Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:sosad: I bought my 68 from someone who has no history on the car. I need to know how I can tell whether the disk brakes are stock or after-market. When I replaced the bearings, they were larger, B13 instead of B16 outer bearing. I replaced the calipers (mustang) and they were identical to the calipers that I had. They fit like they should, but I am having a hard time keeping brake pressure (as if I have air in the lines, which I don't).
Is there a difference in the caliper sizing and lines? Can I tell by looking at the spindles?:eyebulge:

·
Registered
146 Posts
The original Mustang calipers and Granada calipers are different, as are the aftermarket calipers. When you replaced the calipers, what did you ask for? Calipers can be put on the wrong side and then you can't bleed all the air out of the line because the bleeder valve is not at the highest point of the fluid in the caliper. Granada calipers is a single piston design.

65fstbk ew Granada front discs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If the bearing was an A13 and you used the 68 type caliper than you have 70-73 type spindles. They are identical to the 68-69 type spindle except the pin has a larger diameter (like Granada). The 70-73 spindles are nearly identical to Granada spindles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Calipers can be put on the wrong side and then you can't bleed all the air out of the line because the bleeder valve is not at the highest point of the fluid in the caliper."

:worshipThanks Merlynr... That was my problem. I swapped the calipers and they bled like I hoped they would. Car is now off to the muffler shop

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.