Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive only heard of a few clutches, mostly the King Cobra and Centerforce... Which one is a better clutch, and what other clutches are good. I can hear my throwout bearing whining like an 6 year old kid, so I know Im gonna need to replace it. The good thing is that I can replace the Rear Main seal at the same time. Anyway i want a clutch that holds nicely, but Im kind of wary ofblowing up my pre 90 t-5, its supposed to only good for 265 lb/ft, so.... Eventually I think Ill go with the t56 Viper Spe even though its spendy, its still a manual and its the last tranny Ill ever buy for this car... :) Thanks guys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I run the 10.5" Heavy Duty Clutch from FRPP (not the king cobra) and I have no problems with it. I really like it. Much better than the 9" stocker.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Stangboy5666 said:
Ive only heard of a few clutches, mostly the King Cobra and Centerforce... Which one is a better clutch, and what other clutches are good. I can hear my throwout bearing whining like an 6 year old kid, so I know Im gonna need to replace it. The good thing is that I can replace the Rear Main seal at the same time. Anyway i want a clutch that holds nicely, but Im kind of wary ofblowing up my pre 90 t-5, its supposed to only good for 265 lb/ft, so.... Eventually I think Ill go with the t56 Viper Spe even though its spendy, its still a manual and its the last tranny Ill ever buy for this car... :) Thanks guys.
I'm partial to the centerforce dual friction kit, I've had it for the past 3 years and it can still move the tires in 4th. gear. It is also easy on the pedal effort specially in stop and go traffic without sacrificing grip.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I put Luk OEM kits in my old carbed 5.0s, and got good wear. But with more options available for the '92, I will upgrade. I'd probably lean toward the Centerforce. There was a thread on this maybe six or eight months ago, and there were some really bad things posted about the King Cobra. Ford does have at least one good clutch though, probably the one that the Snipah has. Sounds like his car is a foureye.
You could just replace the bearing, if your disk is still good. But that's an awfully big job for such a small part.
I'm also thinking that if you're running 2.73s, a performance clutch might not stand up to that type of abuse. I slip my '92 way more than my old ones, which were 3.08 cars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yup I have a foureye. I blew my original non roller H.O. engine and replaced it with a 89 H.O. roller. I kept the carb setup because I didn't have the money to do the EFI conversion. (I am working on that as we speak though) When I pulled my poor broken engine I replaced the clutch with the 10.5 HD kit. That was 25k miles ago and it's still going strong. I try not to beat on her too much as hate riding my motorcycle in the rain. I gotta tell ya the 300 some odd bucks I forked over for that clutch kit is probably the best 300 bucks I've spent in a long time. I hear the centerforce clutches are pretty good too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I installed a PERFECTION brand clutch (distributed by the ZOOM brand family of clutches) from my local Advance Auto Parts, P/N MU48-1M which is considered their HD clutch. Contained a new clutch disc, press plate, T/O bearing, pilot bearing, and alignment tool for only $138.88. Made by Valeo stamped right on it and has a 2250 lb clamp load, 350 ft/lb torque capacity, & 525 ft/lb release load (more than the King Cobra). Really not much more pedal effort required than the OEM clutch even though it's a heavy duty. Valeo manufactures Fords clutches (OEM and the FRPP HD and King Cobra) along with most other "brand name" clutches.

It's installed and has worked great. Why pay more for the fancy name, advertising, and packaging..............!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Go with a dual friction centerforce. Ive had it for bout two yrs now and I can still slingshot out like a bat outt hell with no slippage, just all pull and grip. 03 gt, NOVI 2000, 430rwhp.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Im running a Spec stage 1 and it holds up perfectly with my combo. No slip whatsoever. Had for about a year and a half.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Be realistic about how much horsepower your motor is actually putting out and what you're using the car for. Sure you can put in one big bad-ass clutch and be able to bench race with your buddies all day. Just keep in mind, put in too much pressure plate with the wrong high friction disc, what sounded way cool back with the guys won't seem so hot when you're enjoying the grabbing and chatter you'll be dealing with at every stop light the whole drive home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.