Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep... I put the 2005 GT Zex kit in my V6! WOOHOO!!!

Right now we are playing it conservative and running only the 75HP jets... See a gain of about 62RWHP... and close to 100ft/lbs! My numbers ended up:

246RWHP
321RWTQ

I will try to get my graphs up soon.. in the meantime more details on my Zex and install is at: Got Zex

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
fishingjts said:

Right now we are playing it conservative and running only the 75HP jets... See a gain of about 62RWHP... and close to 100ft/lbs! My numbers ended up:

246RWHP
321RWTQ

I will try to get my graphs up soon.. in the meantime more details on my Zex and install is at: Got Zex
You crazy man :laughlitt Let us see some more burn outs :kooky: :worship

·
Registered
465 Posts
fishingjts said:

246RWHP
321RWTQ

Way to go John! Looks like you just moved yourself into GT Territory. If you get wild and go with the 125HP shot, you'll leave the GT's and be running with Vipers or better.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rgensemer said:
Way to go John! Looks like you just moved yourself into GT Territory. If you get wild and go with the 125HP shot, you'll leave the GT's and be running with Vipers or better.
Well.... I am seriouly comtemplating putting in the 100HP jets... I'm going back to Lidio's next Saturday (week from tomorrow) and we're going to do more tweaking and monitoring... He's very cautious and I completely respect him for that... he's not one to just say "Let's go for it!" He is very methodical... Let's learn to walk before we run! LOL!

Ok.. just had the bottle topped off... Weather permitting I'm going to the track tomorrow...

·
Registered
465 Posts
fishingjts said:
Well.... I am seriouly comtemplating putting in the 100HP jets... I'm going back to Lidio's next Saturday (week from tomorrow) and we're going to do more tweaking and monitoring... He's very cautious and I completely respect him for that... he's not one to just say "Let's go for it!" He is very methodical... Let's learn to walk before we run! LOL!

Ok.. just had the bottle topped off... Weather permitting I'm going to the track tomorrow...
Does the kit come with two different jets? Did Lidio have to come up with a new tune for the SCT? I've never had the pleasure of running NOS; if you hit the switch do you immediately start using up Nitrous or is it "on demand" under WOT?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rgensemer said:
Does the kit come with two different jets? Did Lidio have to come up with a new tune for the SCT? I've never had the pleasure of running NOS; if you hit the switch do you immediately start using up Nitrous or is it "on demand" under WOT?
Ok... the kit comes with jets for:

75HP, 100HP, 125HP, 175HP... and perhaps 150HP... can't remember... on the 150...

The kit is technically for the GT... with that in mind the instructions say that with the 75HP jets you can run with the stock timing and 92+ Octane... If you go above 75HP you need to start pulling some timing...

We were extra cautious so we put all the timing advances back to stock and actually pulled 2 extra degrees... I am going back in a week and we'll do some more tuning... Lidio's wideband O2 was on the fritz... we think I'm running a little rich at the low RPMs... Looking forward to going back!

I have never driven a car with Nitrous either... I was suprised how smooth the power comes on! You can definitely tell it's there but not as harsh as I thought it was going to be... The kit taps in to your Throttle Position Sensor wire... when the system is "on" and you hit WOT it sprays! If you have a manual transmission it's a good idea to add a window switch so the spray doesn't happen at a low RPM... with the automatic you really don't need a window switch...

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hehe, that gas makes me giggle:laughlitt . I would leave it at 75 and enjoy it for a long time as opposed to pumping it up 125 and having a grenaded bottom end:happyhapp . hmmm...I wonder if there's anyway if you grenade it the N20 could be removed (and any other go fast parts) and you could have the motor fixed under warranty (I shifted from 5th to 4th to pass a truck and the whole thing blew up! Lucky I was'nt hurt!!!):gringreen. I know very little about OBD's:dunce: , is there anyway you can get away with that?

At anyrate we need another burnout video, that last one was very righteous for a v6 (or lot's of v8's for that matter!!):drool: .

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tastyone said:
Hehe, that gas makes me giggle:laughlitt . I would leave it at 75 and enjoy it for a long time as opposed to pumping it up 125 and having a grenaded bottom end:happyhapp . hmmm...I wonder if there's anyway if you grenade it the N20 could be removed (and any other go fast parts) and you could have the motor fixed under warranty (I shifted from 5th to 4th to pass a truck and the whole thing blew up! Lucky I was'nt hurt!!!):gringreen. I know very little about OBD's:dunce: , is there anyway you can get away with that?

At anyrate we need another burnout video, that last one was very righteous for a v6 (or lot's of v8's for that matter!!):drool: .
Yeah... If we go change the jet it will be just to the 100HP... not the 125s... Again... we won't take that jump lightly...

Well, you know... This is my view... I put the things on my car... I understand the risks involved... I made the decision to do it.. now if I kill something I will not try to get Ford to pay for my mistake... And in the end Ford will just pass that cost on the the rest of the car buyers... To me it just doesn't seem right to take everything off and say, "i don't know what happened...." Just my humble opinion...

As far as a another burnout video... OMG!!! I've only done one TINY little burnout with the juice... IT WAS INSANE!!! Will take me while to get up the nerve to try making burnout video with the Nitrous... LOL!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
AWESOME CAR!! :drool: :worship

Now im thinking of getting the nitrous kit first, before i get the Vortec SuperCharger.

Did the nitrous kit require any reflashing (tuning)?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
myromac87 said:
AWESOME CAR!! :drool: :worship

Now im thinking of getting the nitrous kit first, before i get the Vortec SuperCharger.

Did the nitrous kit require any reflashing (tuning)?
If you stick with the 75HP shot you can run stock timing plus you'll need to run 91+ Octane gas... if you go above the 75HP shot you need to pull some timing... I'm running the 100HP shot now... we put the car back to stock timing and we pulled an extra 2 degrees... and I run 93+ Octane (sometime 94) I have had no signs of detonation...

·
Registered
154 Posts
John I am thinking that Nitros may be the mod for my GT before a Vortec. Having never had Nitro before my question is when on the trrack do u hit the button as you go into 4th, or do u hit it right from the get go? Also guys what is WOT?

Thanks Steve

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
speco2005 said:
John I am thinking that Nitros may be the mod for my GT before a Vortec. Having never had Nitro before my question is when on the trrack do u hit the button as you go into 4th, or do u hit it right from the get go? Also guys what is WOT?

Thanks Steve
WOT = Wide Open Throttle

It's a two step kind of system. First you turn the system on or "Arm" it. When the system is armed you will start to spray when you go WOT. WOT is determinded by watching the voltage coming from the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). You simply splice the Zex control unit in to the wire coming off the TPS. You then "teach" the Zex control unit what WOT is by pressing the gas to the floor (while the car is not running of course!). Very simple!

You also want to make sure you don't spray at to low of an RPM incase you bog the motor... with an automatic it about impossible to bog the motor... on a stick however you can easily bog the motor at WOT and end up spraying when you really don't want to... so for a manual tranny they recommend a "window" switch which adds another control... so it would be system "armed", WOT and above a set RPM...

For me, I've got the auto so I simply launch at about 1500 RPM and then smoothly push the pedal down... I hit WOT, nitrous comes on and then I hold on! LOL!

I really like my Zex...as a matter of fact I just ordered a 2nd bottle!!! LOL!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I was all set to go on the Dyno tonight to see how my car performs with the ZEX, but it was cancelled due to rain. I cannot wait to see my numbers with the N20.
I have not installed the purge kit but want to (maybe the stobe kit), where do you connect the purge tube?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rgensemer said:
I was all set to go on the Dyno tonight to see how my car performs with the ZEX, but it was cancelled due to rain. I cannot wait to see my numbers with the N20.
I have not installed the purge kit but want to (maybe the stobe kit), where do you connect the purge tube?
Bummer...

