Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Iowa. I hope to have a new 06 Stang by the end of the month (later this week if all goes well).

I can't wait to get back into some American muscle. For the past 5 years I've been driving 2 different VW GTIs. I've enjoyed those cars. They're fun to drive and are furnished very nicely, but there was just something missing.

Some background (if you're bored I understand...nice to meet you though):

In the spring of 2000 I bought a Dakota R/T and loved it. Then winter came (remember, I'm in Iowa). I survived. Barely. It was embarrassing to get pulled out of my own driveway even though I had 500lbs of sand in the back. Then, when spring rolled around again, gas started to shoot up. So, I bit the bullet and went foreign. It was a very sad day.

The other day I finally got fed up and decided to go shopping for what I really wanted, and if it meant working from home on the worst winter days and paying twice as much for gas then so be it.

The one consolation I was willing to make was to look at 6 cylinder models instead of 8. This would help to pacify my wife on the subjects of fuel consumption and price.

My first stop was the Dodge dealer. I really like the looks of the Charger and 4 doors would be good for the kids, but I wasn't sure about getting an auto after 5 years of loving a manual tranny. The test drive left me unimpressed and quite discouraged. I was about to go home but decided to stop in at the Ford dealer. I looked at the 06s on the lot and eventually went in and talked with a dealer I'd worked with before. He asked if I'd ever driven the new style Mustang. "Um, no..." So he grabbed the keys to a stock, plain, basic 19k v6. I had low expectations.

As the cars were crammed in tightly (big dealership) he got in the drivers seat to pull the car out to an open part of the lot. When it started I was instantly pulled out of my reverie. Hmph...I said I wasn't interested in the v8. Wait...no fog lights. OK. I was intrigued.

As we pulled onto the back road he said, "don't be afraid to make her perform." Bwahaha! I'm not a professional driver, but I play one on the back roads. When we got back I was grinning from ear to ear and he was sweating, but I think he knew he'd made a sale.

He recommended I order exactly what I want as there aren't any incentives currently, but they have one on the lot that is exactly what I want except it has the anti-theft (not a big deal in Iowa) and it doesn't have the additional air-bags (not sure how I feel about that yet).

OK, thanks to those that relived yesterday with me :smoke: !

I hope to learn from those that have gone before. It will be fun getting back into a Mustang again. My last one was a '85 4-cylinder with a 4-speed stick. It really shouldn't have been called a Mustang!

For my first of many questions, how does it (the v6 with traction) handle in the snow/ice? My experience with the Dakota R/T is leaving me a little nervous about this...but I'm guessing it won't be nearly as bad.

Don't worry, I'm not always this long winded!

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Welcome to the board... I'm sure, and others here will agree, that you'll love the new Mustang regardless if you get the GT or V6. Both are great rides.

I've had my GT out on some slick roads this winter and it has helped me recover in a couple of turns. Still, it's not going to bail you out in a blizzard like a front wheel drive car. I'm sure the V6 traction wouldn't be much different.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Welcome to the board!
If snow traction is your concern, get a set of snow tires for the winter.

·
Registered
599 Posts
You will miss the posi....I had an 05 v-6 stick shift. I was gonna go from the stock 3.31 gears to 3.73 posi. It schould cost around $500.00 to get'em swapped out. That was my biggest beef on the v-6, ford should at least make it optional. Do drive both cars before u buy......GT and V-6. Bring the wife, and have her drive'm too. Just my .02 cents.....Welcome!:thumbsup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.