Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the heavy, gear-head tech. side, check out the Aug. issue of 5.0 Mustand & Super Fords. It has a SUPER detailed article on the BOSS 302 engine development and differences between the Coyote and the (get this...) "Road Runner" (= BOSS motor). For those of you thinking you'll just bolt on a 302 intake and a tune - then bump the rev. limiter up to 7500 RPM - well, you might wanna read this article first! The extent of the internal changes surprised me! An example: The BOSS doesn't have internal piston oil squirters because at 7500 RPM there was too much "windage".

On the lighter side, check out MotorTrend's comparison of new vs. vintage muscle/pony. They even compare costs by using a metric of the number of weeks pay the average US worker would need to buy the cars. A surprise: The new cars (Camaro SS, Challenger SRT8, and GT500) don't actually cost much more in "work weeks" than their 70's counterparts. No surprise: The new cars simply annihilate the older cars in every metric - performance, handling, comfort, safety, ergonomics - you name it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I read the article on the Boss motor yesterday and it was definitely an interesting read. They specified so many changes internally to support the higher RPM stresses of 7500 vs 7000 RPM it actually shy'd me away from buying a Boss ITM...

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Glad to hear you guys liked the new 5.0 Mag. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
12 Posts
I read the article on the Boss motor yesterday and it was definitely an interesting read. They specified so many changes internally to support the higher RPM stresses of 7500 vs 7000 RPM it actually shy'd me away from buying a Boss ITM...

In an article a quote by a ford representative stated that the new boss motor was safe to revv to 8400RPM..... that is why all those changes were made. they engineer way more into these motors than anybody is willing to get out of them. taking your coyote motor to 7300-7500 isnt that big of a deal.... lots of performance shops have been doing it with their shop cars... IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.