Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a long time fan of Mustangs. I have always had one almost since getting my license. When I got married and a couple of kids came along, I traded in my 98 GT Rag for a family car. The mustang was too hard to get the kid seats and cargo into and out of. I have been missing my mustangs ever since. I have owned 5 up to now.

About a month ago, a buddy of mine called me up. Apparently one of the partners in his firm had a bit of bad luck. His wife had been out taking a sunday drive in her 1998 GT 5Speed hard top, when some looser ran a red and knocked the nose off of it. It hit right in front of the front wheel on the drivers side. Knocked off the bumper and headlights, bent the rails in front of the strut towers, wasted both fenders and hood. Opened the bags too.

Even though the car was not totaled, he decided not to fix it. He took the check from the insurance and bought the wife a brand new 05. His loss was my gain, and I picked it up from him for $1000. Enter mustang number 6!

I now have the perfect project car. A 1998 silver GT 5 speed with 42,137 miles on it. A brand new set of nittos on it. The suspension and passenger cell were untouched. If I put a new radiator and battery in it it would literally be drivable. It wouldn't look good, but it would be functional.

I am really excited to have such a low mileage car with so many possibilities for building my dream machine with no payment to worry about and with no warranty to void!:happyhapp

All ideas or suggestions are welcome as I decide how to put the fire back into this beast!

Casey

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hey Casey, welcome to AFM. Good luck with your project and keep us updated with your progress.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip

lcurle said:
Welcome to the site, You may want to check our www.50resto.com for some replacement OEM parts or www.stangparts.com
We have the technology, we can rebuild him!
I figure I need a front clip, and while I have the motor out while the body is reassembled, I will put a blower and set of pistons in the thing. Any other tips? I want a fire breather, but something I can still drive around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi and welcome to AFM ! Looking forward to a few photo's once you start your project ! A friend of mine did a rebuild and took photo's from the first day he purchased the car and what a cool photo album he's got now!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats a terriffic idea!!

PonyPal said:
Hi and welcome to AFM ! Looking forward to a few photo's once you start your project ! A friend of mine did a rebuild and took photo's from the first day he purchased the car and what a cool photo album he's got now!
Thats a great idea. I am really getting a lot of satisfaction out of putting this machine back together.

As it is a 98, I was toying with an engine swap for one out of a 99 or newer. I am told that it is a fairly simple swap, and that with minor exception, everything will plug right in. This brings a question to mind... I am also planning on a blower. From what I understand, if I keep the 98 engine and do a PI Headswap, I can't do much boost as the PI heads and the 98 pistons will raise the compression to high.

Would I be better off doing the entire engine swap, just a head swap or leave the stock 98 motor alone?:worship As I plan on a blower, which would net me the most horse power while still being able to run on pump gasoline?

I would like to get 350-400 ponies out of this car. Is that possible or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Casey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts