Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New trunk lid mat from Grand Mat Designs came in last week and I put it on.

I decided against using Stang, Mustang, GT or the horse cuz everyone's got that and mine's no Saleen, Roush or Shelby.

So, I opted for a base mat and slapped a fender emblem on one side. The fender emblem was my first idea that didn't sound stupid but I'm open to some more suggestions. I've also thought of adding a US flag but haven't had much luck finding one that I think will look right.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
That looks good. I'd stay with what you have. You don't want to junk it up. Good job.

·
Registered
52 Posts
that looks really awesome!

G

·
Yup, I would leave it as is. It looks great! How did you affix the badge onto the mat? Is there a website for those mats?

·
Registered
917 Posts
That looks really good as is, I wouldnt clutter it up with anything else.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I agree with everyone else, it looks tasteful as it is.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
122 Posts
very clever but if you want to change it doesnt necessarily have to relate to mustang, go crazy you can put a picture or just have your name or w/e

·
Registered
52 Posts
this is startin to give me some good ideas ...i just bought a polished trunk lid panel .... and i do have some badges from an old 68 mustang ... don't mean to steal your ideas ... it's just that good looking!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
website is:
Aftermarket trunk lid mat and Accessories for Chevrolet,Dodge,Ford,Pontiac

It takes about a month for them to get it to you. Mine was plain and it took three weeks so add time for lettering and such.

Emblem stuck on with some firm, direct pressure. The stock emblems have guide pins on the back to line them up correctly on the fenders. The mat is made of a press board type material so w/ the right amount of pressure the pins will push into the mat. I actually tried several different positions on the mat before deciding on lower right side. If you mess up, the holes aren't noticible unless you know what you're looking for. Also, make sure you press on the emblem(s) before install so you can use a hard flat surface (I used my garage deck which is polished concrete).

The emblem I used was a replica part for a 65-66 Mustang.

Thks for the compliments. and steal away.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Looks real good and the Pony emblems adds a nice touch. I always wondered why Ford did not have a trunk lid mat on our cars. I just got a base model 08 S Focus for a work commuting car and it has a trunk lid mat.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
That's a great look!!

I always wondered if someone made something to cover all that crap, I just never looked for anything.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
That looks real GOOD !!!

I went to the web site, but missed the price of them.

How much are they ??

Thanx

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is a guy on eBay in NY I think, that's selling these too but with the anchor points hidden vice drilled completely thru like mine. I can't vouch for quality but his prices are roughly the same but he lacks the multiple designs like Grand Mat.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
i have been thinking about getting a leather detail corral so i can keep all my polish, windex, and towels in it :)

Us PPR members have to make sure to always be ready for a dirty car :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mat

Trunk Lid mat was sold as a blank mat with no design. Reason I am posting this is that our Ford License will not allow us to do the TRI BAR pony design as this pic is showing. Looks nice,

Thanks for your business.

·
Registered
162 Posts
There is a guy on eBay in NY I think, that's selling these too but with the anchor points hidden vice drilled completely thru like mine. I can't vouch for quality but his prices are roughly the same but he lacks the multiple designs like Grand Mat.

Mat on EBAY, is a KNOCK OFF of our mat. Mat was bought from us to be used to make there patterns. Down side of that is our mats are covered by a design patent which was learned by them a little later after they started making them.

Anchor points are from the back side of the mat, same type of clip but mounted in the mat. When removed , it's a good chance you can tare out the fasten points then the mat makes a good DART board.

Lacks designs because he is not licensed by Ford , which this day and time you need to watch what you make with there marks.
:nono:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Keeping it simple is almost always the best way to go. It looks awesome. I didn't even know you could get it in plain like that. Those giant STANG letters always kinda put me off. That is a real finishing touch. Great job!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thks Joel. I'm not much on the big chromed letters either.

I've got another idea for this part coming soon, definitely by spring time. The ponys covered up most of the time now. I'll keep everyone posted (as long as it still looks good!).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this is an old post - but I gotta say Grand Design Mat has the highest quality I have seen in a trunk mat. I will be calling you next week :bigthumbsup

To OP - Looks great

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.