Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been bored at work so i watched some youtube vids of the Buick Grand National. Those v6 motors sounded sick! What is it gonna take to get our cars to sound that nasty?

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
yeah, they were the "terminator" of their day...

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
I've been bored at work so i watched some youtube vids of the Buick Grand National. Those v6 motors sounded sick! What is it gonna take to get our cars to sound that nasty?
Notice the GN's in those videos are pushing between 700-1500 HP and are shredding the 1/4 mile in 8-10 seconds too.

We need a market interest for our ponies to become the next generation of GN.

J

·
0 Posts
Those Grand Nationals were a beast till about 80,000 to 100,000 miles, then that blown motor was completly toast and it was time to start all over again...

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
The unmodified versions were high 13 second cars. I shocked the hell of myself one morning in 1986 by running one from a stoplight on Rt.2 in Lexington to a draw to the speed limit with my nearly stock carbed '85.

Still, I regard them at this distant remove as a vague sort of peer car to our 80s Mustangs, although they were GM, and, had nothing like the lasting impact.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought they were dual exhaust.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Those Grand Nationals were a beast till about 80,000 to 100,000 miles, then that blown motor was completly toast and it was time to start all over again...

I had 4 Turbo Regals, 1 a DD for 8 years and 140K and it was one of the most dependable cars i have ever owned. In the turbo Regal community I knew of several that were high mileage and never had major maintenance. I think the key to a happy Turbo Regal owner was to know the car and when to do preventative maintenance. The last one was a garage kept 38K mile show winning car with many mods including alcohol injection. Low 11 seconds was a hoot. When I bought it it had only been driven in the rain twice and that was back and forth to the National Buick meet in Boling Green. I should have kept it, I bought it for a DD and sold it 6 months later cause I didn't have the heart to kill it with the miles. I don't want to hijack the thread too much but another missed opportunity by GM by not bringing this back in a desirable performance format. Just like the 04-06 GTO. Fun car, I had one it was fast and drove nice but I couldn't stand to look at it. They should have just brought it up here and kept the name Monaro. Good car but half ass way to make a retro.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I had a chance to buy one at a good price years ago and passed it up.......still kicking my self. One of my favorite cars of all time, great "Bang for the Buck", and one mean mother :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really awesome cars.Just wish we could get our cars to rumble like some of those I saw on youtube.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Really awesome cars.Just wish we could get our cars to rumble like some of those I saw on youtube.
Man I completely agree. Why is it the present Camero V6 gets Twin turbo's and the after market looks at us and turns a blind Eye? I mean really we can only get a procharger system? Theirs a dude on youtube rollin 600+rwhp on a twin turbo'd 2010 V6 Camero. We need the support the 5.0 is getting Ford did it right with our 3.7's when will the aftermarket catch up?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Drove them for 18 yrs, one was the T Type, kind of a sleeper. CT state police used the T Types for several years for highway patrolling.

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
Drove them for 18 yrs, one was the T Type, kind of a sleeper. CT state police used the T Types for several years for highway patrolling.
Its funny to see this post as I just had a long going argument with a young man on my job about the Grand National and the T Type. He came to work and was so excited to tell everyone he had just bought a Grand National. So he shows me a picture of it and plain as day on the side in red it says T Type. He looked at me and said "no man, its a grand national" So I ask himdoes it say GN anywhere else on the car or does it say T Type. He walked off so angry. Two weeks later he comes storming into my area at work waving an article discussing the T Type and the GN. He says "See, they are the same car I have a GN T Type". I look at the article and while it did express they were running (that year and subsequent from there) the same engine, it still expressed they were different models with the GN being more collectible. To this day he still tells others that he is pissed off with me because I will not admit it was a grand national. Guys I would have just said yes, IF he would not have shown me the pic that said T Type.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Its funny to see this post as I just had a long going argument with a young man on my job about the Grand National and the T Type. He came to work and was so excited to tell everyone he had just bought a Grand National. So he shows me a picture of it and plain as day on the side in red it says T Type. He looked at me and said "no man, its a grand national" So I ask himdoes it say GN anywhere else on the car or does it say T Type. He walked off so angry. Two weeks later he comes storming into my area at work waving an article discussing the T Type and the GN. He says "See, they are the same car I have a GN T Type". I look at the article and while it did express they were running (that year and subsequent from there) the same engine, it still expressed they were different models with the GN being more collectible. To this day he still tells others that he is pissed off with me because I will not admit it was a grand national. Guys I would have just said yes, IF he would not have shown me the pic that said T Type.
Yup the T type is not as collectable as the GN. Funny thing- 86-87 It was the same engine and drive train. Far more less T types for 86 and Regal T's for 87 made than the GN and the T's had aluminum bumper supports and wheels so technically they would have been very minutely faster. But human nature and the desire for prestige flaunts us toward the GN as it is the one recognized by most. Also depending on what package the Regal T Type or T had, most had chrome which made the GN a better looking car.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Yup the T type is not as collectable as the GN. Funny thing- 86-87 It was the same engine and drive train. Far more less T types for 86 and Regal T's for 87 made than the GN and the T's had aluminum bumper supports and wheels so technically they would have been very minutely faster. But human nature and the desire for prestige flaunts us toward the GN as it is the one recognized by most. Also depending on what package the Regal T Type or T had, most had chrome which made the GN a better looking car.
There's one on ebay right now and through the ad in several places it says "Grand National T-Type" and it is clearly a T-type that they have put GN wheels on.

Back when they were new, I had two friends that had T-types and one that had a GN. Personally, I like the T-type better because to most it looks just like a regular Regal with some fancy aluminum wheels on it. Makes a much better sleeper.

·
Registered
449 Posts
the gn is my dream car. i spent some time in the gn forums looking and doing research. what turned me off was the lack of turbo tuners around here. and i have heard that those engines can be tricky to rebuild. now the rebuilding part may have been years ago as rebuildin g and balancing techniques may be improved from the 90's. i was going off an article i had read.(this just shows the lack of background i have on the car, its all about LS engines around here, heck even turbo Ls engines are not common, they are mostly supercharged or H/C packages.

but yeah i would not want to buy one and have to take it all the way to san antonio or houston to have it tuned and or fixed.

so i decided on a 2011 mustang v6 that was easy 13 sec capable , gets excellent mpg, has the technology to be a boosted legend, has forged internals, has 6 bolt mains, has an upgraded rear end , 6 speed trans, is a looker....shall i say more? :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
269 Posts
Man I completely agree. Why is it the present Camero V6 gets Twin turbo's and the after market looks at us and turns a blind Eye? I mean really we can only get a procharger system? Theirs a dude on youtube rollin 600+rwhp on a twin turbo'd 2010 V6 Camero. We need the support the 5.0 is getting Ford did it right with our 3.7's when will the aftermarket catch up?
Because that GM motor has been around longer.

And our cars don't sound like that because those old 3.8's were a pushrod. Not a OHC like the 3.7. Also the Turbo acts as a muffling device. It's the same reason SRT-4's didn't have mufflers.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PhillyLS1,you answered my question. I guess we will have to wait to get a REAL nasty sound to come from these engines.Not that I don't get compliments on my welded on Super 44's!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts