Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I want heads really bad for my 06' Mustang GT but I don't know if it is a bad idea or what.. Or should i just keep my stock heads and port and polish them? I didnt know if it will be worth the time and money to do either one all together.. Just a noob asking a question so don't be stupid. K?

·
Registered
115 Posts
You say you really want ported & polished heads, but what are your long term goals for the car?
There are plenty of other mods you can do to pick up power without forking out the bucks for a set of heads that are ported and may or may not complement what you've already done to the car. For example; slapping on a set of expensive ported heads, reinstalling the stock cams, factory exhaust manifolds, factory H pipe, etc., will be a disappointing experience. Many, many S197 owners out there are making big power with stock 3V heads. General rule of thumb; Porting does increase airflow, but it almost always REDUCES port velocity at normal engine speeds (where we all drive 99% of the time) depending on how much material was removed and from where in the intake & exhaust port. Don't get me wrong, porting a set of heads is a time honored and proven way to increase an engines power. There is just a sequence of mods that should be followed to maximize your go-fast budget & unless you really need them to support some other mod you've already done, wait until those heads are the thing holding you back.
Oh, and don't stress about asking questions. The only dumb questions are the ones never asked:bigthumbsup

·
Banned
822 Posts
...should i just keep my stock heads and port and polish them?..
Have you ever done any head porting? Do you have all you'd need to do them, including not only the die grinder, burrs, cartridge rolls, etc., but also templates for chamber and port shape? It can get a little involved, but you probably can improve their flow, with just gasket matching and some blending around the valve pocket areas. I really don't know how much these late model heads will need, but I'd guess they flow pretty well from Ford, these days.
As said above, there are other things that will get you more power, with less effort than porting. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, exciting paragraphs you all write lol. Thanks so much for the help especially AgentOrange. Okay my mods are steeda pulleys, jlt series 2, bbk offroad x pipe with magnaflow magnapax and a solid BAMa tune on a diablo tuner.... Oh and cant forget the new cam lol Mutha Thumpr Comp Cams. And my future mods are (i know this is out of reach for now but trust me anything can happen...) Stage 2 Kenne Bell, Bassani mufflers and a new cam.. (kinda got ahead of myself buying this one)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
OP.
Do your homework on where you get the heads from. A forum member got a pair from a very popular Vendor and had major problems with them. Im sure if he sees this thread he will elaborate more.
I dont know if Im gonna add heads but if I do my choices so far are Fox Lake or JPC.

·
Registered
825 Posts
My car made over 600rwhp on the stock heads/cams. Ported heads are not worth the little gain, if any, given the mods that you have.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also was seriously interested in a set of performance heads and a set of cams to match but when I sought dyno charts for these different heads and cams which in the first place their are not many out there to choose from but all the ones I looked at didn't impress me at all you actually lose major low and mid range torque and horsepower and see NO improvement until after 4500 RPM's and it isn't that impressive for the money you are going to dump in, it's not worth it, I have never been one for blowers or turbos or even nitrous but you are way better off with these modular motors it is not cost effective at all with any other mod my major complaint with these newer engines is you have to spin the crap out of them,at least the 4.6 motor to get any real power out of it where like it was mentioned already we spend 90% of our time the heads and cam upgrade is actually going to be less if I did this and came out less on the bottom and middle I would be pi%@d off LOL, it isn't like the old 350 chevy 302/351 windsor 340 chrysler days heads and cam's are just not it anymore. honestly the factory is really doing a pretty good job of getting power out of such little engines already, when and I hope it's a long time before this happens but when my little 281 is worn out I think it is better off to swap for a boss 302 444 horsepower naturally apirated it is pretty awesome but I know thats off topic but for the price of heads and cams would you be better off to throw a little more at it and go coyote???

B
0 Posts
OP.
Do your homework on where you get the heads from. A forum member got a pair from a very popular Vendor and had major problems with them. Im sure if he sees this thread he will elaborate more.
I dont know if Im gonna add heads but if I do my choices so far are Fox Lake or JPC.
That vendor was Livernois Motorsports. I caught them in so many lies it just got ridiculous! There was a really good thread on the S197 forum about problems with Livernois/FRPP cylinder heads also. I'm also pretty confident in my belief that Dan Millen petitioned the site owner to have that thread closed so it would no longer be on the first page of the forum.

WWW.S197FORUM.COM

I posted some pics and information in this thread also:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/327741-buying-cylinder-heads.html

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've got an 8 page (so far) thread over on ModularFords on the on the nightmare I had with a set of these same heads. So now, I have $3600 of high flowing garbage sitting on my workbench. I went back to stock heads. If I were to di it agin, I would have just ported my old heads, and forgotten about all the rest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts