Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the stang to a friend of a friend, real nice guy who was only charging me $75. I stuck around to help out and see just what's involved in the gear swap. It turned out to be the biggest PITA this guy has ever seen, and he has decades of experience with mustangs and racing.

As I had suspected, the previous owner appearently had a gear in and took it out before he traded. The only problem was he had no clue what he was doing, nuts were rounded off and he must have put it back together dry and overtightened everthing. It took about 6 hours to get everything apart, we even had to bang the old pinion out with a sledge hammer. Those C clamps where also a B****.

Everything went back together good and it was done right this time. He also verified that my unidentified mufflers were indeed Flowmasters, and we also found some Steeda springs, whick I meant to get the part # off of. As far as the 4.10s go, MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE:eyepoppin . So glad I went with the 4.10's instead of the 3.73's. RPMS aren't too bad, [email protected], but it really gets you through the gears in a hurry. Now I just need to get the speedo corrected, hello Predator!

·
Registered
3 Posts
What kinda of a difference is there between the stock gears and the 4.10s? What is the difference in acceleration mainly? I see there is a huge debate on what gears to get, but is there any resource that can give results for the different gears to be put in?
I have an auto and saw the common answer for autos were the 4.10s, I just need some info to make a decision before I get them.

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:worship HUGE DIFFERENCE! I debated which gear to go with for weeks. It all came down to the type of driving I do, which is mostly city driving, weekend cruising, and weekend track time. For that reason I went with the 4.10's, and I am glad I did. My third gear really came to life and seems to pull ALOT harder, as do all the gears, third was just a little more noticable.

When cruising down the highway at 80mph in 5th, I am running at about 2600rpm, which is fine for me, I don't need to be going 80 on the highway anyways. If you do alot of highway driving/speeding, 3.90's may be a better option. If you like to cruise at the speed limit and only have the occasional race on the highway, 4.10's are the way to go, IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 98GT and im getting gears pretty soon. I guess i nees 3.90s i do mostly city driving but i have too travel home to Ala. Its at least a 200 mile trip and i keep the spedo around 80.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How often do you make that trip? 80 really isn't bad in 5th, however if your exhaust is loud it could get pretty annoying. The difference between 3.90's and 4.10's is minimal, but I guess every little bit helps. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.