Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My main strategy is to dial easy (hold some) then drive the stripe. I had to change my strategy and decided to dial hard and run it out the back a few weeks ago.

I was double entered and made my first round elimination run in the street class. I staged a tad too deep, my 60’ increased by .028, got the red eye -.021 lose, and ran it out to a 14.342 @ 98.47mph. I figured that if I staged correctly it would have been a .00x light and gone 14.32. I put a 14.33 on the car and got back into the staging lanes for pro eliminations. I lined up against a ’60’s 2 door Falcon wagon with a 10.90 dial. Driver is a killer and runs (and wins) 10.90 index events. He was also running (foot breaking) in the super pro class against dragsters. This guy has more event wins than I have passes and can play the top end game. I figured that if I tried to do my usual hold and back in I would be played like an old violin. I decided to be careful and do a perfect stage. I dialed down to a 14.31, and decided no matter what I would run it out the back door. I was hoping that Dan would view my car as a silly street car and cut a conservative (.020) light. In the lanes he told me that the car wasn’t running the number and I told him I wasn’t hitting the tree. Both of us started laughing at each other. So much for either of us trying to deceive each other. We both knew that game and knew that this one was going to come down to the wire. We both decided to shallow stage wished each other luck and shook hands. Time to focus and race. I need to put out my A game for sure. I did my normal burnout and came up the line and stopped just short of the prestage beam. The Falcon did the same. I tapped the pre-stage on and waited. Dan did the same. I then slid slowly and lit the stage beam and stopped. I looked over at the Falcon taking .0005 taps forward until it was staged. I focused on the bottom of my 2nd amber. Bam, out hard with a green. Hit my shift perfect then looked for the Falcon. It felt like a great light. By the time I picked up the Falcon in the mirror he was already coming. I didn’t see what kind of light my opponent had. Oh well I’m just going for the ride at this point. At the 1000’ marker the Falcon was coming really hard. My heart sank and I knew I wasn’t going to take stripe at that rate of speed. Normally with this look I would have hit the breaks and started to scrub ET praying for a breakout win. My mind was racing with thoughts. Perhaps I cut a bad light…but no it felt really good…. so the Mustang must be running way slowly….. stupid pony…stupid hard dial…stupid driver. I still stood on the gas. Just before the MHP marker the nose of the Falcon came down. My look now was that I was going to take stripe by .01x. A perfect MOV. Dan wasn’t done with me yet. Now inside the MPH marker (closer than 60’ to the stripe) the nose of the Falcon drops again putting me in front by more than a hood. Oh no….. I'm taking tooooo much stripe. As we pass the finish my heart sinks again but to my surprise a huge bright win light in my lane. I pick up the slip. I was .011 on the tree, back to my correct 60’, and ran a 14.323 on the 14.31 dial. This was a huge round win. Dan is an increasable racer and he showed me 3 different looks at the top end. Dan was a very green for him .019 and went 10.947 @ 105.37 on the 10.90 dial. At the end he fed me a .0422 MOV. Lucky for me I dialed the car hard and ran it out. I didn’t bite on any of his antics. Got a win and an education on top end racing. I also got 6 handshakes from the other racers in doing a great job. Unfortunately I couldn’t turn this win into a roll and lost 2nd round. I will however use the round win to mentally focus before each race this season. I’m still using all the positives to get better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice run and a nice write up. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Nice! You need to do this more often and bring home 2 trophies in one night! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
918 Posts
You do such a good job of providing details that I feel like I'm riding along. I love your race reports.

It always feels extra good to pick up a win against a really good opponent. So you had a .024 package on that run? I'd say that's getting the job done!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You do such a good job of providing details that I feel like I'm riding along. I love your race reports.

It always feels extra good to pick up a win against a really good opponent. So you had a .024 package on that run? I'd say that's getting the job done!

Thanks. Yes it was a .024 package. I was really concerned about the dial. I didn't know if it was going to run a 31 or 32. I went with the 31 to be a bit safer on a possible breakout but was worried that one over with change wasn't going to give me a winning package.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
hey i just learned what a package was!! lol

great write up,congrats on a tough win:bigthumbsup

and im with mike,feels like im riding shotgun when i read your stories

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Might be more here that don't know. In bracket racing a package is positive reaction time + (the actual ET-the dial in) Redlights and running quicker that the dial don't count. I can't be .100 on the tree and make it up on the top end by going .100 faster than my dial.

Example my .011 reaction and 14.323 ET minus the dial in of 14.31
.011 + .013 = .024 package.

My opponent: .019 reaction and 10.947 ET minus the dial in of 10.90
.019 + .047= .066 package.

My opponents .066 package lost to my .024 package.
.066 - .024 = .042 which was my margin of victory (MOV) Computer figures to 9 places but only prints 4 places. Computer figured my mov to be .0422. That MOV works out to be a little more that 7'.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Might be more here that don't know. In bracket racing a package is positive reaction time + (the actual ET-the dial in) Redlights and running quicker that the dial don't count. I can't be .100 on the tree and make it up on the top end by going .100 faster than my dial.

Example my .011 reaction and 14.323 ET minus the dial in of 14.31
.011 + .013 = .024 package.

My opponent: .019 reaction and 10.947 ET minus the dial in of 10.90
.019 + .047= .066 package.

My opponents .066 package lost to my .024 package.
.066 - .024 = .042 which was my margin of victory (MOV) Computer figures to 9 places but only prints 4 places. Computer figured my mov to be .0422. That MOV works out to be a little more that 7'.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.