Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got the Patriot Stage 2 heads and Cams finished... only to find out during the tune I got a spun rod bearing...:so. Time for an upgrade....AGAIN :eyepoppin!!! Anyway. I am looking at forged stroker shortblocks... prefer a big bore. I have looked at VT, CHP and MMR. Does anyone have any other places I could check on? I will be buying it within the week. I am sick of not having my car!!!:sterb:

anyway.. 350RWHP here I come... then its blower time :happyhapp

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Check what Dart has. They make some rock solid blocks. A bit pricey though.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
http://www.dssracing.com/ I have heard that stroker 4.6s don't last long, that the 4.6 already has a pretty long stroke. Not sure, but I have heard good things about DSS. I really want the 4.6 Pro Mod.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
funny you should mention DSS. I had never heard of them and then after my mechanic and me decide on them.. you post up lol. I gotta check which one I am getting.. I think it is the Pro MODular.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just a little input on stroker kits.

It is not the long stroke that makes the motor wear out like crazy.
It is the connectingrod to stroke ratio which is important. With about 1.6:1 ratio for a stock 4.6 ford engineers are already pushing it.
Look at a Mopar 383cui and you see that the rod to stroke ratio is almost 1.9:1. The smaller this rod to stroke ratio is the more force will be seen on the side of the cylinder wall (piston), which causes a lot of wear. (I can draw a force diagram if requested)
So If a stroker kit has to be long lasting in a 4.6, the stroker kit needs to have a longer rod and therefore the piston pin mooved up top to compensate for the longer stroke and longer rod. But that again causes problems around the piston ring area. Lets face it:
The 4.6 is just not having the required block hight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.