CJ's, I consistently have it at my door on Thursday.

As mentioned above, they are constantly having sales and their service is good. Paddock is a damn rip off, especially if they're shipping you something.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I have perused the Paddocks catalog a few times and found that their prices were high compared to others. I have bought most of my stuff from Mustangs Unlimited and have not received any junk - yet.

I live near St Louis and have bought alot of parts, mainly sheet metal, from Mustang Corral...

1965-2005 MUSTANG CORRAL PARTS, SUPPLIES, AND ACCESSORIES

Their site is not much too look at and their facility is pretty junky, BUT I have taken several quotes from MU (usually in excess of $1000) and they have beaten the MU quote and I was able to save any shipping. I could never get a catalog place to compete with other quotes, but I never walked in to there store and talked to face to face with them either. You might try that with Paddock. I'm not associated with the Mustang Corral, but they have treated me right and also have salvage parts and have been eager to help with general Mustang questions.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gentleman....thanks for all the input. I'll check out some of the sites you mentioned that are not familiar to me. Paddock is a couple hrs away but all highway and not a big deal to me. Smoke a cigar and play some tunes and I'm there. My concern is buying catalog unseen (going there solves that), and shipping if I was to buy in lots less than $500. With what will amount to damn near a total rebuild, I expect the cost will be pretty high. My list is well above the $500 so no shipping with Paddock, but still all catalog. I agree that it might be better to see the parts so I'll road trip to Paddock hopefully next week if some of the sites you guys mentioned don't help me. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I pretty much bought from all of the big suppliers. I shopped by price/shipping/tax and the quality of the part to get the best deal. I did not have any problems except for 1 supplier back ordering a needed part and not telling me it was not going to be shipped for a month.

Good Luck and BE Safe
Ron

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Crap! I knew their other 2 stores closed a while ago, which I noted that in their catalog I got last fall. I heard pros and cons about them but nothing about closing. Too bad because it would have been an easy trip down to pick things up. Maybe they will reorganize or new ownership? In the meantime looks like I'm going to have to hunt for a good mail order outfit I can trust to mail good parts to me... outside Chicago....no small distance. I'd gladly accept recommendations.

·
Registered
193 Posts
KAR Mustang in Columbus, Ohio is a reputable place. Outside of a few small items, their prices are good and the guys there are very friendly and know their Mustangs.
Yep, they have a website too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mustangs Unlimited, CJ Pony Parts, Mustang Depot, and sometimes Year One

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
it's generally a pretty safe bet to buy it just from the pictoral description of the website. Mostly because all the vendors are likely to be carrying the same part by the same manufacturer (the finite number of mustangs in existence is an entry barrier and is acts as a limit for a wide variety of manufacturer competition), and secondly because you really don't have a choice if you need that part :bigthumbsup Finally, with all the opinions on the internet today, it's easy to get a gauge on the good and not so good parts out there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use Mustang barn in Souderton, PA:bigthumbsup. I finally got tired of returning parts that didn't fit or were wrong(even with free shipping):nono:. A lot of big Mustang Parts stores are moving to the newer cars and Classic Mustang knowledge is vanishing. I always get the right best part for the car. When I see plenty of Shleby and GT restorations over the years, I know that the place has the right stuff. :smartass:

·
Registered
908 Posts
they had terrible service

Crap! I knew their other 2 stores closed a while ago, which I noted that in their catalog I got last fall. I heard pros and cons about them but nothing about closing. Too bad because it would have been an easy trip down to pick things up. Maybe they will reorganize or new ownership? In the meantime looks like I'm going to have to hunt for a good mail order outfit I can trust to mail good parts to me... outside Chicago....no small distance. I'd gladly accept recommendations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live close to NPD in Michigan. They are OK to deal with but sometimes the prices in the catalog don't reflect actual. Some parts have jumped 10-20%. This seems to happen more often lately than a few years ago. I've bought parts from them for years and have alway had a good experience. I also shop online for the best deal, Laural Mountain Mustang are cheaper than NPD on some parts including the shipping cost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
buying spares in florida

Hi there. I have a friend who is visiting Florida shortly, and he is going to pick up some mustang spares for me . He is visiting Orlando, Miami and Tampa and a few places in between. Apart from NPD, anyone got any suggestions on a good supplier down that way. Cheers everyone. P.S. Have got my 65 fastback at last. Will attempt to post a photo. thanks. Fordie dave UK.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts