Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the title says. I've heard quite a few people using tire gel to shine up the plastic under the hood and was wondering if it was okay and durable for the side view mirrors and grill?

thanks,

·
Registered
766 Posts
I just use the Armor All protectant. The only black piece that doesn't stay shiny is the piece between the hood and front windshield. I have seen the guys at the car wash use tire shine to shine up the exterior black pieces.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i take an applicator pad and some tire shine. get the pad nice and wet (not drinched, but applied nicely) and wipe all your black plasic. then after about 30 sec or so go behind with the dry microfiber and lightly/quickly wipe it all back off. This will give you a great shine and wiping it off will get rid of any excess and will also eliminate all smears and wipe marks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
What the title says. I've heard quite a few people using tire gel to shine up the plastic under the hood and was wondering if it was okay and durable for the side view mirrors and grill?

thanks,

I believe Mother's has a product called "Back to Black" for exterior trim. It works great on all exterior plastic trim. I even use it on my shaker scoop and it gets rid of the salt build up which appears white on it. I've used it on the engine bay plastic with great success. You just put it on, let it dry and then buff it out!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Meguiars Trim Detailer works amazing Its a thicker liquid ,as it darkens the plastic to basically new and wont wash off the first time you wash your car, even beads nice! and at $7 cdn dollars a bottle like 4 us ( with my company discount ) theres enough there to do the inside and outside of your car over and over and over,

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
i really like the maguires vynle and plastic cleaner/conditioner, tan bottle. works great on all the plastic, hoses, interior, tires, grill ect.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I don't like having a multitude of products on hand for very specific tasks unless absolutely necessary. I use tireshine on anything made of rubber or black plastic, included powder coated parts (which is a plastic coating).
For interior plastic parts I have other products, but on black plastic, tireshine and a microfiber towel work well. I have a dedicated microfiber towel that over time has become saturated with tire shine which makes it easier to use.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
How about a second vote for Ice. I use it on everything exterior, under the hood, in the trunk, wheels, rubber, plastic, paint, etc. Only ONE bottle to do everything.

Frank

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll make a suggestion you may not have entertained yet......about a year ago I purchased from one of the vendors (can't remember which tho) the painted half-mirror covers that 3M right onto the black plastic mirror bodies. I read an endorsement from a forum member that they had added these and I got the windveil blue to match my car. Truth be told, my '05's mirror housings, being so big and just plain black, IMO, looked kinda cheap. The painted add-ons look super.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
WD-40 will work on any black plastic to get it clean and repel dirt... don't use tire-shine on anything that will see sunlight (mirrors, dash, etc) because it will eventually fade/crack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.