Yeah, i need to document my purge value install.. haven't done that one yet... LOL

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
speco2005 said:
John does the purge unit come with the kit? What is the funtion of it?
No, the purge kit is not part of the base kit.... however it is part of the "racer's" accessory package (which I highly recommend).

By purging you are bleeding all the air out of the supply line so you have the Nitrous right up to the solenoid... That way way you are sure to have the juice right from the get go...

The racers package consists of:

Purge Kit - not mandatory but sure is nice
Heater - again not mandatory but on cool day it brings the bottle pressure nicely!
Pressure Gauge - while it might not be mandatory, I certainly would be with out it! Bad things can happen if you bottle is over pressurized...
Safety Blow Down Tube - mandatory at many tracks. This vents the nitrous outside the car incase the saftey pressure relief value ever pops!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
How long does a nitrous spray last when you release it? Is it just an instantaneous burst of speed like you see in the movies or what?

I know next to nothing about nitrous other than the fact that it increases the amount of combustion when it's mixed in with the fuel/air mixture in the engine, hence pushing the engine past its stock capacity.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tw0scoops123 said:
How long does a nitrous spray last when you release it? Is it just an instantaneous burst of speed like you see in the movies or what?

I know next to nothing about nitrous other than the fact that it increases the amount of combustion when it's mixed in with the fuel/air mixture in the engine, hence pushing the engine past its stock capacity.
The nitrous spray last as long as you hold the car WOT or until your bottle runs out. I've been a good boy and have used it only at the track... LOL! I was getting about 10 1/4 mile runs on the 10 pound bottle using the 75HP jets... I'm not sure how many I'm getting with the 100HP jets.

The 75HP shot came on very smooth... not at all what I was expecting... nothing like the movies... I was very nervous the first time I used it... I had no idea what to expect! The spray came on and all of a sudden the car had more power... it was like it was just there... there was no slamming back in the seat...

Now the 100HP was a bit more harsh... You definitely felt it hit! It wasn't as wild as the movies... but you definitely felt it more.... The 100HP did sit me back!

Now your passenger will have a completey different experience... I noticed that when we took the 75HP shot out for a test drive and Lidio was driving... When your driving you've got a good grip on the steering wheel... when you're in the passenger seat you're not hanging on to anything in front of you... so when the spray comes on YOU REALLY FEEL IT! LOL!

I knew nothing at all about Nitrous until I bought this Zex kit... The Zex kit is really pretty idiot proof... only think i would recommend for the manual trannys is a window switch... this prevents you from spraying a to low of an RPM... (in case you bog the motor)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Brent at Brenspeed.com has been expermenting with the nitrous also. I too ordered this kit for my GT. I was told that on the Dyno, after 75hp the cars will start to melt the plugs. Autolite is the first company to manufacture a "colder" plug for these cars. If you plan on increasing the HP on the system, you need to go to Sparkplugs.com and order the colder plugs for your car. If not, and your car starts missing, dont worry, its just a plug or two.

The part number for the original plug is HT1 and the colder plug is HT0(zero).
I got my plugs in the mail today and my Zex system should be here tomarrow.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
limestang05 said:
Brent at Brenspeed.com has been expermenting with the nitrous also. I too ordered this kit for my GT. I was told that on the Dyno, after 75hp the cars will start to melt the plugs. Autolite is the first company to manufacture a "colder" plug for these cars. If you plan on increasing the HP on the system, you need to go to Sparkplugs.com and order the colder plugs for your car. If not, and your car starts missing, dont worry, its just a plug or two.

The part number for the original plug is HT1 and the colder plug is HT0(zero).
I got my plugs in the mail today and my Zex system should be here tomarrow.
Haven't swapped out the plugs yet... I've got about 10 passes on the 100HP shot with no problems yet... Perhaps the V6 is easier on the plugs..LOL! Also does running richer keep the temp down?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts