Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While visiting a neighboring state last weekend I was cruising on a very beautiful two lane road and slowly overtook a PT Cruiser. Since the road was hilly and curvy I was not able to pass. The PT Cruiser driver would accelerate and gain about a quarter of a mile on me then I would slowly overtake it. This went on for about ten miles and was very annoying. Eventually we came upon a portion of the roadway where the road widened into a passing lane going up a long hill. I could see that there was a big rig going up the grade some distance ahead and the PT Cruiser was slowly overtaking the big rig. Seeing a chance to pas both the PT Cruiser and the big rig I punched it and went around the PT Cruiser and just before passing the big rig I noticed a "Speed Zone Ahead " sign out of the corner of my eye. Just cresting the hill and just as I finished passing the big rig the speed limit changed from 60 to 35 mph. Thats when I spotted the police on the left side of the roadway with the muzzel of a hand held radar pointed right at me. Of course I got off the accelerator and tappped the brakes and I could see the officer droping the hand held radar and grabbing the gear shift lever. I knew that I had been had so I continued to slow to 35 mph. The officer accelerated rapidly up behind me but followed for about a half a mile before turning his lights on. I'm not trying to make fun of the officer but honestly he was right out of Smokey and the Bandit, mirrored sun glasses and all. 56 in a 35 mph zone. Just about the time I handed him my drivers license, you guessed it, the PT Cruiser goes by and I could hear the "hooping and holloren".:laughlitt :laughlitt :laughlitt :laughlitt !!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Your description of the approach to the "scene of the crime" has "likely ambush site" written all over it....wind-y uphill road, probable frustrated drivers, straightaway just before a speed limit change. Learning experience opportunity.:winks

·
Registered
191 Posts
i think the pt cruiser was in on it ....i would hunt him down and get the ticket money out of his az ...........it was a conspiracy for sure man.....just curios but what state wuz that ??????? sounds like some of our tactics......

:sterb:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've been stopped in a similar situation, exiting a 50 zone into a 35. Officer said he had me a 51, but by the time he could trigger the radar unit I was at 46. I said "You mean like I was slowing down for the 35 zone?" In order to feed his ego, gave me a written warning. I suspect he knew he would most likely loose in court.

If you are close enough to fight that one, I most certainly would. The fact that he clocked you at 56, 9 MPH slower than the 65 zone you were just leaving indicates you were slowing to 35. Vehicles do not make instantaneous velocity changes when they pass speed limit signs. If the court is doing it's job you should have a very good chance of walking. You may also want to take a look at the statute he cited you under to see exactly what it requires, and you might check the vehicle code to see what is required when changing speed zones. If it does not specify some point at which you have to be at the speed of the zone you are entering you will have an excellent chance of beating the ticket.

Good luck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
man i like this guy with the idea of finding out and fighting it......sounds like he is on the right track...........:cool:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just got mine the other day, too! :sosad: 59 in a 40 - ouch $180. I was slowing down, too, but from a 55 MPH zone. It wasn't how I envisioned getitng my first ticket in my GT.

G

·
heres my tactic...on my way to texas i did about 140 most of the way in my old mustang...there was a bunch of us...blew passed about 5 police over 100....my friends who drive sane got tickets for doing over 65...noone bothered to chase me...why? because i'm insane thats why...who would you pull over at 3am if you were a cop? some crazy kid with his head out the window like a dog hollering the rebel yell at 135 or some nice responsible fella doing 69 in a 65 mph zone....you'd go with the easy one too...thats been my experiance...ofcourse it doesnt hurt that my uncle is a highwaycop down there and they all love to hate me...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
this is coming from a cop, bailif... that is BS for that speed limit to drop from 60 to 35. the speed limit has to drop in 10 mph increments or it is illegally posted (at least in Oklahoma, but i am pretty sure that it is a federal law as well. ill do some checking) Example: speed limit is 60, when it changes it has to drop like this: 60, 50, 40 etc. they can drop it less than 10 mph, but not more than 10 at a time. it is unreasonable to expect drivers to slam on their brakes to decelrate that fast from 60 to 35 which is what you would have to do. the problem however, is that the officer did his job (although it sounds like he works for Hazard County and is a jerk) he enforced the limits shown. your beef is with the state or municipality posting the limits (possibly illegally) some city councils dont know the law on the 10 mph increments, and some do, and post illegally anyway. we call those "speedtraps" it pisses me off b/c i get logged together with all those other "Rosco P. Coltranes" that are making $$$ for thier city rather than being real cops just b/c i wear a uniform. i would fight that and argue the unfairness of the limit change. call the state department of safety or transportation to find out what the state law is on limit changes. sometimes signs and limits get posted by mistake, and it takes someone like you to correct it. has happened where i work. the difference is when i KNOW something isnt right like a illegally posted sign, i dont enforce it. (perks of the job)

as far as where a speed zone ends and begins, thats up to the judge. some say at the sign, some say when the sign is LEGIBLY in sight (meaning you can see it and read it) and some give you a distance past the sign to correct your speed. the judge in my municipality says its where you can legibly see it. so if your in a 35 zone you can accelerate up when you see the 45 sign and can read it. (thats usually about 200 feet away from it) so if i catch someone doing 45 in the 35, but they can see the sign, they are not speeding. but where you were at, the judge may say different. :tongue

G

·
rock on gtnos!!! speakin of hazard county...i just got my dixieland airhorn installed...its my nod to the general lee.....AWESOME!!!!!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
hey, what i do is just a job, nothing personal, it pays the bills (barely) im not out to screw people over just enforce the law. when its not right, its not right, and i will be the first one to call BS.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I drive through a school zone every morning that drops from 50 to 25, and I always obey. I'v nearly gotten rear-ended many times. I guess it's different for school zones? It's a sharp drop, and at the hour I come by, there aren't even any teachers there, but the lights are still flashing. I may speed elsewhere, but not in school zones.

bailiff, man, you got skrewed

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
ultraclyde said:
I drive through a school zone every morning that drops from 50 to 25, and I always obey. I'v nearly gotten rear-ended many times. I guess it's different for school zones? It's a sharp drop, and at the hour I come by, there aren't even any teachers there, but the lights are still flashing. I may speed elsewhere, but not in school zones.

bailiff, man, you got skrewed
i forgot, school zones are an exception that disproves the rule. they get away with that b/c of the advanced warning you should get such as the lights, bigger signs, and most have "school zone ahead" "school" or "school crossing" signs before the zone starts. i think they made it different for those b/c they are only on certain times of the day. 50 to 25 is a big drop though, still sounds like poor planning on the street dept. or state

and since i didnt say it earlier let me make sure you are all informed.

Police departments dont set the speed limits on roads/highways. if it is a road you need to gripe to the city council or town hall of the municipality it is in. they set them. if it is a highway or interstate, then contact that states department of transportation or public safety (whichever your state has) thats who sets those limits. the cops are just the poor saps that are employed to enforce the dang things. (granted, some of us are jerks, and some of us have been doing it for 20+ years and are burnt out, anxiously awaiting retirement peeved b/c they already could have thier 20 in if the dept had gotten on the pension plan sooner)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just for clarification, I'm not complaining about getting the ticket because I was speeding nor am I complaining about the police officer doing his job. I just thought the circumstances were kind of comical, especially when I got the rasberry from the couple in the PT Cruiser. The officer explained to me that if I did not have any recent tickets that I could contact the court clerk and ask to go to traffic school and he did say that I have a "nice car" in a heavy Arkansas accent. When you get to be my age traffic school wouldn't help. You just can't own an 05 or 06 mustang and not be tempted to push it over the speed limit on occasion. Everybody knows that you pay for your thrills. School zones are definately not the place to be getting a thrill and the location where I was speeding was not a school zone. Thanks for all the advice though but I think I'll just pay the fine and court costs. There have been plenty of times when I should have gotten a ticket and didn't

·
Registered
418 Posts
I got pulled over for 40 in a 35. They gave me a warning but I think they just wanted to pull me over to say "we're watching you". Annoying.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Pyrat said:
I've been stopped in a similar situation, exiting a 50 zone into a 35. Officer said he had me a 51, but by the time he could trigger the radar unit I was at 46. I said "You mean like I was slowing down for the 35 zone?" In order to feed his ego, gave me a written warning. I suspect he knew he would most likely loose in court.

If you are close enough to fight that one, I most certainly would. The fact that he clocked you at 56, 9 MPH slower than the 65 zone you were just leaving indicates you were slowing to 35. Vehicles do not make instantaneous velocity changes when they pass speed limit signs. If the court is doing it's job you should have a very good chance of walking. You may also want to take a look at the statute he cited you under to see exactly what it requires, and you might check the vehicle code to see what is required when changing speed zones. If it does not specify some point at which you have to be at the speed of the zone you are entering you will have an excellent chance of beating the ticket.

Good luck.
Fight if you want but you will not win...unless the state says radar can not be run within so many feet of a speed change..but I have never seen a law like that.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Boglin said:
I got pulled over for 40 in a 35. They gave me a warning but I think they just wanted to pull me over to say "we're watching you". Annoying.
warning for 5 over? he was just checking out your ride, man. you know ford hasnt made a "Pursuit Mustang" since the early 90's. i have been trying my best to talk my chief into ordering a couple of fleet ones and deck'n them out. he is afraid we will wrap them around trees and poles i guess..... will continue my woes of trying to catch crotch rockets in my vic....:sosad:

·
Registered
191 Posts
its like the man said it is a job or for many an adventure...i have a bunch of cops that come in my dealership and several over the years have become friends...they have as much fun laughing at us and complaining of the stupid things we do as well......when i get a ticket i allways deserve it or like you said i might have gotten away with so much in the past that i was due....still hate to pay those fines but it is fun to see that look on there face when ya blow by them.......or rather the look on our faces when they catch us....:cool:

·
Registered
191 Posts
p.s. were in oklahoma are you an officer????

·
Registered
191 Posts
did you get the roush in tulsa??????

1 - 20 of 37 Posts