Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
** I would've posted this in the stereo section (seeing as that iPod sticky solution is QUITE dated) but I decided to post it here since everything applies to the S197 style and I don't think will work with any other Mustang style as is **

Now the first main component is the connection of the unit (in this case, an iPhone) to the factory radio. I purchased a cable from the Pacific Accessory Corporation that will connect my iPhone's digital port to the Shaker AUX input. The part # is uPAC-FRD24. This unit works with all Shaker and Apple units including the navigation radio and the iPhone; previous versions of this cable didn't.

PAC uPAC-FRD24 *::*IPOD DIRECT COMPATIBLE AUX ADAPTERS*::*AUX AND IPOD ADAPTERS*::*OEM Factory Aux Ipod Adapters & Changers*::*AUTOTOYS

I've verified this works and while not the most intuitive in terms of mapping the radio buttons to the controls on the iPod / iPhone, it does work and sound GREAT!

Now that the connection is made (I'd like to note that the cable plugging into the bottom of the iPod / iPhone "locks" and you must push in 2 little buttons to unplug it), you have 2 options that I see.

1) Throw the unit in the glovebox
2) Mount it

For a mounting solution, I've checked over quite a few brackets and mounting systems for the iPod and iPhone. First and foremost, do NOT waste your time in retail stores (at least not the ones in New Hartford, Utica - New York) as their solutions are not only ugly as sin but not very functional either.

I ended up buying a cradle and mount seperately. The cradle I found is a great little unit that lets you slide your device from the top and it slides down onto a digital connector. Now the beauty of this is the BACK of the cradle where you plug in your cables (audio AND video) and the input your device connects to is built into the cradle. Like I mentioned previously, the cable that plugs into the radio "locks" so this is an ideal cradle for those that don't want unsightly wires AND want to just put the iPod / iPhone into the device quickly!

Neo Car Audio :: The leader in OEM integration.

Now that the bracket is selected, we need to mount it! I've checked many mounts and this is really a personal choice. There are mounts that clip on, screw on, stick on, etc. I was between 2 of them but ended up going with the one that screwed on but did so with factory screws under the dash! The fact that it screwed on (durability) and was angled (usability) but didn't leave any visible markings was KEY for me!

PanaviseOnline.com: Panavise Online -

Alternative Clip Mount:ProClip Mounting System *-*Choose Your Country

All in all I'm VERY satisfied with this setup so far (don't have the MOUNT in yet but will update this thread when it is) and it's by far the best solution of integrating the iPod / iPhone I've found yet on the web.

On a side note, I also have an aftermarket Bluetooth system. With the iPhone, when there is an incoming call, it'll display the picture of the person calling (if you took one) AND not mute but pause the music while the call exists. For ALL aftermarket hardware, this works just as good as an integrated system!!

I also want to note that this DOES charge your iPod / iPhone as well.

COST:

Cable: $178
Cradle: $61.45 w/ shipping
Mount: $35.25 w/ shipping

TOTAL: $274.70 w/o installation

It's pricey but hey, you get what you pay for and I wanted an integrated / professional solution, not one where my music was over the air or tucked into the glovebox / center console.

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Lookin' good!

Didn't Ford themselves release a similar unit called TripTunes or something like that for iPod functionalilty?

I've personally never owned an iPod, so I never found the need for one of these, which is funny because the stereo I installed in the car has a pretty nifty iPod control:

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I installed the mount and took pictures. The company I got the mount from makes a really nice piece and it is apparent that they SAT in the vehicle when deciding measurements.

The depth from the dash, angle of the mount... everything is just right. I've included some pictures of the radio with and without the mount as well as some drivers eye view of the whole setup.

Also, with my aftermarket bluetooth set, the iPhone makes for an awesome MP3 / communications device. Its all aftermarket and yet functions just as good as factory devices.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ended up buying a cradle and mount seperately. The cradle I found is a great little unit that lets you slide your device from the top and it slides down onto a digital connector. Now the beauty of this is the BACK of the cradle where you plug in your cables (audio AND video) and the input your device connects to is built into the cradle. Like I mentioned previously, the cable that plugs into the radio "locks" so this is an ideal cradle for those that don't want unsightly wires AND want to just put the iPod / iPhone into the device quickly!

Neo Car Audio :: The leader in OEM integration.
Do you have any current information on the cradle? I looks really nice, but I am unable to find it on the Neo Car site. Do you have a model number handy?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts